IGNORED

Things we learnt today

Dr Balls

1. Our midfield cannot continue as a 2 whoever plays there. We need 3 in the middle or we will continue to be over run and our defence will continually be under pressure.

2. Even though he is only 18, Alex Scott is probably our best central midfielder.

3. The lack of threat upfront without Semenyo is really worrying. Other than score the scruffiest goal ever, Martin did nothing today. He certainly did not give their centre backs a hard time, while in contrast the 2 Sunderland forwards gave our defenders a torrid time.

4. We have yet to work out our best formation and how to fit our best players into one that actually works, assuming that the coach even appreciates who the best players are.

5. Zak Vyner is not a championship centre back. When your best contribution as centre back is assisting for a goal that is actually damning with faint praise.

6. If we lose Bentley in this transfer window, we will concede even more goals. At this level, we can’t keep expecting a keeper to make a couple of world class saves every game, and even then we are still losing.

7. Likewise we can’t afford to lose Weimann. He is the Duracell bunny/human dynamo and has clearly continued last season’s form into this. He was yet again the City MOTM today, IMHO.

8. Massengo has not improved since the day he arrived at Ashton Gate. If any scout was watching today’s performance, they will be reporting back that he is not up to playing at this level and is more of a liability than an asset.

9. Nothing much has changed from last season, but then we are playing pretty much the same team and formation so what did we expect? We continue to score but concede even more, which suggests that the pundits who had us down for another relegation battle were right. A potential top 6 finish, although far from impossible, looks extremely improbable on today’s performance, even given how tight this league can be.

10. Other clubs boost themselves in the short term with loans. Pearson may not like them per se, but we appear to be missing a trick here. We supposedly can’t afford to buy anyone better than what we have got, so surely loans are the next best option to bolster the squad.

• Like 12
  • Sad 1
  • Flames 3

35 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

1. Our midfield cannot continue as a 2 whoever plays there. We need 3 in the middle or we will continue to be over run and our defence will continually be under pressure.

2. Even though he is only 18, Alex Scott is probably our best central midfielder.

3. The lack of threat upfront without Semenyo is really worrying. Other than score the scruffiest goal ever, Martin did nothing today. He certainly did not give their centre backs a hard time, while in contrast the 2 Sunderland forwards gave our defenders a torrid time.

4. We have yet to work out our best formation and how to fit our best players into one that actually works, assuming that the coach even appreciates who the best players are.

5. Zak Vyner is not a championship centre back. When your best contribution as centre back is assisting for a goal that is actually damning with faint praise.

6. If we lose Bentley in this transfer window, we will concede even more goals. At this level, we can’t keep expecting a keeper to make a couple of world class saves every game, and even then we are still losing.

7. Likewise we can’t afford to lose Weimann. He is the Duracell bunny/human dynamo and has clearly continued last season’s form into this. He was yet again the City MOTM today, IMHO.

8. Massengo has not improved since the day he arrived at Ashton Gate. If any scout was watching today’s performance, they will be reporting back that he is not up to playing at this level and is more of a liability than an asset.

9. Nothing much has changed from last season, but then we are playing pretty much the same team and formation so what did we expect? We continue to score but concede even more, which suggests that the pundits who had us down for another relegation battle were right. A potential top 6 finish, although far from impossible, looks extremely improbable on today’s performance, even given how tight this league can be.

10. Other clubs boost themselves in the short term with loans. Pearson may not like them per se, but we appear to be missing a trick here. We supposedly can’t afford to buy anyone better than what we have got, so surely loans are the next best option to bolster the squad.

Point 10 - he HAS to change his philosophy. If we don’t have the money to buy players, we cannot just sit back with this current squad. 

The lad up front for Sunderland today is just what I’m talking about. Young, talented, strong….he ripped us apart 

The dinosaur of a manager needs to start looking at loans as this current squad is relegation fodder 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Agree with every point.

Said we are a bottom 6 team because of 9 and 10 and nothing  I have seen suggest otherwise.

Are best 11 needed improving and so far only at RB have we improved.

Hopefully the last few jigsaw places will be sorted using loans and or maybe a small fee (we need at least 3)

I am hopefully that if we get the right players in then things will look a lot better.

Stick with Chris Martin and we are nailed on for relegation.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Point 10 - he HAS to change his philosophy. If we don’t have the money to buy players, we cannot just sit back with this current squad. 

The lad up front for Sunderland today is just what I’m talking about. Young, talented, strong….he ripped us apart 

The dinosaur of a manager needs to start looking at loans as this current squad is relegation fodder 

He has addressed the question of loans and said he has used them at every other club he has been at so it's not that he doesn't like them.

What he also said was bringing a loan player into the mentality that existed would not have helped and may have made things worse, that's why he hasn't used them much so far.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pezo said:

He has addressed the question of loans and said he has used them at every other club he has been at so it's not that he doesn't like them.

What he also said was bringing a loan player into the mentality that existed would not have helped and may have made things worse, that's why he hasn't used them much so far.

Well what he has tried so far hasn’t helped the mentality so he may as well give it a go 

59 minutes ago, The Hustler said:

Not really. Looked uncomfortable all match and made two saves you’d expect a Championship keeper to make at this level. Swings and roundabouts maybe, but he was poor…again…

All about opinions.

Bentley was my City MOM (not much competition mind).

• Like 2

Wing backs positioning when Bentley has the ball, way too high. Time and time again I looked up and saw them both standing on the half-way line.

A very strange and dodgy tactic, if you ask me.  And part of the reason why I'm not totally pissed off with Kal Naismith today.

The guy had a home debut to wipe from memory for sure, but unnecessary pressure was put on the bloke by employing this tactic.

All about opinions, I know others think I'm talking shit.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 2

And if we're to learn something from the first two games, it has to be how not to waste Alex Scott.

The only memory I have of him from today's game is him standing on the half-way line at their corners.

Needs to be involved far more.

He is afer all, our Grealish. Give him the ball, let him do his stuff.

So disappoined today, after the first 20/25 minutes where we looked half decent.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

And if we're to learn something from the first two games, it has to be how not to waste Alex Scott.

The only memory I have of him from today's game is him standing on the half-way line at their corners.

Did you not see the fantastic through ball he played in the first half? That is my peak memory of how well he played in the first half. Seemed to drop back deeper in the second where he was less influential. 

For myself.

- Bents still needs better decision making with regards to distribution. Albeit Naismith's fault, no reason to go short in that situation.

- Vyner just isn't good enough, struggles with any mobile target man.

- Martin simply isn't mobile enough, it's fine when supplemented with Semenyo available, but otherwise simply does not work. Simms would've  been perfect for us.

- Thought Sykes looks a solid bit of business.

- Need a partner for Willams. Massengo not good enough in a two with James injured. Scott should have dropped back earlier.

Think as long as we get competition for Martin (ideally shifting Wells on), and a DM, with TK fit, we'll be OK.

Edited by Fuber

To add to the points made here.

When you look at our stats for last season, our first half points per game had us in the top 10; whilst the 2nd half we were 23rd or 24th.

In short, teams tend to regroup and suss us out at half time; and then implement the transitions needed in order to stop us playing.

The fundamental difference between halves today was in the second half they applied a 4/5 man press on our back three that stopped the passing channels into our midfield. City from 52 to about 80 min (until Sunderland sat back and tried to protect what they had) seized to exist as a coherant team. It was awful to watch.

This isn't a new thing (as per my comments above about last season's stats), and we obviously saw it at Hull last week as well.

Without the differential of Semenyeo, with his unpredictability, pace & power we are pedestrian in our approach. I lost track today of how many passes there were back to Bentley to just hoof the ball upheld.

The worst time for me was around the 80 min mark, where as above Sunderland started to sit back.

The lack of drive, urgency & energy in the side was clear to see. To such an extent that both Scott & Weimann were having to drop deep into our own half to pick the ball up in order to drive us forward. Where was Williams or Massengo? They were missing at this stage.

Only 2 of the starting 11 where new, and one of those was a L1 player a few months ago, who was playing in a relatively new position (only played there a couple of times for Oxford).

Who would have thought we would have seen Vyner again 6 months ago? It's a measure of where we are at the moment unfortunately.

We are struggling I'm afraid. Still relatively little productivity from our wing backs; and 3.5 years of seeing JD drag his shots wide of the same post after being out through is getting tedious in the extreme.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

To add to the points made here.

When you look at our stats for last season, our first half points per game had us in the top 10; whilst the 2nd half we were 23rd or 24th.

In short, teams tend to regroup and suss us out at half time; and then implement the transitions needed in order to stop us playing.

The fundamental difference between halves today was in the second half they applied a 4/5 man press on our back three that stopped the passing channels into our midfield. City from 52 to about 80 min (until Sunderland sat back and tried to protect what they had) seized to exist as a coherant team. It was awful to watch.

This isn't a new thing (as per my comments above about last season's stats), and we obviously saw it at Hull last week as well.

Without the differential of Semenyeo, with his unpredictability, pace & power we are pedestrian in our approach. I lost track today of how many passes there were back to Bentley to just hoof the ball upheld.

The worst time for me was around the 80 min mark, where as above Sunderland started to sit back.

The lack of drive, urgency & energy in the side was clear to see. To such an extent that both Scott & Weimann were having to drop deep into our own half to pick the ball up in order to drive us forward. Where was Williams or Massengo? They were missing at this stage.

Only 2 of the starting 11 where new, and one of those was a L1 player a few months ago, who was playing in a relatively new position (only played there a couple of times for Oxford).

Who would have thought we would have seen Vyner again 6 months ago? It's a measure of where we are at the moment unfortunately.

We are struggling I'm afraid. Still relatively little productivity from our wing backs; and 3.5 years of seeing JD drag his shots wide of the same post after being out through is getting tedious in the extreme.

Definitely agree about the press in the second half it absolutely killed us and we had no answer to it. 

We are still on the roundabout and likely to stay on it for the fore-see-able. We will continue to see the likes of Notts Forest pass us by while spending around 85million on 12 players, likelyhood of us being anywhere near that...NIL.

We get by, by clinging to a forlorn hope that the next 10 games/transfer window/ manager selection by SL will change our direction, it wont round and round we go.

We Need to utilise the loan system now to give anyone a chance to blend in,  to not sound too daft we've been in both games at times and yesterday there was some football played , we also lost a midfielder prior to kick off . There were some terrible shouts yesterday from fans who apparently won't be coming again ,I'm a South stand sth and there was a bloke behind Me I haven't seen ever talking about spurs All the way through....

11 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

When Kalas is fit,,,in alongside Klose.

Naysmith as defensive mid.

Vyner??...team mascot only.

Bentley?...hmm...???

Not to even consider a possible loanee if the right player should be available is blinkered.

10 hours ago, The Hustler said:

Point 6. Bentley is vastly overrated. Could have done much better for every goal (including the one that through his legs) ?‍♂️

Spot on. Vastly overrated.

Wasn’t just Naismith at fault for the first. Watch it again. Why oh ******* why does Darling Dan play the ball to him in the way he did? 

And why when between them they ****** it up so early on did DB do it again not long after?

Nice to see NP on the pitch before the game though with his socks pulled up almost to his knees. Looked impressive stood on the halfway line glaring at the opposition. **** me that psyched them out……

New season. New hopes. Same old clueless bollocks.

There was though one winner yesterday. With a nearly packed Planet Lansdown I’m guessing Steven, Margaret, Junior Jon and Jon’s Junior must’ve been delighted……

The sacred messiah and his beloved cash cow hath returneth…..

Until next time……