IGNORED

Time for Nige to go upstairs?

glynriley

Just now, maxjak said:

Just wondering what you thought of Scott's performance today?    

Very good first half, good last 15 too.

We just couldn’t get him on the ball in that 25 minute period where we lost the game.

I wanted him in central midfield.  FWIW I’d get rid of trying to replicate WSM whilst Semenyo isn’t fit.  Flatter midfield three, still happy if we play WBs though, but more 352 than 3412.  Think it would help Massengo too if he was part of an extra resourced midfield too, especially if James out.  So Alex Scott back into midfield for me.

But today he showed he can play and be effective in the hole, when we are playing better.  But he wasn’t able to influence in our poor period.  That is where we must improve.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

21 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

I’m not. I am a Bristol City fan giving my personal opinion on an online forum for the opinions of Bristol City fans. No drama fella. It’s not that hard a concept to grasp. 

Welcome opinion and we all see things different, but at the end of the day we all want the same, it's the whole stamping feet I am not going until Pearson leaves where you lose it.

• Like 5

Let’s all calm down

Gary J used to say make judgements after 10 games.

Lee J said the new team has to bed down

Many of us think we are probably not done in terms of incoming players

So let’s stay as calm as possible.  If it is still pear shaped after all that, I have no idea what we can do under present ownership.

2 hours ago, Agard Days Night said:

Personally I can’t find any reasons to like the bloke, he hasn’t endeared himself to the fans (can’t and don’t speak for everyone but that’s what I hear). Not a good enough record and he’s afforded too many chances and excuses are made for him and by him. I don’t think he represents the Bristol City I know and love and I won’t go back to the Gate whilst he’s in charge. 

Before I get pelted with ‘who else is there?’ posts, the truth is I don’t know. But I’m firmly ABP.

The only thing I would say, is that Nige had no reason to take this on. I think early on he realised the size of the task. IN spite of his own ill health, he's fighting to see it through.
Added to which, first half today we played some passages of play that topped anything I've seen with regards to fluidity in the last 4 years.

I understand he's a marmite character, and it may not work out - but he's our manager - I'll (personally) support him until it's clear it has not worked out, or there's no coming back.

Edited by Fuber
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

The dilemma of selection when your RWB gets a knock on their ankle pre-season and the replacement plays well enough to afford you the opportunity to bring your “Starboy” into the eleven perhaps a game or two earlier than you thought.

I’m pretty sure had Wilson been for Bournemouth, he’d have played RWB on opening day, and Sykes as the S in WSM. We wouldn’t be having this conversation.

Unless James is ok for Wednesday, I think Scott will move back into midfield alongside “someone” (Williams will be rested I reckon), Sykes will play 10, and Wilson will start at RWB.

A classic case of why I don’t go heavy on best elevens.  You rarely have them fit, available and in-form.  Fun, eh?

Yes, good point.
But we’ve changed the plan from pre-season because Wilson got a knock in training. And we acquired a player with the intention of changing his position plus he won’t get in the first eleven when Semenyo is fit (although I take your point that we, inevitably, will need different first elevens).

I think my point is that Sykes was not a priority signing when you consider the problems elsewhere.

Mind you, we needed a defender, brought in Naismith, and thought we’d pulled off a coup - and  that turned to dust today (admittedly it was only one day). 

1 hour ago, Fuber said:

The only thing I would say, is that Nige had no reason to take this on. I think early on he realised the size of the task. IN spite of his own ill health, he's fighting to see it through.
Added to which, first half today we played some passages of play that topped anything I've seen with regards to fluidity in the last 4 years.

I understand he's a marmite character, and it may not work out - but he's our manager - I'll (personally) support him until it's clear it has not worked out, or there's no coming back.

His reputation was going down the pan and be realised this may be his last chance to prove himself at Championship level. 5 years ago NP wouldn't have touched BCFC, but after  dire time at derby and in Belgium, plus an unsuccessful but challenging gig at Watford, his career trajectory is firmly downhil. He hasnt arrested that slide with us. 

So ultimately I think he had every reason to take us on, a solid Championship side on a poor run giving him the opportunity to try and turn around his flagging managerial career.

4 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

At what point do we hold the manager responsible? 

I get it. We have no money….but neither do a lot of teams right now yet they seem to be pulling off some cracking loan signings . 

The concern today wasn’t losing. It was the way we lost. We looked unfit, we looked weak, we looked slow 

Absolutely dreadful 

Fait play to Sunderland. Another club coming from behind us and over taking us 

Sunderland are a bigger club, more history bigger fan base.  

Think it is too premature to judge at the moment, and I think I would wait to see the impact having our best player semenyo back has on our performances? But 18 months in and a 26% win rate should suggest that this isn’t working out,

oh for a streaky Lee seven game winning run anytime soon.

1 hour ago, RudiRed said:

His reputation was going down the pan and be realised this may be his last chance to prove himself at Championship level. 5 years ago NP wouldn't have touched BCFC, but after  dire time at derby and in Belgium, plus an unsuccessful but challenging gig at Watford, his career trajectory is firmly downhil. He hasnt arrested that slide with us. 

So ultimately I think he had every reason to take us on, a solid Championship side on a poor run giving him the opportunity to try and turn around his flagging managerial career.

I'd argue he could've easily held out for another EPL job. I think his spell out with COVID, more than anything, limited his chances in that regards.

23 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

I’m not stamping my feet, I’m voting with them. 

Question, then - did you do the same with O'Driscoll?

36 minutes ago, BS3_RED said:

Has any of our stato's got his win rstios compared to other managers?

I wonder if the stats match what a lot of us feel.

The stats are out there but I dont think its entirely helpful to compare peas with carrots.

Nige has had to engage with a big re-building job , to cut costs and assemble a team with acute financial restrictions.

Some of the re-building is solely so that the team is "his team" - in his image so to speak and there may be players he didnt like or want but could have done perfectly well with other Managers or set-ups.

I think that progress should be more easily be assessed by looking at how he has or hasnt coached his  team/ this team irrespective of whether he signed the players. How he has managed to deal with the defensive issues and general style of play.

He has managed 63 games 

Won 16 ( unless you count his first game when he didnt pick the team and sat in the stands)

Drawn 13

Lost 34

This is a win ratio of 26% which is the worst in his career since he managed Carlisle which was last century (1900's)

He has been in charge for 1 year 5 months and 14 days.

As far as the OP- no way! He should not "go upstairs"!! he should carry on and try to get his team playing and winning or just going in the right direction. If he isnt up to that task what possible good will he do in a DOF type role.

Tough times but 2 games in of a new season and even I'm not calling for his removal at this point- yet. My thoughts on Pearson & Fleming are no secret.

Its easy to panic but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. We're missing two of our best players, a quick defender who has a big leap and a strong running quick forward.

In broad terms Kalas is an experienced Czech Republic International defender and at £8M is our record signing and Semenyo is potentially worth £20M+ if he carries on his upward trajectory.

Looking at yesterday's match, with Kalas on form he deals with their forward line easily and certainly prevents the third goal if not the first.

Semenyo easily would've caused them problems at the back with his strong running style. I don't think they were particularly good at the back.

• Like 1

This is not a typical season as the fixture list is initially very crowded. We have, I think, 8 league games in August? This will shake out in the next month or so, because the 10 games in threshold will come v quickly. Personally I’m a bit bemused by the Pearson experience. I really like the theory of him as manager - quite different from before, shake up the lazy players stealing a good living, proven track record at this level. But I thought some things were a given- good organisation, strong spine, high work rate, bit of niggle. In other words, more perspiration than inspiration, but with a shout at pulling it off. Yet our defence is the most porous it’s ever been in my 50 years of supporting City. We’re going to have to see this through, I think, as we have no money to spend and frankly Steve L left the building about 18 months ago ( as he’s entitled to and as I would if I was him). 

Edited by Bedred31
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BS3_RED said:

Has any of our stato's got his win rstios compared to other managers?

I wonder if the stats match what a lot of us feel.

Why are we so fixated by win percentage. He took over a car crash, is 20/21 really relevant?  Last season it was 32.6%.  This season it’s 0%. ??‍♂️

What stats in particular are you after…and what feeling are you trying to justify by those stats?

As I’ve said many times before, we are trying to recover from an awful position he inherited…that’s wider than what happens over 90 minutes.

The results and aspects of both performances this season have been very disappointing. There has been some good stuff too though.  But I agree with most that we should be doing better, but only a bit better….but some opinions are very extreme.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Very good first half, good last 15 too.

We just couldn’t get him on the ball in that 25 minute period where we lost the game.

I wanted him in central midfield.  FWIW I’d get rid of trying to replicate WSM whilst Semenyo isn’t fit.  Flatter midfield three, still happy if we play WBs though, but more 352 than 3412.  Think it would help Massengo too if he was part of an extra resourced midfield too, especially if James out.  So Alex Scott back into midfield for me.

But today he showed he can play and be effective in the hole, when we are playing better.  But he wasn’t able to influence in our poor period.  That is where we must improve.

I agree with this, especially not replicating WSM without Semenyo.

13 hours ago, Fuber said:

How far are you (personally) happy for the rot to set in until it’s clear it has not worked out?