IGNORED

Sell out....but not a full house

The Humble Realist

What is our actual max capacity ? The club said today was a sell out with 24,500 announced as the attendance but there were way too many empty seats for it to be just 'season ticket holders on holiday '

Anyone know the reasons for us not being able to literally fill the ground or was it just marketing PR by the club to promote a sell out without actually selling all the tickets?

7 minutes ago, The Humble Realist said:

What is our actual max capacity ? The club said today was a sell out with 24,500 announced as the attendance but there were way too many empty seats for it to be just 'season ticket holders on holiday '

Anyone know the reasons for us not being able to literally fill the ground or was it just marketing PR by the club to promote a sell out without actually selling all the tickets?

Sunderland only sold 2,000 and something tickets in an end that holds what 4,500? 

Mistake to give them so many, should have given a block to our fans

• Robin 1

9 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I think our biggest crowd was against Man Utd 26,088. Todays game was maybe a sell-out in the home area but not in the Atyeo.

There were quite a few empty seats in upper lansdown and the south stand . I sit in the doorman so couldnt see but a few dotted around near me. No way it was a 'full house ' in the home end 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Humble Realist said:

There were quite a few empty seats in upper lansdown and the south stand . I sit in the doorman so couldnt see but a few dotted around near me. No way it was a 'full house ' in the home end 

There were a lot of season ticket holders on holiday, season tickets count toward the official attendance whether people are there or not

54 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

There are always seats in the middle section of the lower Lansdown that are empty. I think you have to buy a hospitality package to sit there, so they don’t sell 

That was pretty annoying to be fair. At kickoff you had three blocks in the lower Lansdown where nobody was sat. Much like when the same happens at Wembley, it just creates a bad impression (we’re lucky the hard TV camera points to the Dolman)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Sunderland only sold 2,000 and something tickets in an end that holds what 4,500? 

Mistake to give them so many, should have given a block to our fans

'Think' it holds 4,200 and 'think' they sold 3338,,so 862 seats in the dolman corner not allocated I 'think' ..

1 minute ago, MattWSM said:

'Think' it holds 4,200 and 'think' they sold 3338,,so 862 seats in the dolman corner not allocated I 'think' ..

I thought I heard Downsy say the crowd included 2,300 (ish) from Sunderland. But as I was in the middle of the Dolman he could have quite easily have been announcing the results of the 50:50 draw for all I know :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

So. 27,000 capacity. 
Less 862 that Sunderland didn’t sell = 25,838. 
Apparently all home tickets were sold. 
Attendance given was 24,543. 
So I guess 1,295 people purchased a ticket (not SC holders as they get counted regardless, an actual purchase), and didn’t bother to show up. 
That’s somewhat odd. 

Other reports yesterday suggested the home ticket sales were around the 23,000 mark. So, with the 3,338 away fans, that would make 26,338. Again, somewhat short - 1,795. 

Who are these 1,200 - 1,800 people who bought a ticket and didn’t show up. Odd behaviour. 

• Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

So. 27,000 capacity. 
So I guess 1,295 people purchased a ticket (not SC holders as they get counted regardless, an actual purchase), and didn’t bother to show up. 
That’s somewhat odd. 

Other reports yesterday suggested the home ticket sales were around the 23,000 mark. So, with the 3,338 away fans, that would make 26,338. Again, somewhat short - 1,795. 

Who are these 1,200 - 1,800 people who bought a ticket and didn’t show up. Odd behaviour. 

Complimentary tickets available but not given away?

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

So. 27,000 capacity. 
That’s somewhat odd. 

Well, I can account for 2, my brother (lives in London) felt rough yesterday, thought it was the start of COVID (not so far) so decided not to travel down.

I got my other half a ticket but she decided not to bother as stuff cropped up at home around 1pm.

I might be unusual in knowing 2 of them but life happens..

56 minutes ago, Harry said:

So. 27,000 capacity. 
That’s somewhat odd. 

I think you'll find that if a ticket is bought, it's counted. The club don't give a flip if they don't turn up, as long as they've got the cash .

• Like 5

My assumption was that 27k is (or was) the physical number of seats in the ground, but due to various factors (segregation, space for cameras for broadcast etc) the saleable capacity is somewhat lower.

The other thing to note is that because the singing section is unreserved, capacity in those blocks is automatically reduced by 10%. If anyone remembers, for the Man Utd game the people in that section had to be allocated to a seat so that more could be accomodated.

10 minutes ago, The Humble Realist said:

It really doesnt matter but my wider point is why cant we actually fill the ground?

It seems the club only sold 25500 tickets but could have sold 1800 more?

Are there health and safety restrictions for mac capacity for football?

Maybe the Safety Advisory Group have been in action?  No idea why, in a new build stadium, but they seem to work in mysterious ways. 

I’m not a AG “seats geek”, but FWIW isn’t our capacity 26,500(ish) because of segregation?  We didn’t sell 1,000 in the Atyeo to Sunderland so that’s 25,500.  Am I right in thinking LS Upper is normally adult + kid, so might be many single seats unavailable, because they can’t be sold on their own.  Even if not 24,500 out of 25,500 is near enough a sellout.

10 hours ago, Northern Red said:

My assumption was that 27k is (or was) the physical number of seats in the ground, but due to various factors (segregation, space for cameras for broadcast etc) the saleable capacity is somewhat lower.

The other thing to note is that because the singing section is unreserved, capacity in those blocks is automatically reduced by 10%. If anyone remembers, for the Man Utd game the people in that section had to be allocated to a seat so that more could be accomodated.

Changed that a couple of seasons ago. They told everyone to sit in their allocated seats & no longer say it is unreserved.

Of course, those of us that actually stand in that area still treat it as such.

Couldn’t find the original email, but found a reminder from the club. 

77D3284A-927E-4943-A6DB-54C46E5B68FF.jpeg

Edited by Carey 6
  • Thanks 1

I thought that the capacity for football matches was 26.5k because of the segregation.

The Atyeo holds 4.2k (?) and Downsy announced there was 2,352 from Sunderland so 1,848 shy of capacity in that stand. 26,500 - 1,848 leaves 24,652 which is pretty much what was said. From my vantage point in the Lansdown Upper, there were a few dozen empty seats in the South Stand block nearest to the Lansdown. 

On a footnote, when I worked for Yeovil, the ticket office manager said there would usually be between 10%-12% of ST holders that don't turn up for games. Leaving aside the fact that Yeovil were/are s**t, if that equates to City as well, it means that around 1.5k ST holders don't get to games which would also explain the disparity between what we see and what the crowd is announced as. 

18 minutes ago, Hamdon Mart said:

I thought that the capacity for football matches was 26.5k because of the segregation.

The Atyeo holds 4.2k (?) and Downsy announced there was 2,352 from Sunderland so 1,848 shy of capacity in that stand. 26,500 - 1,848 leaves 24,652 which is pretty much what was said. From my vantage point in the Lansdown Upper, there were a few dozen empty seats in the South Stand block nearest to the Lansdown. 

On a footnote, when I worked for Yeovil, the ticket office manager said there would usually be between 10%-12% of ST holders that don't turn up for games. Leaving aside the fact that Yeovil were/are s**t, if that equates to City as well, it means that around 1.5k ST holders don't get to games which would also explain the disparity between what we see and what the crowd is announced as. 

There were far more than 2,352 Sunderland fans there so what was all that about?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Have the disabled sections been increased?

Certainly there seem to be new areas at both ends of the Lansdown that would have taken out a number of rows of seating.

Maybe our capacity is not 27k anymore?

Somebody on another thread did say the actual seats in the ground were more like 26,568 it's just rounded up to 27,000 for convenience.

Edited by pillred
Spelling