IGNORED

good news if your on holiday in devon and cornwall

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’ll be in Frankfurt part of Cornwall. Robinstv for me, but good to know 722 has the radio commentary if internet goes down. 

You've got some weather coming your way, take yer factor 50 it'll be baking in Frankfurt (and Cornwall).

1 minute ago, RedRock said:

Was down near Porthtowan a couple of weeks back.

The place that time, tourists and parking wardens forgot and all the better for it. 

We love it.  As you say, a bit behind the times in some respects but never gets truly busy.

Up early tomorrow, taking daughter surfing to earn my Robinstv “pass” for the afternoon!

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

prefer portreathdorf,chips on the seafront from morrishes in redruth. gert lush

Don’t need to go to Redruth for top quality fish and chips, go to Illogen really top notch takeaway (as recommended to me by someone who was from Redruth). 

Edited by RedRock
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

prefer portreathdorf,chips on the seafront from morrishes in redruth. gert lush

⬇️⬇️⬇️

2 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Don’t need to go to Redruth for top quality fish and chips, go to Illogen really top notch takeaway (as recommended to me by someone who was from Redruth). 

Seasmiths in Porthtowan, online ordering only in slots, but really nice.

The best imho was Lewsey’s in St Agnes by driftwood spars pub.  But it closed a couple of years ago.  Was owned by Josh Lewsey, the Rugby player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redsquirrel said:

to be fair,there are lots of decent chippies in cornwall, cant beat the sea air  surrounding with a good portion

Yep, and the best chippies are usually away from the sea front so competing for local trade based upon product rather than position. There is one in Hayle back on an estate but I forget the name, Francine's in Newquay and the aforementioned Morrishes in Redruth for three.

Edit: and there's one up the hill in Bude that also offers deep fried Mars bars and spam fritters.

I quite liked the deep fried Mars bar, it was similar to eating a caramelly Christmas pudding.

Pasty shops are generally very good wherever they are as long as they're independent bakers.  The best combination of quality and value IMHO is Gear Farm on the Lizard but it's a long drive unless you're already in the area which negates the value aspect.

Edited by Eddie Hitler

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Pasty shops are generally very good wherever they are as long as they're independent bakers.  The best combination of quality and value IMHO is Gear Farm on the Lizard but it's a long drive unless you're already in the area which negates the value aspect.

Makes me laugh when you get these consumer surveys and one of the questions is `How often do you visit Greggs?` Why bother sending them out to people in Devon & Cornwall, we`d rather die than go in one.

Had a terrific pasty from Boscastle Bakery earlier while I was waiting for some people to leave so I could do a survey on a holiday let. Gert lush it was.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Yep, and the best chippies are usually away from the sea front so competing for local trade based upon product rather than position. There is one in Hayle back on an estate but I forget the name, Francine's in Newquay and the aforementioned Morrishes in Redruth for three.

do you mean the one on the way in off the double roundabout on a real windy little bit of road? if so,the old boy that ran that retired last year, i think its accomodation now but was very highly rated by the locals. been going to hayle twice a year for eons now,a30 main convenience to get anywhere. there is a newish chippy down by the viaduct now,think its sanders or saunders, they are fresh cooked every time and really nice

Edited by redsquirrel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, redsquirrel said:

do you mean the one on the way in off the double roundabout on a real windy little bit of road? if so,the old boy that ran that retired last year, i think its accomodation now but was very highly rated by the locals. been going to hayle twice a year for eons now,a30 main convenience to get anywhere. there is a newish chippy down by the viaduct now,think its sanders or saunders, they are fresh cooked every time and really nice

That sounds like it; it adjoined a big area of parking for the estate rather than for the chippy.

Shame that it's gone; and good that there is a replacement.