IGNORED

Not good news for bus users in North Somerset

Lanterne Rouge

3 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

X2 will mean fans from Claverham and Yatton will have to get to Cleeve. Maybe able to use the Community Airport buses but they're infrequent.

At the moment I think it`s just a bit of scaremongering to try and get some extra funding from somewhere.

Here`s a thought though: supposing North Somerset Council owned an area of land near a major sports venue that they could charge people attending to park on? Might raise a few quid for the coffers.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

At the moment I think it`s just a bit of scaremongering to try and get some extra funding from somewhere.

Here`s a thought though: supposing North Somerset Council owned an area of land near a major sports venue that they could charge people attending to park on? Might raise a few quid for the coffers.

We're  talking NS Council here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Is (the RHPC in) Failand technically in North Somerset?

9 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

From what I read, the council are no longer able to subsidise routes that don't make a profit under dft instruction, if true we will start to see many more rural routes quickly disappear in the coming months 

I work for Somerset County Council and as part of my job I have some dealings with bus services. I was in a meeting this week where we were setting up a focus group to deal with the overspend on bus services. Currently for the 5 councils (SCC, Som West & Taunton, North Somerset, South Somerset & Sedgemoor) we have a 13% overspend this year. So we are looking at how we can make savings. Obviously this will mean some services will need cutting but we are looking at other means such as fuel costs, contracts etc.

4 hours ago, Monkeh said:

From what I read, the council are no longer able to subsidise routes that don't make a profit under dft instruction, if true we will start to see many more rural routes quickly disappear in the coming months 

This is, true and the DfT instruction is ridiculous. If we are going to have a  defranchised service I always felt that bus routes should be sold in 3 year packages where neither the route or timetable could be changed during that time. Each package would include profitable routes and some which may not be profitable or even be loss leaders but which guarantee a service to the public. 

15 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Some routes are being axed from October. I don`t know if many City fans use these services to get to AG.

North Somerset bus routes to be axed in October, council warns - BBC News

It is great posting this information. If true what steps are there to complain or put a suitable case forward to reinstate a bus service. You have sort of dangelled waiting on some unfortunate ones that this will effect. Have you a proposal to fight this proposal to all that read your post

8 minutes ago, Pearcy said:

I work for Somerset County Council and as part of my job I have some dealings with bus services. I was in a meeting this week where we were setting up a focus group to deal with the overspend on bus services. Currently for the 5 councils (SCC, Som West & Taunton, North Somerset, South Somerset & Sedgemoor) we have a 13% overspend this year. So we are looking at how we can make savings. Obviously this will mean some services will need cutting but we are looking at other means such as fuel costs, contracts etc.

Why dont you scrap one of the many x3 or x4s that always look empty and keep the x5 going even if scaled down? 

15 minutes ago, City oz said:

It is great posting this information. If true what steps are there to complain or put a suitable case forward to reinstate a bus service. You have sort of dangelled waiting on some unfortunate ones that this will effect. Have you a proposal to fight this proposal to all that read your post

No idea. I live in West Devon so it doesn`t really affect me but thought it might others so just passing it on.

10 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

Why dont you scrap one of the many x3 or x4s that always look empty and keep the x5 going even if scaled down? 

I don't know the details of individual routes (not those ones you've mentioned). As someone else mentioned on this post there are issues with the subsidies. The routes being axed are no longer able to be subsidised I believe. If other routes are axed it will be for the same reason. A suggestion was made to make ticket prices more affordable which would potentially increase customer use, but this was dismissed immediately, that wouldn't be coat effective when we're already having to spend a lot subsidising certain routes.