IGNORED

Naysmith

coxyboy

Obviously the error in the goal is what it is..apart from that i felt he played well, the boy can pass ..made some important interceptions and blocks. Looks class in the making..however and not his fault..why is our CB taking corners ? Surely more of a threat in the box ?  

Edited by coxyboy
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, coxyboy said:

Obviously the error in the goal is what it is..apart from that i felt he played well, the boy can pass ..made some important interceptions and blocks. Looks class in the making..however and not his fault..why is our CB taking corners ? Surely more of a threat in the box ?  

He ain’t half slow!

• Like 3

It was a weird one for Naismith. He both played amazing and terrible ? at fault for the first, they should have definitely had a penalty when he just got beat for pace and fell on simms and the 3rd goal gets done in the air but also made some crucial blocks, great tackles and lovely passes. He’s not big/good enough to be playing alongside Vyner and Atkinson. Desperately need Kalas back and for Wilson to start. Sykes is good going forward but can tell he’s a winger when needing to defend. Left plenty of gaps behind him, not ideal when it’s Vyner who’s behind you… 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

Watched him all through the pre-season games and both league games.

He's played just one season as a CB and, to me, it shows.

His distribution is very good, his positioning isn't and he's very slow with the ball at his feet.

Personally, not impressed with what I've seen, which is probably a minority view.

We miss Kalas imo, and once he's fit I would play Kalas, Klose, Atkinson (assuming its three at the back, which I hope it isn't) as I think that is a safe, experienced back three.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, coxyboy said:

I thought he was dreadful. Vyner bailed him out twice first half. The first goal was his fault and he was nowhere for the second, Vyner's mistake or not. Until defenders actually DEFEND I'm not interested if they shout a lot, point fingers a few times and hit half a dozen nice balls with their left foot. He was part of a back line that could very easily have conceded 5 at home today. That display was well below the standard required.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

I thought he was dreadful. Vyner bailed him out twice first half. The first goal was his fault and he was nowhere for the second, Vyner's mistake or not. Until defenders actually DEFEND I'm not interested if they shout a lot, point fingers a few times and hit half a dozen nice balls with their left foot. He was part of a back line that could very easily have conceded 5 at home today. That display was well below the standard required.

All about options 

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

His distribution is very good, his positioning isn't and he's very slow with the ball at his feet.

Personally, not impressed with what I've seen, which is probably a minority view.

We miss Kalas imo, and once he's fit I would play Kalas, Klose, Atkinson (assuming its three at the back, which I hope it isn't) as I think that is a safe, experienced back three.

Disagree he’s a good player, organises, reads the game well, get himself in the right places, can’t defend for 2 though when having to cover for Vyner’s errors.

Kalas, Naismith and Atkinson would be our best back 3. Klose is looking really slow and off the pace right now.

Just now, coxyboy said:

All about options 

Very true (I'm sure you meant opinions!!). My "option" would be to get a centre half with pace on loan and soon as possible. That will help whoever plays there. At the moment every single team that plays us will look to destroy us with pace and that is very easily done with the current personnel back there.

Just now, bexhill reds said:

Disagree he’s a good player, organises, reads the game well, get himself in the right places, can’t defend for 2 though when having to cover for Vyner’s errors.

Kalas, Naismith and Atkinson would be our best back 3. Klose is looking really slow and off the pace right now.

But Vyner covered HIM for two errors today.........did you have the blinkers on?

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Very true (I'm sure you meant opinions!!). My "option" would be to get a centre half with pace on loan and soon as possible. That will help whoever plays there. At the moment every single team that plays us will look to destroy us with pace and that is very easily done with the current personnel back there.

But Vyner covered HIM for two errors today.........did you have the blinkers on?

No did mean options of best 3 if thats how we are to play ..Vinner to me is not a championship CB 

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

No, this bloke was the star player of a Luton team that made the playoffs, so he’s no mug. I can see from numerous posts that you don’t like him, so pointless trying to debate. If Kalas comes back then we’ll have a bit more pace at the back.

Not going to wholly blame him for the first goal, he should never have had the ball given to him there, that said should he have had more awareness of what was around him and certainly moved the ball quicker, but that was a team problem all game.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Magicdaps said:

Looks ready made for a DM role to me.  Can pick a pass, read the game etc. but lacks the recovery pace to be last man.  I expected more from him today but it was a strange game.  Not really sure what to make of him or the overall performance at this stage. 

I think we need to bring a couple of players in. We've had a look at our first two games, we can see what's good and what's not so good (being kind) and a couple of better players now would ensure a reasonably comfortable season given it looks like we aren't that shoddy when we have the ball.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Me too.  He’s played a few seasons now at CB…firstly at Wigan under Cook. But he doesn’t have those years of experience as a CB, not to play middle, especially when heavily left footed.

I thought he played well last week, not today though.

But need to see how he evolves in OUR defence over more than just a couple of games.

I’ve always said I don’t like a back 3 for City, but happy we recruited to it over the summer if that’s how we are gonna play.  Early days.

1 minute ago, Magicdaps said:

Looks ready made for a DM role to me.  Can pick a pass, read the game etc. but lacks the recovery pace to be last man.  I expected more from him today but it was a strange game.  Not really sure what to make of him or the overall performance at this stage. 

He has played defensive midfield for Luton.

On todays single showing we need both a Klose and Kalas in the team.

Also Pring and Tanner need considering, quite simply we need to stem the flow of goals against.

4-3-3 for me.

Different people see the same game differently. I thought he was at fault for the first and third goals and looked a bit slow. Hardly the dominating central defender we need to stop the goals going in. However, it’s only two games in, so who knows? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bexhill reds said:

No, this bloke was the star player of a Luton team that made the playoffs, so he’s no mug. I can see from numerous posts that you don’t like him, so pointless trying to debate. If Kalas comes back then we’ll have a bit more pace at the back.

Not going to wholly blame him for the first goal, he should never have had the ball given to him there, that said should he have had more awareness of what was around him and certainly moved the ball quicker, but that was a team problem all game.

I don't know the bloke so have no personal opinion on him. I am fully aware of where he's been and am fully expecting him to improve massively on today (he clearly needs to) but at the end of the day if someone has a crap game the forum is the place to give that opinion.

I am well beyond the age where I "love or hate" players tbh......................they are all here on £5-7K per week so can all be treated pretty equally in my book. On that basis Naismith was a far bigger liability than Vyner today..........and no, I don't think Vyner is good enough for this level.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

I don't know the bloke so have no personal opinion on him. I am fully aware of where he's been and am fully expecting him to improve massively on today (he clearly needs to) but at the end of the day if someone has a crap game the forum is the place to give that opinion.

I am well beyond the age where I "love or hate" players tbh......................they are all here on £5-7K per week so can all be treated pretty equally in my book. On that basis Naismith was a far bigger liability than Vyner today..........and no, I don't think Vyner is good enough for this level.

Fair enough, don’t wholly disagree with your view. I think Alex Neil for all criticism he’s received as a manager got the tactics right, especially with the 2 up top, our defensive 3 were pulled all over the place defending more as individuals at times rather than a unit. Maybe that’s a result of playing with 2 wingbacks pushed up the pitch.

I think we can agree that you should not be losing when scoring 2 at home.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Got to disagree about Klose. He may be slow but, unlike Naismith who’s equally slow, his reading of the game and his calm head allow him to get away with that. He was only on the pitch for 20 minutes today but he exuded more confidence and assurance than our other three defenders put together. 

• Like 11

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

Got to disagree about Klose. He may be slow but, unlike Naismith who’s equally slow, his reading of the game and his calm head allow him to get away with that. He was only on the pitch for 20 minutes today but he exuded more confidence and assurance than our other three defenders put together. 

Makes you wonder why he hasn't been starting.

33 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Klose is looking really slow and off the pace right now.

A guy like Klose is never going to be lightning fast, but nonetheless, I thought the gate into our open and inviting final third was slammed shut after he came on.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

I’m not knocking him at all, it’s just a general view following his pre-season performances, he just looks a bit slower than last season. 

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

A guy like Klose is never going to be lightning fast, but nonetheless, I thought the gate into our open and inviting final third was slammed shut after he came on.

I’m only commenting based on the preseason games I watched and the Robins TV coverage today. Sometimes watching the whole game in person gives you a more rounded view.

1 minute ago, bexhill reds said:

I’m only commenting based on the preseason games I watched and the Robins TV coverage today. Sometimes watching the whole game in person gives you a more rounded view.

He's big and a bit ungainly, plus he's knocking on a bit. His game isn't to chase down marauding attackers, but to be in the right place, have the physical presence to fend them off and to cut out aerial threats. 

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

He's big and a bit ungainly, plus he's knocking on a bit. His game isn't to chase down marauding attackers, but to be in the right place, have the physical presence to fend them off and to cut out aerial threats. 

Absolutely, I was more perhaps unclearly comparing him last season to now. He’s one of the reasons why we got enough points to stay up in the end. He just seems slightly more sluggish than he was last season. Arguably we might have managed Sunderland’s front 2 much better had he played the whole game, experience and nous still count for a lot even in a frenetic Championship