IGNORED

4 Simple Steps to improve

Better Red

49 minutes ago, Red-Al said:

Can someone explain WHY nige insists on playing CM, when he does nothing, and we've got NW on the bench,CM only scored yesterday because he fell over and rolled the ball into the net, I'm puzzled,

Wells has had plenty of ineffective games for us too. The reality is that both are strikers that need the right players around them to perform to their best and both have been at the club at a time when we have struggled to find forward combinations that worked.

It finally clicked last season with Weimann behind Semenyo and Martin but still faltered massively once any one of those three elements was removed and Semenyo was the most important element of all.

With Semenyo out, we cannot just keep trying the same thing and hoping for the best but I do not think that a straight swap of Wells for Martin would make the  difference. If we wanted to make it work with Wells, we would need to change the system and - with the players available, I am not quite sure what that system would be that would get the best out of Wells.

Edited by LondonBristolian

2 hours ago, Red-Al said:

Can someone explain WHY nige insists on playing CM, when he does nothing, and we've got NW on the bench,CM only scored yesterday because he fell over and rolled the ball into the net, I'm puzzled,

Martin has vast experience and plays the hold up man really well. Younger forwards like Conway can learn a great deal from a guy like Martin, making runs, finding space and anticipation. Like Andy King he’s also influential around the squad.

I always remember at Senior Reds when Flint was asked who his toughest opponent was ‘Chris Martin’ was his reply.

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Wells has had plenty of ineffective games for us too. The reality is that both are strikers that need the right players around them to perform to their best and both have been at the club at a time when we have struggled to find forward combinations that worked.

It finally clicked last season with Weimann behind Semenyo and Martin but still faltered massively once any one of those three elements was removed and Semenyo was the most important element of all.

With Semenyo out, we cannot just keep trying the same thing and hoping for the best but I do not think that a straight swap of Wells for Martin would make the  difference. If we wanted to make it work with Wells, we would need to change the system and - with the players available, I am not quite sure what that system would be that would get the best out of Wells.

To get the best out of Wells - play him for 90 mins not 4 or 5.

Play him through the middle and put the ball in the box - he will score goals.

Can’t score or effect the game from the bench.

Clearly Nige wants him out and has done for a long time.

Bringing Conway on yesterday instead of him is embarrassing and shameful.

What a waste of £5m, his time and talent.

We are a mess of a club at times.

Having slept on yesterdays game here are my main conclusions, although they are largely points we are well aware of. It’s early days, and there are some positives, but there are certainly plenty of things to be sorted out, as an armchair manager these would be my primary concerns and priorities.

• Our midfield is too often/easily over-run, MJ’s absence certainly didn’t help yesterday
  • Defensively we remain vulnerable, especially being too often exposed on our right
  • Our attacking play is too deliberate and usually lacks real dynamic/crisp movement

Solutions are inevitably easier to identify than they are to implement! I remain confident that NP is the solution and will, despite the constraints he faces, continue to address our weaknesses and build a stronger squad.

• Kalas and Semenyo being fit to play - although in reality we will have key players injured/suspended/out of form during the season
  • Recruit to strengthen our defence and midfield - which will likely mean ‘trading’ or loans
  • Look to change our formation - dependent on adding to the squad/having a fully fit squad, e.g. playing three in midfield, four at the back

26 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Having slept on yesterdays game here are my main conclusions, although they are largely points we are well aware of. It’s early days, and there are some positives, but there are certainly plenty of things to be sorted out, as an armchair manager these would be my primary concerns and priorities.

• Our midfield is too often/easily over-run, MJ’s absence certainly didn’t help yesterday
  • Defensively we remain vulnerable, especially being too often exposed on our right
  • Our attacking play is too deliberate and usually lacks real dynamic/crisp movement

Solutions are inevitably easier to identify than they are to implement! I remain confident that NP is the solution and will, despite the constraints he faces, continue to address our weaknesses and build a stronger squad.

• Kalas and Semenyo being fit to play - although in reality we will have key players injured/suspended/out of form during the season
  • Recruit to strengthen our defence and midfield - which will likely mean ‘trading’ or loans
  • Look to change our formation - dependent on adding to the squad/having a fully fit squad, e.g. playing three in midfield, four at the back

I agree on recruitment. With players coming back we were two players away from being on the right end of a result the last two weeks and those same two players away from having a relatively comfortable mid table season imo. Short term we may have to work on grinding out a couple of results to get us up and running and then take another look at how we get results trying to play in the open way we did yesterday. Atm we just cannot defend well enough to play an open game.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

25 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Agree Kalas and Symenyo plus a few decent loans would make all the difference.

Wells,Max,Vyner, Mesengo and even JD  plus Bell, Conway, Towler loans should create enough space for at least 3 or 4 loans and or maybe even a perm signing 

Two of the signings needs to be a Striker (pace) and midfielder

9 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I’m guessing 12 goals, 6 assists last season, plus another goal yesterday & one kicked off the line that was going in?

Scapegoating Martin is hilarious, we were top six scorers last season & bottom three in terms of goals conceded, so it is pretty obvious that our problems are up front?

Plus with Semenyo already absent, this is totally the right time to do without 2/3 of the most effective part of the side, isn’t it?

Exactly this.

Chris Martin is the most intelligent player at the club. He may not be quick, but he puts in a shift and pulls defenders all over the place. And he scores. And he assists.

I think people forget we’re Bristol and not Manchester City.

We don’t have a pot to piss in.

Nige still hasn’t got that DM he said we need. My sense is that Scott will need to be sold to free up £20 million to spend on 2 championship quality players. Else we will struggle.

• Like 1

We definitely need to be better in the middle of the park. If you win those battles you dictate the game.

As much as I like Alex Scott he is a luxury player who likes to be further up and draw fowls. He jogs about and isn’t aggressive to get stuck in and help out the two in the middle.

When you are struggling to get hold of the game you need other players to come in and break up play.