IGNORED

Massengo

Silvio Dante

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

There isn’t one because he couldn’t do anything about the goals (if I’m being hyper critical on the first it’s close to him  but was taken very early) and made two world class saves.

Really weird comparison. Totally different types of players, and Hartley was proven, and positionally excellent. Massengo positionally is all over the shop (or was yesterday) and it’s not the first time. If he doesn’t improve on that, notwithstanding any ability, he’ll struggle moving forwards as he won’t have the benefit of “learning the game”.

For me the key here is that Scott had to go back into CM. Not as an extra body, but to swap with HNM. I know Nige when asked said “he did alright” but when you’re physically pulling him out of where he’s supposed to be playing (which is his natural position) then there’s no other conclusion that he was playing badly. And again, if a CM is not presenting angles or making a position to recieve the ball, you cannot relieve pressure or play the ball out.

Another through his legs too and I’d expect a ‘top’ keeper to do better with the first

he gets away with a lot from our fans (Imo).  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Another through his legs too and I’d expect a ‘top’ keeper to do better with the first

he gets away with a lot from our fans (Imo).  

I've made my feelings known about him for a couple of years now. There's a  reason why Brentford let him go. We've leaked goals constantly since he's been here despite changes in the back like, time for a new No1 long overdue. His only real competition has been Max who isn't really championship quality. Maenpaa was way better and shame be got injured. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 06/08/2022 at 18:17, Dullmoan Tone said:

He took the safe pass and the move stalled eventually as they regrouped.

100% correct and it happened more then once on Saturday and many, many times before. I assume he is trying to keep his "completed pass" rate high for the scouts and Stats! He was not alone in doing this, but as he adds very little else in other areas, It makes you wonder how he is worth a place in the squad..

I can only remember him chasing after the ball in areas we already had other players covering and pirouetting with the ball until he was disposed, he has become a show pony and is just waiting to leave and make his you tube clips impressive.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Super said:

Was he really any worse than Williams?

No, he wasn’t.

For me that is as bad as I’ve seen Williams play for us.

I know he was on a yellow, but let’s be honest, that isn’t exactly a situation he has never encountered before but he was really very poor.

Didn’t get on the ball, well off the pace against their midfielders & looked like he was badly missing James to me. I’d have thought about giving King the last 15 minutes to see if he could have improved matters.

I’m not saying HNM was much better, but just like the Naismith/Vyner comparison where one has cost us 2 goals, the other one & provided an assist, it isn’t being considered on the evidence of the game.

• Like 2

So many of the negative comments (headless chicken etc) are similar to those applied to Andi a couple of seasons ago and he was 29 and a vastly more experienced player. Andi took time to find his position, his form and how to play within our team set-up. He was however played consistently which Han has not been. With his contract situation (his own fault) he is not helping his case but defensively he always seemed to struggle mentally to adapt to teams with differing styles in the Championship.

Personally I think he needs to play further up the field so mistakes are less costly and where he can improvise more to make things happen. Running at players  with the ball rather than chasing them after he has been by-passed. Will it happen here ? Probably not and probably not in England

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Super said:

Was he really any worse than Williams?

The yellow card did it for Williams. Take away his agression in the tackle and competitive nature  and you’ve reduced the player to a spectator. 
I feel that Largish Nige could have subbed him earlier to get King on, for example. We looked weak in midfield yesterday which has and continues to be a problem. 
Still a win on Wednesday and Saturday will see us all optimistic again.

Edited by Major Isewater
  • Like 1

On 07/08/2022 at 13:39, paul_fox said:

I've made my feelings known about him for a couple of years now. There's a  reason why Brentford let him go. We've leaked goals constantly since he's been here despite changes in the back like, time for a new No1 long overdue. His only real competition has been Max who isn't really championship quality. Maenpaa was way better and shame be got injured. 

We’ve leaked goals the entire time we’ve came back up other than one season with Webster.

Lets wait for Nige's pre-match talk with club or BBCRB....could be a knock (update: tonsillitis), could be the consistency from Nige that he will use him when he needs him as he hasn't signed contract.  I'm fine with that.  Might be a wake up for Han if he is fit.  Maybe could come to a head?

Edited by Davefevs

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Lets wait for Nige's pre-match talk with club or BBCRB....could be a knock (update: tonsillitis), could be the consistency from Nige that he will use him when he needs him as he hasn't signed contract.  I'm fine with that.  Might be a wake up for Han if he is fit.  Maybe could come to a head?

Nige’s interview suggests that it just wasn’t worth risking him today as he will be needed on Tuesday 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Bump. 

As the person who started this thread, everything Han did badly against Sunderland he did well today. Positionally very good, biting in tackle, used ball well. Excellent.

I think with Massengo that is what you get, 100% biting player with skill, it either comes off or doesn't, hence brilliant or below par, you never seem to get anything else.  Personally I like him, Even when stuff is not coming off you can never question the effort.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Bump. 

As the person who started this thread, everything Han did badly against Sunderland he did well today. Positionally very good, biting in tackle, used ball well. Excellent.

Thought he grew in to the game and was very good second half.

1 minute ago, cityexile said:

Thought he grew in to the game and was very good second half.

I noticed during one break in play he came to the touch line and spoke to Pearson, a smile on both their faces, maybe he might see the light and realise that another couple of seasons at this level and with this coaching team will serve his football education well.

1 minute ago, bexhill reds said:

I noticed during one break in play he came to the touch line and spoke to Pearson, a smile on both their faces, maybe he might see the light and realise that another couple of seasons at this level and with this coaching team will serve his football education well.

I think he is gone, Pearson clearly likes him as a player or he would not be near the first team, and I think running down his contract rlis what is frustrating to Pearson, Massengo will always give 100% and his attitude is first rate, but the run down of his contract can sit easy with Pearson or those upstairs. Thankfully Pearson isn't being too belligerent and knows he can use the talent while he is still here.

Personally I hope he stays, but I think he has proven enough (other than goalscoring) to earn himself something lucrative elsewhere and probably at a higher level.

• Like 1

Like my post in the match thread, thought he was as close to a 10/10 at this level as you can get.

Loved him giving Scott a good taking too first half - what a leader.

think he will be the best bit of business we have done in a long time and can see him being our captain if Bentley leaves. 

(just realised I’ve put this in the wrong thread ? meant to be about Naismith if a mod can merge kindly)  ?

Edited by CiderHeadDan

6 minutes ago, TRL said:

I think he is gone, Pearson clearly likes him as a player or he would not be near the first team, and I think running down his contract rlis what is frustrating to Pearson, Massengo will always give 100% and his attitude is first rate, but the run down of his contract can sit easy with Pearson or those upstairs. Thankfully Pearson isn't being too belligerent and knows he can use the talent while he is still here.

Personally I hope he stays, but I think he has proven enough (other than goalscoring) to earn himself something lucrative elsewhere and probably at a higher level.

Perhaps so, if he pulls that sort of performance out each time he starts then we’ll miss him.

10 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Perhaps so, if he pulls that sort of performance out each time he starts then we’ll miss him.

I think we will. There is plenty to like with his game, I think the frustration when people complain about him is more to do with what you know he can do when he is on it.  And that can't be a bad thing.

And lets not forget he is still very young for a 1st team central midfielder who let's be fair when on it can dictate games, then add in he is playing in a foreign country where he is not speaking his mother tongue.

Personally I think the lad is fantastic when you take all of that into account

Edited by TRL
  • Like 2