IGNORED

Time for Nige to go upstairs?

glynriley

7 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

Personally I can’t find any reasons to like the bloke, he hasn’t endeared himself to the fans (can’t and don’t speak for everyone but that’s what I hear). Not a good enough record and he’s afforded too many chances and excuses are made for him and by him. I don’t think he represents the Bristol City I know and love and I won’t go back to the Gate whilst he’s in charge. 

Before I get pelted with ‘who else is there?’ posts, the truth is I don’t know. But I’m firmly ABP.

A major issue for me is we've spent the last two years overhauling the squad to get in a group of players to play a particular way and, whilst that's not working at the moment, I don't want us to throw everything out and start again. That's not necessarily to say that someone else couldn't come in and get better out of the players and system we are trying to play but, if we made a change, I'd want us to get a manager in who wanted to work with the bulk of the players to make tweaks rather than someone who wanted to move on half the team and start again. 

I also don't think personnel-wise, we are that far away. There are three or four players we need and two or three that either aren't good enough or don't work within the squad we have. I don't think that there is that much needed to turn us into a much better team. The question is whether Pearson can make that happen. 

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

A major issue for me is we've spent the last two years overhauling the squad to get in a group of players to play a particular way and, whilst that's not working at the moment, I don't want us to throw everything out and start again. That's not necessarily to say that someone else couldn't come in and get better out of the players and system we are trying to play but, if we made a change, I'd want us to get a manager in who wanted to work with the bulk of the players to make tweaks rather than someone who wanted to move on half the team and start again. 

I also don't think personnel-wise, we are that far away. There are three or four players we need and two or three that either aren't good enough or don't work within the squad we have. I don't think that there is that much needed to turn us into a much better team. The question is whether Pearson can make that happen. 

Maybe the question is will NP be given the resources to make that improvement.

4 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

We were missing three “power” players today…Semenyo and Kalas as starters and Pring as a squad player.  I do think getting them into the 11 / 18 gives us a different complexion.

Even though people are scapegoating Vyner today, he played ok today…but I think Sykes or Wilson outside him might prefer Klose.  That bit of leadership / comms imho would help the, as they settle in. That’s a bit harsh on Zak though…but needs must.

• Like 1

We have been here so many times in recent years.  The turnover in managers hasn’t provided the sustained improvement we have all been hankering after.

Not really a surprise to those of us who have been consistent in saying that the problem lies with SL and the dreadful BS.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

Personally I can’t find any reasons to like the bloke, he hasn’t endeared himself to the fans (can’t and don’t speak for everyone but that’s what I hear). Not a good enough record and he’s afforded too many chances and excuses are made for him and by him. I don’t think he represents the Bristol City I know and love and I won’t go back to the Gate whilst he’s in charge. 

Before I get pelted with ‘who else is there?’ posts, the truth is I don’t know. But I’m firmly ABP.

Pack it in you attention seeking danger.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yes I typed too quick. Of course he has changed the culture and when he speaks about problems with the club and solutions they make lots of sense. There is a lot to like about NP. 

As you said though, it is on Saturday where he can’t get it right. And while I agree the finances have set us back, think we have signed enough under NP he should be getting more out of the players he has. Even if a couple players out.

Also, this should be the comfortable season. Our 2 best players are seemingly is their last season with us. Semenyo has only a year left after this season. As said, his sale will be vital for the finances. Then Scott we have control of but how do we match his ambition? This season might fly as he is playing mens football for the second straight season but will he be ok to struggle with us again if prem clubs are calling? If there is little enjoyment this season, what are we holding onto next season? 

Agreed, It's an annoyance - as Nige has the analysis downpat - he knows what we need.

We just have no way to obtain those jigsaw pieces, and we only stand to lose more of those we hold.

This window we simply need a RCB CM and ST.

Most of the signings (barring an error from Kal) have looked good - I can see the idea behind the likes of Sykes, Naismith, Wilson.

The problem is that there are certain players (Martin, Massengo/James, Vyner) where we need to upgrade, but simply can't until we trade out.

It is what it is.

• Like 3

We are at least 4 players short in terms of signings.

Give him the tools are he will do a good job.

We have been short of 1 midfielder for a at least 12 months then Bakinson goes so that makes 2.

We have no frontman with pace to play through the middle.(Syemenyo better wide in front 3)

Also probably need a centre half with pace.

The plates coming in have been ok  - but that’s it but what do we expect for ‘Frees’ 

We are just the other side of having a decent team it just needs maybe 3 players - but they have to come in a be ‘starters’ 

Then give him 20 games and judge him.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We were missing three “power” players today…Semenyo and Kalas as starters and Pring as a squad player.  I do think getting them into the 11 / 18 gives us a different complexion.

Even though people are scapegoating Vyner today, he played ok today…but I think Sykes or Wilson outside him might prefer Klose.  That bit of leadership / comms imho would help the, as they settle in. That’s a bit harsh on Zak though…but needs must.

Add James as well Fevs.

• Like 1

Whilst only two games the worrying characteristics are all there again in that we need to score 3 goals to win.  We still cannot defend and to not address this is becoming negligent. Today, Atkinson and Naismith are his signings. At RWB he signs two people who have played either as a RB/RWB in Wilson, Tanner but plays a midfielder who he also signed.  Klose another of his signings was also on the bench.   

I agree that Semenyo and Kalas will make us significantly stronger as will Pring.  We must be royally screwed if we cannot afford a couple of loans as NP stated that we didn’t have a defensive midfielder in the building & we still haven’t.

Our squad is threadbare & unfortunately it will be rare that our best 11 will be on the pitch. Not overreacting just yet but if we are still saying the same things end of August then there needs to be a change.   If we have to trade Scott then so be it as we are so weak as a starting 11 without the injured players and have no depth.   Thoroughly depressing performance today 

• Like 14

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

One thing I find perplexing, Dave, is that we have limited cash but we seemed to have spent the money on two players for the same position. (Or, on the other hand, why did we bring in Sykes if the original attention was to teach him a new position? He was a right midfield player at Oxford according to my Oxford-supporting colleague.) Surely we should have used the limited budget to try to bring in a player in another position. We have Tanner - but he’s now looking like a waste of cash. 

Today was a shambles. The 25-odd minutes after we scored our second was embarrassing. And IMHO extremely worrying. We looked a relegation team in August. I didn’t actually think Sunderland were that great. Good in parts, and in some positions, but not what you can come against in this league.

Semenyo can’t come back soon enough.

All in all, a depressing day. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

2 games in and 2 defeats,end of the world and Pearson out is the general theme of this thread,Christ almighty 

It is probably more the 15 or so wins in 60 or so games. And the abysmal defensive record that he has has 3 windows to sort. Keep in mind he has signed 3 cbs and a midfielder to help shield that defence. In fact the only position he hasn’t signed players for(the attack) are the only ones consistently contributing. 

• Like 2

He's not worked out our best team yet, I'm not sure we'll see Sykes at wing back again with Wilson and Tanner available, he's out of position there and struggled a bit, also Viner will make way for Kalas/Klose/Pring. Not sure about Naismith after today may be better to get Klose back in that position where he did so well and move Naismith elsewhere.

Nige has to be given until the end of November no point in making rash decisions now. At least we're still scoring goals and creating chances.

1 minute ago, firstdivision said:

One thing I find perplexing, Dave, is that we have limited cash but we seemed to have spent the money on two players for the same position. (Or, on the other hand, why did we bring in Sykes if the original attention was to teach him a new position? He was a right midfield player at Oxford according to my Oxford-supporting colleague.) Surely we should have used the limited budget to try to bring in a player in another position. We have Tanner - but he’s now looking like a waste of cash. 

Today was a shambles. The 25-odd minutes after we scored our second was embarrassing. And IMHO extremely worrying. We looked a relegation team in August. I didn’t actually think Sunderland were that great. Good in parts, and in some positions, but not what you can come against in this league.

Semenyo can’t come back soon enough.

All in all, a depressing day. 

The dilemma of selection when your RWB gets a knock on their ankle pre-season and the replacement plays well enough to afford you the opportunity to bring your “Starboy” into the eleven perhaps a game or two earlier than you thought.

I’m pretty sure had Wilson been for Bournemouth, he’d have played RWB on opening day, and Sykes as the S in WSM. We wouldn’t be having this conversation.

Unless James is ok for Wednesday, I think Scott will move back into midfield alongside “someone” (Williams will be rested I reckon), Sykes will play 10, and Wilson will start at RWB.

A classic case of why I don’t go heavy on best elevens.  You rarely have them fit, available and in-form.  Fun, eh?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Shocking goals conceded today, plus a few hairy defensive moments too made for a viewing today with hands over eyes at time.

But how do you legislate for Naismith’s error inside 4 minutes?

How the hell (polite word) does Vyner let Simms cut back inside for their equaliser?

Then too much time for Pritchard to cross and then Naismith gets underneath the ball for Stewart to beat him in the air for their winner.

First half there were some lovely passages of play, second half we were second best for the first half hour, despite the hope given from going 2-1 up. We looked a bit one-paced, a bit leggy. We looked soft at times.

Perhaps we missed Matty James, Williams had a very up and down game.

We need to find a way of finishing stronger.  Perhaps players with a bit of physicality like Kalas (when he’s fit) and Pring might give us something a bit different.

Coventry (a) on Wednesday will be an interesting team selection.

Pearson said on radio Bristol that he ain't changing the team which gives me the shits. He genuinely sounded clueless, borderline uninterested. 

41 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Maybe the question is will NP be given the resources to make that improvement.

Question is, do we want NP to be given the resources?

Just now, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Pearson said on radio Bristol that he ain't changing the team which gives me the shits. He genuinely sounded clueless, borderline uninterested. 

He slightly retracted that a bit later in the interview when he said “he’ll need to sit down and give it some thought” or something like that.

I would imagine he’d have liked to have gone ballistic - but not the thing to do on radio!

1 hour ago, glynriley said:

Who is this question aimed  at?? Have the nads to quote people. 

I know we haven’t got a pot piss but not being able to set up a team to defend is awful. Some of the worst teams under the likes of Pulis and Allardyce knew how to keep a clean sheet

Have the Nad's?........Really?.......We haven't got pot piss?  At least  Before i had Nad's , I began learning English?  ?  PS.  Let's start a campaign to bring back Pullis?  Ha!

Just now, Davefevs said:

He slightly retracted that a bit later in the interview when he said “he’ll need to sit down and give it some thought” or something like that.

I would imagine he’d have liked to have gone ballistic - but not the thing to do on radio!

Fair I appelreciate he doesn't want to air the dirty laundry in public but ficking hell nige? Give us a crumb of confidence you know what you're doing 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maxjak said:

Have the Nad's?........Really?.......We haven't got pot piss?  At least  Before i had Nad's , I began learning English?  ?  PS.  Let's start a campaign to bring back Pullis?  Ha!

Sorry professor. You’re obviously the new  Williams Shakespeare