IGNORED

The 100

Lanterne Rouge

23 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

Because it's on free to air TV?

I remember the Ashes in 2005 and how excited so many people were about cricket. And then the ECB sold the rights to Sky so (potentially) millions of new fans couldn't get to watch it.

The argument for that at the time was that standard FTA channels couldn't schedule enough live cricket, so shortsighted when it was clear even then that something like Freeview with it's multiple channels was on it's way. 

Today it would be easy for ITV or Channel 4 or BBC via iPlayer to show cricket in multiple formats for as long as necessary.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

The argument for that at the time was that standard FTA channels couldn't schedule enough live cricket, so shortsighted when it was clear even then that something like Freeview with it's multiple channels was on it's way. 

Today it would be easy for ITV or Channel 4 or BBC via iPlayer to show cricket in multiple formats for as long as necessary.

That would be fine if they had sold the bulk of the rights to Sky, but left some to be sold to the BBC/C4. 

I know Sky love exclusivity and the ECB love money, but overall I think it really hurt cricket, right at the moment when the country woke up and started taking an interest again.

• Like 1

On 04/08/2022 at 08:35, BS2 Red said:

Because it's on free to air TV?

I remember the Ashes in 2005 and how excited so many people were about cricket. And then the ECB sold the rights to Sky so (potentially) millions of new fans couldn't get to watch it.

It was great until they cut off at 6.30 to show Hollyoaks!

Quite enjoyed that. Like the way there's a light-hearted element, Root on the pitch live whilst fielding 4 out of 6 shots in one over was funny, and interesting to see his lighter side. 

Hales superb, despite being a scumbag. And Malan is playing on another planet at the moment. 

Same time, annoyed England Test's have been shelved until mid-August because of it. 

I enjoyed that - will never stop being annoyed there isn't a team in SW England, but that was a fun game to watch.

Hales, purely on ability and form, is far more deserving that Roy in the last 12 months for me, but seems he will never be in the England squad again. Does anybody here know why he has been ostracized these last 3 years since his 21 day ban? 

Malan in superb form, I've certainly changed my opinion on him this year, he is smacking it at a very impressive strike rate.

I recall when TwentyTwenty cricket was first introduced, well, Twenty years ago it must be now. Wow, what a revolution that was!

Despite the ridicule of the stuffy old upper class MCC types, I was so excited that for the first time ever, our pro cricket heros were now playing the same game that we all played down the park when we were kids. 

Sadly though I'm really not getting the 100 at all. Maybe I'm secretly one of those posh upper class MCC types after all! ? 

11 hours ago, DolmanGaz said:

I enjoyed that - will never stop being annoyed there isn't a team in SW England, but that was a fun game to watch.

Hales, purely on ability and form, is far more deserving that Roy in the last 12 months for me, but seems he will never be in the England squad again. Does anybody here know why he has been ostracized these last 3 years since his 21 day ban? 

Malan in superb form, I've certainly changed my opinion on him this year, he is smacking it at a very impressive strike rate.

The impression that they gave at the time was that there'd been a number of issues and the ban was the final straw, basically that they felt he could no longer be trusted.

There's probably more chance of him coming back now Morgan has gone, but it still seems like a long shot.

• Like 1

I have no idea who any of these teams are, I have never had it on in my house. The only time I have seen it was at my father in laws place. (He has no interest in cricket, but likes the 100). I didn't really watch the game as I couldn't see anything past those God awful graphics.

I am afraid this is going to be a big blind spot for me at future pub quizzes...

• Flames 1

6 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Odd , don’t you think that you skulk about in a thread about a game you whine about, making little bitchy comments. Very odd behaviour

IF I was "skulking" about ,I wouldn't be posting, would I ? I just want to see what others think........and you seem to be in a minority, but don't cry about it .