IGNORED

Message for mr pearson

Banjo Island

10 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Dead right, their man making the long cross field pass was not closed down and Sykes (as he did all game) offering no defensive cover at all. He is NOT a RWB.

Thought Sykes had a much quieter game today up to last week where he was good.  As a RWB you have to know when to bomb and when not to.  There were a couple of examples first half where the ball was loose just inside our half, but looked 40:60 that we’d secure possession…yet he’s bombed on, leaving Vyner exposed.

I think with Wilson now fit (and Tanner) we will see Sykes revert to a midfield role.  Useful for emergencies or in-game tactical changes without needing a sub, but we can use the right players now.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Thought Sykes had a much quieter game today up to last week where he was good.  As a RWB you have to know when to bomb and when not to.  There were a couple of examples first half where the ball was loose just inside our half, but looked 40:60 that we’d secure possession…yet he’s bombed on, leaving Vyner exposed.

I think with Wilson now fit (and Tanner) we will see Sykes revert to a midfield role.  Useful for emergencies or in-game tactical changes without needing a sub, but we can use the right players now.

Had a hunch we’d go unchanged (prior to James’ late withdrawal) but it didn’t really work.

Also with James dropping out today & Williams’ workload needing to be managed, we need him as a midfield option, especially as you say, because we have 2 RWBs, neither of whom has started a game yet.

Edited by GrahamC

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Had a hunch we’d go unchanged (prior to James’ late withdrawal) but it didn’t really work.

Also with James dropping out today & Williams’ workload needing to be managed, we need him as a midfield option, especially as you say, because we have 2 RWBs, neither of whom has started a game yet.

Yep, we have a league 1 attacking midfielder playing right wing back while having wilson and tanner not getting a look in. 

naismith should have been a top end championship player, but theres no reason to think anyone else coming in will be ready to step in seemlessly, we clearly still cant set up properly defensively.

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Very poor by Zak to let Simms cut back inside, but his defensive display first half was very good. He bailed out Naismith twice.

But he’s the scapegoat? ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

This situation was exacerbated by the fact that Sykes is a lazy bastard and didn't track back.....this created the massive space for them to play in. Vyner was the secondary player here.....slightly out of position but not entirely at fault. I thought that, at times, he appeared to be one of the stronger defenders in the first half.....needs to learn how a ball bounces and how to predict it. 

Mid-field can we have one please, in-case you havent heard of one its the bit that protects the defence and links the defence to the forwards. The midfield must consist of a "general" who bosses the area and those around him as close to a Mr GOW as possible please...thanks.

Zak Vyner did what Zak Vyner does yesterday and marred an otherwise solid performance with a piece of defending that blows your mind.

How he did not think to get touch tight and send Simms wide onto his left peg for that goal was painful to watch.

Naismith was at fault for the other two goals but doubt he will have a game like that again this year.

Unfortunately Zak will though, probably next week if picked.

Thats not scapegoating but educated fact based on his time with us.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, BS13 Robin said:

But it isnt just the two games this season is it,we have been poor most of the time he has been here!

But the poster I was replying to said we're 2nd from bottom, so used that as a stick to beat Pearson with. 

Pearson has done a good job so far in clearing out the shit slowly from this football club, bringing in the right people and actually bringing players through from our academy. 

Bad apples he ships out, and I have a lot of time for him, as I can see what he's trying to do. Rome wasn't built in a day. Don't forget what the football was like under our previous managers, with some of the signings we made, it set this club back years... 

• Like 7
  • Flames 2

2 minutes ago, Akira said:

But the poster I was replying to said we're 2nd from bottom, so used that as a stick to beat Pearson with. 

Pearson has done a good job so far in clearing out the shit slowly from this football club, bringing in the right people and actually bringing players through from our academy. 

Bad apples he ships out, and I have a lot of time for him, as I can see what he's trying to do. Rome wasn't built in a day. Don't forget what the football was like under our previous managers, with some of the signings we made, it set this club back years... 

absolutely agree. I get the frustration but he's had a lot of crap to deal with and no money to play with

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Akira said:

45 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

absolutely agree. I get the frustration but he's had a lot of crap to deal with and no money to play with

This is absolutely the problem. Mr Lansdown gambled on LJ/MA backed his judgement with gobs of cash which set us on our way toward a lot of crap players hanging on and an FFP issue on the horizon. 

Mr Pearson has/is off loading much of the garbage and got us down to a manageable size. We still have certain players on large contracts that we are unable to move, Including, but not limited to,  Massengo and Vyner and OLeary, for whatever reason, but, until we are able to move them on or cash in on Weimann/Scott/Semenyo leaves us in the position we find ourselves with players. (Unless we get a windfall from a sell on)

Personally I still think what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, but a win and a solid, competitive display over 90+ minutes is due over all of the coming games. 

Kalas and Semenyo coming in could not happen to soon! 

• Like 3

On 06/08/2022 at 17:32, redkev said:

Could do with a defensive midfielding bully , who breaks play up is aggressive and gives it simple  , and not no 5ft 5 player someone in the mild of a Marvin Elliot type player / physique.

that would then give us some sort of platform to go forward , where we are half decent , but you can’t keep conceading  week in week out . 

We e never really replaced Gerry Gow. Best in the business

• Haha 1

• Admin
13 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

The trouble with Zak is that he always seems to have a costly mistake in him. Unfortunately, in my opinion, you can't rely on him.

That said I thought he had a very good game on Wednesday, so credit where it's due.

The funny thing about that, if you talk to supporters of other teams it sounds like every club has a player like that. 

I'm going to Villa vs Everton tomorrow you just know Mings will cock up at some point in the game 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, phantom said:

The funny thing about that, if you talk to supporters of other teams it sounds like every club has a player like that. 

Exactly this. There always will be one player (or @Robbored!) who is not up to the standard and will get slated regardless of how hard he tries or is played out of position.
A few years ago it was Fontaine who’s confidence was destroyed by many on here. 
Once Zak leaves to a play at whatever level he’s best capable at, the abuse will turn to the next player and so it goes on. 

We’re all entitled to opinions but relentlessly pursuing a player will erode their confidence even further and make it worse - try to be constructive in your criticism and it might make them a better player!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Red DNA said:

Exactly this. There always will be one player (or @Robbored!) who is not up to the standard and will get slated regardless of how hard he tries or is played out of position.
A few years ago it was Fontaine who’s confidence was destroyed by many on here. 
Once Zak leaves to a play at whatever level he’s best capable at, the abuse will turn to the next player and so it goes on. 

We’re all entitled to opinions but relentlessly pursuing a player will erode their confidence even further and make it worse - try to be constructive in your criticism and it might make them a better player!

More than anything it was the reaction from the fans at AG when he made mistakes that destroyed his confidence. Nothing worse than 15k fans groaning and giving you the bird when you mess up. The poor guy became so nervous that he  could barely make a short pass

I actually felt really sorry for him.

Edited by Robbored

I think the reason why Zak gets slated is because he doesn’t learn. He lets players run off him too easily, can get pushed off too easily when the ball comes in. That defending for Simms goal was comical really…

You can’t afford defending like that at this level. He’s too nice.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

More than anything it was the reaction from the fans at AG when he made mistakes that destroyed his confidence. Nothing worse than 15k fans groaning and giving you the bird when you mess up. The poor guy became so nervous that he  could barely make a short pass

He needed to be stronger..

Zac needs to be stronger.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I actually felt really sorry for him.

Without wanting to sound harsh on Fontaine but that’s going to happen when playing in front of a live paying crowd. I never once felt sorry for him to be honest - he was a liability come the end just like Zak is now.

People pay good money to watch these highly paid ‘professionals’ and don’t expect mistakes week in week out which was where Fontaine was towards the end. 

It has been done to death on here but Vyner is far too mistake prone at this level.  It’s not really comparable to Fontaine anyway who was a very good centre half at this level for many seasons for us who just unfortunately lost his way towards the end of his career.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ultimately, the players who succeed at the higher to highest levels have to have a ruthless (or even an outright nasty) side to them. It’s a shield against the type of criticism with which other players crumble and fade away. Some players even thrive off ‘proving people wrong’.

Vyner doesn’t strike me as having that sort of mentality. Obviously I have a very restricted view, seeing him only once or twice per week in a 90 minute match. But from his body language on the pitch, and the recurrent nature of his concentration lapses, I don’t see evidence of grit, or determination, to overcome his weaknesses.

34 minutes ago, bris red said:

Without wanting to sound harsh on Fontaine but that’s going to happen when playing in front of a live paying crowd. I never once felt sorry for him to be honest - he was a liability come the end just like Zak is now.

People pay good money to watch these highly paid ‘professionals’ and don’t expect mistakes week in week out which was where Fontaine was towards the end. 

It has been done to death on here but Vyner is far too mistake prone at this level.  It’s not really comparable to Fontaine anyway who was a very good centre half at this level for many seasons for us who just unfortunately lost his way towards the end of his career

First highlight - fair point about us paying fans not expecting regular mistakes from the same player .Unfortunately when they happen its the negative reaction of the crowd that has a demoralising effect on that player and that’ll never change.

Second highlight - Fontaine moved to Scotland to continue playing and  that was the right move for him.I think he played north of the border for rest of his career.

We all saw Naismith mess up against Sunderland - what will happen if he messes up again today?………will he join Vyner on the fans naughty step?