IGNORED

Naysmith

coxyboy

Mixed bag for me.

Horrendous start & obvious Sunderland had done their homework on us, but after that he mixed good play (couple of excellent blocks) with poorer stuff.

Do think sides are going to work out very quickly that we are attempting to channel a lot of our play through him, so others need to take responsibility.

As others have said we have recruited this summer to play 3 at the back & he hasn’t been a defensive midfielder for some while.

We are going to persevere with him & he’ll definitely get a run at CB.

22 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

I’m not knocking him at all, it’s just a general view following his pre-season performances, he just looks a bit slower than last season. 

Fair enough, and I didn’t see pre season so I’m judging him only on 15 mins at Hull (when he was down the other end from where we sat) and today. It just struck me today that even though he wasn’t on for long he just seemed like a class above. 

He came with some doubt about injuries, didn’t he? And he’s getting on. So maybe (to answer @RudiRed too) he’s not seen as someone who has 90 minutes every week in him. (Not that that stops Pearson flogging Martin!).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Fair enough, and I didn’t see pre season so I’m judging him only on 15 mins at Hull (when he was down the other end from where we sat) and today. It just struck me today that even though he wasn’t on for long he just seemed like a class above. 

He came with some doubt about injuries, didn’t he? And he’s getting on. So maybe (to answer @RudiRed too) he’s not seen as someone who has 90 minutes every week in him. (Not that that stops Pearson flogging Martin!).

There was a bit of rhetoric pre-season that Klose struggled at RCB3.  I didn’t subscribe to that.  Of course he’s not quick and he will get exposed one-on-one, but most defenders of his type will.  But he positions well, talks well, and passes the ball well out of defence.  I think whoever plays RWB would prefer Klose inside of them, than Vyner.  They might start a bit deeper to help him, but I also think they will get more passes with a chance to face up their opponent.  We saw on the other side that Jay receives too many passes facing backwards, that’s not his game either.

Bit of fine tuning required.  For the majority (not all of it) of the game between conceding and going 2-1 up, we were the better side.  But it was all too frantic…we were never totally dominant.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There was a bit of rhetoric pre-season that Klose struggled at RCB3.  I didn’t subscribe to that.  Of course he’s not quick and he will get exposed one-on-one, but most defenders of his type will.  But he positions well, talks well, and passes the ball well out of defence.  I think whoever plays RWB would prefer Klose inside of them, than Vyner.  They might start a bit deeper to help him, but I also think they will get more passes with a chance to face up their opponent.  We saw on the other side that Jay receives too many passes facing backwards, that’s not his game either.

Bit of fine tuning required.  For the majority (not all of it) of the game between conceding and going 2-1 up, we were the better side.  But it was all too frantic…we were never totally dominant.

Can you play with 3 left footed centre halves? It was mentioned on the OSIB season preview podcast, is it that much of an issue, as a I guess arguably a Left foot RCB will be on the stronger side with a player cutting inside anyway?

1 hour ago, bexhill reds said:

Disagree he’s a good player, organises, reads the game well, get himself in the right places, can’t defend for 2 though when having to cover for Vyner’s errors.

Kalas, Naismith and Atkinson would be our best back 3. Klose is looking really slow and off the pace right now.

First goal dreadful ...but I agree I thought he looked a good and intelligent player be ideal hopefully with Kalas strength and Atlinson's growing maturity ...

As someone pointed out to me, if that was Vyner who made that mistake the forum would've been in meltdown tonight. The fact that he had a warning with their No.9's pace a moment before should have been enough. I thought he struggled to be fair but improved as the match wore on.

• Like 1

If there is another team in the country where the centre half takes the corners please list them below.

By far the most bizarre choice of corner taker I’ve ever seen and given in Scott we have a player who can deliver a great dead ball completely wrong.

Naismith should either be heading the corners in or on the half way line waiting to defend a break away should it occur.

Kalas, Naismith and Atkinson/Klose is a quality back 3 at this level.

As others have said, KN made a big mistake for their 1st goal but was OK after that. 

Losing Matty James minutes before KO will have undoubtedly, impacted our prep.

The next two league games have grown in importance all of a sudden 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Negan said:

It was a weird one for Naismith. He both played amazing and terrible ? at fault for the first, they should have definitely had a penalty when he just got beat for pace and fell on simms and the 3rd goal gets done in the air but also made some crucial blocks, great tackles and lovely passes. He’s not big/good enough to be playing alongside Vyner and Atkinson. Desperately need Kalas back and for Wilson to start. Sykes is good going forward but can tell he’s a winger when needing to defend. Left plenty of gaps behind him, not ideal when it’s Vyner who’s behind you… 

Yes we need Kala's back . But why are we not starting Wilson with Sykes in front of him . Sorry Zak should not  start 

As usual. It’s nah nah nah nahhh.

We lost.

Most of us are pissed off, again. But it’s early days, there are some obvious issues with one or two.

My own opinion is get Massengo out of here fast. He is not very good.

We concede goals whenever he is anywhere near the pitch and I just can not stand it anymore. He gets a chance, gives you thirty minutes and spends the rest of it being utter crap. No he will not make any money and yes no one wants him. Thanks Mark!

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I thought he played Sims very well, when he came on. Was the only CB really to compete physically against him.

Definitely a starter instead of Vyner in the next game.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I thought he played Sims very well, when he came on. Was the only CB really to compete physically against him.

Definitely a starter instead of Vyner in the next game.

You’d think so wouldn’t you?  Think he paid a bit of a penalty pre-season by needing play with Towler and Idehen to guide them through…which allowed Vyner in, who in fairness did well pre-season.

If the Cov game goes ahead, he needs to start. I think Naismith will also benefit from having him around.

6 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

I think we need to bring a couple of players in. We've had a look at our first two games, we can see what's good and what's not so good (being kind) and a couple of better players now would ensure a reasonably comfortable season given it looks like we aren't that shoddy when we have the ball.

Midfield is piss poor we havent got a dominating player in there which causes pressure on the defence .

Unfortunately reminds me of Sean Dyche's debut for us, he was built up to be a key signing and had a shocker first appearance. Let's hope he just had an off-day, personally I'd rather see Klose in the middle that's what helped us improve at the end of last season. Maybe play Naismith LWB and Jay could be available to play midfield. At least he's meant to be able to play most positions so try him somewhere else.

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

We saw on the other side that Jay receives too many passes facing backwards, that’s not his game either.

I've kept quiet on yesterday's game, but this was one of my bug bears from yesterday. We didn't use Dasilva correctly. Sunderland's fullbacks/wingers pushed forwards, and gaps were left in behind, but Dasilva either wasn't making the runs, or was starting flat-footed. It was just one point that in general I think was a missed opportunity.

On Naismith, well the mistake for the first goal was what it was. With that in mind I thought he recovered well, made some good blocks and his balls over the top were dangerous. He talked well and on a number of occasions pulled Vyner back into line - literally calling to him to get back into line with Naismith and Atkinson. His corners were dangerous on occasion.

I think Naismith's individual game fairly reflected the team as a whole yesterday. Some big but isolated errors, decent spells and moments, but overall a disappointing and frustrating match. 

Failure to deal with the way Sunderland changed after the break was the crucial point. They pressed us higher and faster and we responded naively. We didn't switch our game and continued to pass or try and run the ball out through Naismith, Atkinson or Massengo. I feel that was a point where a switch to a bit more route one stuff, beating the press by by-passing it over the top, could have nullified Sunderland's switch. But we didn't, and so Vyner and Naismith came under pressure, and we conceded twice.

I think the echoes of last season's problems are strong at the moment. We're still dangerous going forward, even without Semenyo. 9 shots on target, 3 goals, and xG of 1.55 per game is a good return (albeit from a tiny sample). But the defensive frailties and individual errors have shown themselves still present. That was our downfall last season and as it stands appears to still be an issue.

Time may tell and I think there are good things to build on over these first two games. We have some exciting players due to return to the team. There's still scope for an improvement on last season. It's not all awful, and in my opinion any calls of relegation (or promotion) are misplaced.

• Like 2

Error for the goal, although I'd add there was no reason for Bents to play him that ball in that situation.

Didn't see the same pace issue everyone else seems to see, didn't seem any slower than Vyner, more the fact that Simm's is pretty rapid. Added to which both him and Stewart are very strong in the air - which showed today.

Personally would move Atkinson central, or put Klose in, and judge him when at LCB where he played for Luton where the aerial weakness is less of a problem.

13 hours ago, italian dave said:

Got to disagree about Klose. He may be slow but, unlike Naismith who’s equally slow, his reading of the game and his calm head allow him to get away with that. He was only on the pitch for 20 minutes today but he exuded more confidence and assurance than our other three defenders put together. 

Timm in a nutshell - also worth pointing out that same gate was shut while Naismith was alongside him, not replacing the latter.

I think he's just the player Naismith needs alongside him. They both communicate, which Kalas not Vyner really do.

If we could try converting Rob to the right, I really wouldn't mind a back three of Atkinson, Klose, Naismith. But that's highly unlikely due to balance.

Not as good as Kalas better than Atkinson and Vyner. On a par with Klose.

Good touch, vision, good passer.

But no pace - that’s why he is a free from Luton.

Will play better along side Kalas they may even be good enough to play 4 at the back so we can get another one in the middle.

Could possibly do the pack role of sitting in from the back 4 if we don’t get another midfielder in - Can’t play him with Williams and James as not enough pace across the 3.