IGNORED

The 100

Lanterne Rouge

On 04/08/2022 at 08:50, richwwtk said:

I've tried to watch the 100, I really have, but the presentation style turns it into "Cricket For Dummies" with the most godawful graphics you can imagine.

I think that’s the point. They want to attract new fans to the game who may not understand it or follow it. 

It’s so shite though, I can’t bare it.

Apparently Andrew Strauss has said that this abomination will continue til at least 2028 and the select teams will only play a limited no. of county games. I presume he has now got his business head on rather than the game as a whole as he thinks that this will improve the elite mens game! When the majority of the England squad are contracted out of playing any cricket between tests in struggle to understand how this will improve anything apart from the ECB income.

How continually playing limited over games will enhance the test players mindset for a 5 day game is beyond me.

I'm watching trent on their way to beating welsh fire. Sky talking about the welsh lot, saying "they need more Glamorgan players in their team, as they represent Glamorgan" - not even pretending any more that they are a team for the 3 SW counties!

I totally get why so many of you hate it - I'm a more recent cricket fan who loves watching England in white ball games, been to see several England games and Blast games, but much as I dislike aspects of this format, I am enjoying watching the english lads smack it about, on nights when there's no footy on.

On 27/08/2022 at 12:41, Midred said:

Apparently Andrew Strauss has said that this abomination will continue til at least 2028 and the select teams will only play a limited no. of county games. I presume he has now got his business head on rather than the game as a whole as he thinks that this will improve the elite mens game! When the majority of the England squad are contracted out of playing any cricket between tests in struggle to understand how this will improve anything apart from the ECB income.

How continually playing limited over games will enhance the test players mindset for a 5 day game is beyond me.

It was frustrating hearing Rob Keys interviewed by Atherton during the last Test. It's an immovable object in the calendar. Sounds like Keys has no power to do anything about it!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Fitting that in the wankest of competitions Trent Rockets have been set a little over a run a ball to win. Brilliant. 

I must admit, having taken no interest in it whatsoever, I was pleasantly surprised to see the finals were today and we can get back to proper cricket again from tomorrow.

• Flames 1

What was interesting was an interview on BBC Breakfast with some suit or other, and the interviewer ,for the first time, seemed to acknowledge that not everyone was a fan and there were naysayers (shock horror). As I say, that was the first time it has been dared to be mentioned on the beeb, so they seem to appreciate that not everything in the garden is rosy !

• Admin
17 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

The novelty has already worn off on this, watched a few last year out of intrigue but not seen any of this years version. From what I've read most of the big names aren't really turning up either?

I've seen about 20 balls bowled over the past two seasons 

Out of interest are the squads completely different each season? 

Must be hard to get interested in supporting anyone 

Well thank goodness that’s over. I must admit I did watch the end of the final and it was good to see two Devon born Somerset players in the final and Captain marvellous Gregory see his team home with a string of boundaries.

I think the organisers have finally realised that ignoring the south west is a huge mistake and we’ll see a team here next year.

Not sure how I feel about that, I won’t be going but at least we’ll be represented.

9 hours ago, phantom said:

I notice how the PR is already working this morning saying how attendances have increased with more families and females Etc

I wonder if they were like the IPL, just thousands of cleverly distributed free tickets handed out?

Well as the Sky commentators announced every game as a full house, when you could see empty seats everywhere, it would seem they’re up. From the bits I saw I’d say they were down, most grounds looked packed last year. And yes they do give tickets away.

If you want some true figures, the BBC announced a whopping 20% down on their viewing figures.

The womens game has really benefited and they’ve produced some great games. The mens, as Nassar admitted has already lost its edge, by and large there were a lot of dull games. The nature of having fewer overs suggests you should have more close games but that wasn’t the case.

This years T20 blast was a far better watch and I don’t think even the biggest Hundred fans can argue with that.

I don’t expect to see the same teams next season and it wouldn’t surprise me if they eventually revert to the T20 format. 

• Like 2