IGNORED

Southend United rename one of their stands

Northern Red

53 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I would expect that the population of Southend would not be aware of the connection with certain events and people nearer home.

Perhaps it might be one for the Moderators to close it down.

@Moderator

It's a bit like the name Huntley - everyone over a certain age is definitely aware of the name, even if they aren't aware of the full details.

It's an unfortunate oversight, that as soon as it's been pointed out, will probably result in the west stand bit dropped from the name.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

I would expect that the population of Southend would not be aware of the connection with certain events and people nearer home.

@Moderator

Why can it not be discussed? If it's good enough for The Times to be reporting it...

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

11 minutes ago, Taz said:

It's a bit like the name Huntley - everyone over a certain age is definitely aware of the name, even if they aren't aware of the full details.

It's an unfortunate oversight, that as soon as it's been pointed out, will probably result in the west stand bit dropped from the name.

Associated with Palmer

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

@Moderator

I'm confused....why would it be closed down?  And just because it happened on our doorstep really doesn't mean that people in Southend couldn't make the link! They are two of the most famous serial killers this country has ever had!

• Like 1

• Admin
3 hours ago, Northern Red said:

I'm guessing I will get a massive whoosh here - but what relevance is Gilbert to the link that is being made?

2 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

Why can it not be discussed? If it's good enough for The Times to be reporting it...

What is there to discuss?

Don't see threads about all the other stands being renamed around the UK

Surely people are not that desperate to want to discuss F & R West?

2 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

I'm confused....why would it be closed down?  

Do we really need a thread about F&R West on OTIB?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Admin
5 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

I'm confused....why would it be closed down?  And just because it happened on our doorstep really doesn't mean that people in Southend couldn't make the link! They are two of the most famous serial killers this country has ever had!

Thanks for the Ha Ha emoji - care to expand please?

I'm clearly missing something here

1 minute ago, phantom said:

I'm guessing I will get a massive whoosh here - but what relevance is Gilbert to the link that is being made?

What is there to discuss?

Don't see threads about all the other stands being renamed around the UK

Surely people are not that desperate to want to discuss F & R West?

Do we really need a thread about F&R West on OTIB?

Well....no....we don't need one but some of the threads that go off on a tangent on here and get left open.....  The potential for this to diverge into a lighthearted discussion about other potentially dodgy naming rights etc  wouldn't make it worse than any of those......Though the cliched Bell End one hasn't been humorous for year, I guess.

• Like 2

• Admin
Just now, Steve Watts said:

Well....no....we don't need one but some of the threads that go off on a tangent on here and get left open.....  The potential for this to diverge into a lighthearted discussion about other potentially dodgy naming rights etc  wouldn't make it worse than any of those......Though the cliched Bell End one hasn't been humorous for year, I guess.

I have just looked at the thread on my laptop - understand the name issue now, yeah I take the whoosh for this one

I get the point now about daft names of stands, it originally read to me like a thread about those monsters from Gloucester - time to go for a lie down

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

Thanks for the Ha Ha emoji - care to expand please?

I'm clearly missing something here

Funnily enough the ha ha emoji which has had a whooosh moment was actually in response to "I'm guessing I will get a massive whoosh here - but what relevance is Gilbert to the link that is being made?"!!!

I'm trying to work out if that is proper irony, or the Alanis Morisette kind!

Just now, phantom said:

I have just looked at the thread on my laptop - understand the name issue now, yeah I take the whoosh for this one

I get the point now about daft names of stands, it originally read to me like a thread about those monsters from Gloucester - time to go for a lie down

I actually thought you were being funny and other people were going to miss the joke! ?

• Like 1

• Admin
18 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Funnily enough the ha ha emoji which has had a whooosh moment was actually in response to "I'm guessing I will get a massive whoosh here - but what relevance is Gilbert to the link that is being made?"!!!

I'm trying to work out if that is proper irony, or the Alanis Morisette kind!

I actually thought you were being funny and other people were going to miss the joke! ?

Sadly not, I have a mare lol

9 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

@Moderator

I got a friend who’s claim to fame is that he got a blow job from Rose West! She was quite good at it too!

• Sad 1

Saw this piece earlier but could not reply to it.     First off Gilbert and Rose operate out of Leigh-On-Sea, a couple of miles out of the Centre of Town.    I don't think this is a faux-pas, they most likely intentionally went ahead with it knowing the interest it would generate for the company.   Got to admit, right or wrong, it's one way to attract business.      A lot of fans of the club aren't really taking offence to it, in fact they find it all rather amusing.     It's causing laughter for the most part rather than anything dark or edgy.  

Go past Roots Hall several times a week, can hear action and goals scored when a (real) game is underway simply by standing in the yard.     They were in the Second League (now Championship) not so long ago and saw a famous occasion when beating Manchester United on a League Cup night.     So they've had their time in the sun, just a shame for the community they're now non-league and looking a long way off from scaling the heights mentioned.

I think you'd have to be of a certain age to understand the West's diabolical actions, some kids today just wouldn't see the furore this thing could cause but guess many would just overlook it, particularly those not native to this area of Essex or that they don't have to play a game against the Shrimpers at all.

We play Forest Green this weekend, that's over in Gloucestershire where those evil things went on.   I think the point being if Forest Green had named one of their stands with the title discussed here, it really would have caused a scene.     Think it's a bit more benign this side of the country although has caused something of a stir if so inclined.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Southend Blue said:

Saw this piece earlier but could not reply to it.     First off Gilbert and Rose operate out of Leigh-On-Sea, a couple of miles out of the Centre of Town.    I don't think this is a faux-pas, they most likely intentionally went ahead with it knowing the interest it would generate for the company.   Got to admit, right or wrong, it's one way to attract business.      A lot of fans of the club aren't really taking offence to it, in fact they find it all rather amusing.     It's causing laughter for the most part rather than anything dark or edgy.  

Go past Roots Hall several times a week, can hear action and goals scored when a (real) game is underway simply by standing in the yard.     They were in the Second League (now Championship) not so long ago and saw a famous occasion when beating Manchester United on a League Cup night.     So they've had their time in the sun, just a shame for the community they're now non-league and looking a long way off from scaling the heights mentioned.

I think you'd have to be of a certain age to understand the West's diabolical actions, some kids today just wouldn't see the furore this thing could cause but guess many would just overlook it, particularly those not native to this area of Essex or that they don't have to play a game against the Shrimpers at all.

We play Forest Green this weekend, that's over in Gloucestershire where those evil things went on.   I think the point being if Forest Green had named one of their stands with the title discussed here, it really would have caused a scene.     Think it's a bit more benign this side of the country although has caused something of a stir if so inclined.  

Southend are playing Hertfordshire’s Boreham Wood this weekend. FGR are in League One now - you wish you were playing them!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

https://youtu.be/9UZ6A2KGGbg

I think it’s only fair to share this clip from This Country on Fred West, brilliant! ??

“I know he’s done some iffy things, but as a builder he was top notch” ?

A mate of mine went to Gloucester Art College.  His mate knew one of the West's kids and they were kind enough to let them leave their bikes round 25 Cromwell Street.   

Nice bloke apparently.   Only heard good things about him from people that knew him. 

• Like 1