IGNORED

The 100

Lanterne Rouge

I empathise with the cricket purists. However I know a few of my sons mates have had their cricket virginity lost to the 100. Now they love all forms of the game. Getting a young lad interested in cricket is not easy and if this helps then I’m fine with it.

(Also managed to blag box tickets for the final at Lords so I intend to take full advantage ????????)

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I empathise with the cricket purists. However I know a few of my sons mates have had their cricket virginity lost to the 100. Now they love all forms of the game. Getting a young lad interested in cricket is not easy and if this helps then I’m fine with it.

(Also managed to blag box tickets for the final at Lords so I intend to take full advantage ????????)

For most of us it’s not the actual cricket being played, though the format is odd and will probably soon be changed to T20.

Its the long term damage it’s doing to the county game. When I was young, August was the best month of cricket, championship, Sunday league and if you were fortunate you’d still be in the knockout cup. Well over 20 days cricket plus tests on the BBC.

This year at Taunton we’ve got 4 days of watching Somerset in 50 over cricket, minus 9 players unavailable because of the 100.

So what if we want to take our kids to the 100? Where do we go? There’s nowhere to go from down here because they’ve ignored one of the biggest cricket supporting areas in the country.

My question is, would your sons mates have got interested if the T 20 competition had been televised on free to air tv? This season’s Blast was absolutely brilliant, unbelievable scores with a format the world knows how to play. After tonight’s dreadful showing where they couldn’t even bat at a run a ball it beggars belief how we’ve got where we are.

It was a huge mistake that just about everyone realises but so many millions have been thrown at it we’re stuck with it….. for the time being.

• Like 4
  • Flames 3

And I haven’t even started on the Strauss report, which will have fewer counties playing less cricket.

It really annoys me when 100 fans think us opponents are just against the format and stuck in our ways.  it’s little to do with that and all to do with not having our beautiful game destroyed on the back of a few people making big bucks to come up with a new idea, which as I say has very little chance of remaining as the The 100, it’ll inevitably end up as a franchise T20 tournament 

• Like 3

For me it’s that the ECB never even tried to promote the blast to the same extent that they have with the hundred before abandoning it 

39 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Seatbelts on guys…this guy can’t drive!

Hes Cinderella, always late to the ball.

Come on, ducks on the menu!

And many more that I get to hear 120 times in every kids match!

Send those bails to wales 

• Like 1

part of me thought I was massively out of touch and didn’t know cricket anymore. All these big brains coming up with an idea that didn’t make any sense to me.  Just couldn’t understand who would watch it that wasn’t watching the blast. Seems I’m not going mad and it’s just as crap as suspected 

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

More misses than Henry VIII

Heard that one for the first time not long ago and laughed. I laughed at ducks on the menu as well but everything is said so often!! “Wicket ball” and “send him back” is literally every ball!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

part of me thought I was massively out of touch and didn’t know cricket anymore. All these big brains coming up with an idea that didn’t make any sense to me.  Just couldn’t understand who would watch it that wasn’t watching the blast. Seems I’m not going mad and it’s just as crap as suspected 

Heard that one for the first time not long ago and laughed. I laughed at ducks on the menu as well but everything is said so often!! “Wicket ball” and “send him back” is literally every ball!

At uni we each had to call 'jug ball' in the game, if a wicket fell that ball the caller had to buy a jug, was fun to see when everyone would call it when someone got brought on to bowl.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

In terms of viewing figures, it blows all other forms of domestic cricket out the window, and I can easily see why it has mass appeal.  

Because it's on free to air TV?

I remember the Ashes in 2005 and how excited so many people were about cricket. And then the ECB sold the rights to Sky so (potentially) millions of new fans couldn't get to watch it.

I've tried to watch the 100, I really have, but the presentation style turns it into "Cricket For Dummies" with the most godawful graphics you can imagine.

The format might be feasible, though it's just a variation/complication on T20 (which is globally popular and easy to follow), and seems to be a case of fiddling with the format for change's sake rather than identifying any shortcomings and working to improve them.

I love cricket, but really cannot stand the 100. Though I have tried, I really have.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

In terms of viewing figures, it blows all other forms of domestic cricket out the window, and I can easily see why it has mass appeal.  

What baffles me is why they took this approach to 100, and not T20.  

It’s SO important to get cricket on FTA.

The question is, as you say, why make up this format, why ignore the counties that people have a great affinity to and why completely ignore the whole of the cricket mad south west?

12 minutes ago, TomF said:

Gould was very anti 100 IIRC?  He knows the value of the counties. ECB loss is our gain as he was widely tipped to get the main gig until he spoke out about it 

Yep. Was seen as too much of a maverick who would rock the boat with the ECB so was overlooked on more than one occasion.

Still wouldn't surprise me if he did get that gig at some point down the line when there's been a bit of regime change.

58 minutes ago, Midred said:

Back in the olden days John Player league was on every Sunday on BBC2 as were Benson and Hedges matches on a Wednesday. 

Can remember Somerset playing a John Player game in Torquay. 

Brian Close while batting tried to sweep a spinner got hit in the gob with the ball, got his hankie out wiped all the blood of his face and carried on.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Can remember Somerset playing a John Player game in Torquay. 

Brian Close while batting tried to sweep a spinner got hit in the gob with the ball, got his hankie out wiped all the blood of his face and carried on.

Viv tells a brilliant story of Close fielding ridiculously near to the batsman who smacks it at him, it hits him full on the skull, knocks him to the floor & he’s pissing blood.

Viv rushes over & the first thing Close says, did you catch it?

Hard man.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Viv tells a brilliant story of Close fielding ridiculously near to the batsman who smacks it at him, it hits him full on the skull, knocks him to the floor & he’s pissing blood.

Viv rushes over & the first thing Close says, did you catch it?

Hard man.

Another one I heard was he got one full on the forehead, the ball ballooned up and was caught at gully. Brian was asked afterwards what would have happened if the ball had smacked him on the temple (potentially killing him) and his reply was `He`d have been caught at cover`!

• Haha 1