IGNORED

Light, in a dark night

97Red

I spoke to some Mackems after the game and they genuinely couldn't believe they got 3 points from that game. Maybe 1 would have been fair, but who knows, on another day, we could have got all 3! Wishful thinking from our side perhaps! I said to them, we'll be seeing you in February in a good friendly manner. But, again I genuinely feel as if we deserved more out of that game, than we got. This might be the 10 pints talking, possibly, but when I sit down and think about it (clearing my young head as much as possible), we're only 2 games in, so talk of Pearson going upstairs is really knee jerk, in my view. Let's keep the faith for now, and see what happens over the next month or so. Sunderland definitely ain't going down, neither are us in my view. But something tells me there's a good chance we'll finish above them, and possibly Hull for that matter, if we can just get thing's to click. How many times under Lee did we find ourselves saying, how did we win that?

Nigel Pearson has kept us in this division on a budget far less than his pedocessor, and in tough times as well. We owe him at least the first 10 games minimum, possibly more! Open to opposing views ?

• Like 8
  • Robin 1

I don’t know man. Sunderland battered us from 40 mins onwards, and looked well worth their win (especially when you factor in two big Bentley saves). They (mostly) nullified us in attack from that 40 minute mark onward, and had our defence on toast. Nige needs to sort shit this month or it’s time to go. We’ve plenty enough to stay in this division, but if we haemorrhage goals like last season that may not be a given.  

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, 97Red said:

I spoke to some Mackems after the game and they genuinely couldn't believe they got 3 points from that game. Maybe 1 would have been fair, but who knows, on another day, we could have got all 3! Wishful thinking from our side perhaps! I said to them, we'll be seeing you in February in a good friendly manner. But, again I genuinely feel as if we deserved more out of that game, than we got. This might be the 10 pints talking, possibly, but when I sit down and think about it (clearing my young head as much as possible), we're only 2 games in, so talk of Pearson going upstairs is really knee jerk, in my view. Let's keep the faith for now, and see what happens over the next month or so. Sunderland definitely ain't going down, neither are us in my view. But something tells me there's a good chance we'll finish above them, and possibly Hull for that matter, if we can just get thing's to click. How many times under Lee did we find ourselves saying, how did we win that?

Nigel Pearson has kept us in this division on a budget far less than his pedocessor, and in tough times as well. We owe him at least the first 10 games minimum, possibly more! Open to opposing views ?

I agree that talk of sacking Pearson is ridiculously premature and totally knee jerk. , but I don't think we were any way near the better team. It's true, had Naismith not gifted them a goal in the third minute, we'd be sharing the spoils, but that said, had their loanee not sliced two gold-plated chances we'd be looking at a 2-5 loss.  We looked to have their beating for about 20 minutes of the first half and about 5 minutes of the second.  It was a very depressing display over all.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

If you concede 3 goals like that I don’t think you deserve anything at all 

100%, plus Sunderland were the better side for the majority of the game, I’m amazed that any of their supporters would have thought they didn’t deserve to win.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

Exactly.

A large dollop of deja vu today.

The concerning thing for me is we make conceding look so easy. If you watch a City game, you’d think teams should be scoring three minimum every week. 95% of the rest of the football league show this is not the case.

A quick fix is needed, or I don’t think calling for Pearson’s head would be unfair. Clean sheet against Wigan next Saturday is a must (sod the League Cup, we’re never winning that this year anyway). 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, 97Red said:

I think they were just being polite as they were far better than us today.

• Like 6

I thought we looked to be the side of greater ability today. That's not to say we necessarily deserved the win - there are other elements that come into winning a football match beyond pure ability.

It's hard to say whether we actually "deserved" more. Should we have lost today? IMO, no. But as others have said, if you give away soft goals and surrender all control over the match for long periods, then you invite the possibility of leaving with 0 points.

I suppose you could flip the question around - does a team who concede 3 very poor goals deserve anything out of a game? (regardless of how well/badly they play outside of those 3 goals)

• Hmmm 1

16 minutes ago, RudiRed said:

We look like we've made little progress which is the biggest concern.

Absolutely.  Pearson cannot seem to improve this defence.  3 of the back 5 are his men.  Two of the first choice midfielders are his men as well.  Normally we start the season well then drift off. Let’s hope we aren’t starting it badly and then drifting!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 97Red said:

Nice idea for a thread but I fear you've misjudged the narrative. We've lost 2 games therefore everything and everybody involved is crap.

8 minutes ago, Super said:

They battered us 2nd half. Jack Clarke was easily the best player on the pitch and the 2 up front are a real handful.

I think till 2-1 we where the better side.

Then at 2-2 we just dissolved. 

Some things to be really pleased about, some good quick passing and movement going forward . But defensively we looked like we had little communication and understanding. Zak still looks a weak link to me. And I not singling him out there where others at fault at the back as well today .

And I felt the lack of a good defensive midfielder should today.

I think yes we lost first two games but all in  all it's not all bad  

COYR

• Like 4

My main concern from today was that Sunderland looked a threat every single time they attacked. 

Pritchard was at the centre of every attack, and he is the supply line. You stop him, you limit their chances  Yet we couldn't work it out.

Players like him need to be man marked out of the game. But he kept getting the ball in dangerous areas time and time again. 

The second goal was a complete embarrassment. The time Simms had in the box against Vyner. It's as though time stood still (which Vyner literally did). 

From an attacking perspective, I think we look great. We are dangerous, but seem to need to score 3 goals to even have a chance of winning games currently. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

I think till 2-1 we where the better side.

Then at 2-2 we just dissolved. 

Some things to be really pleased about, some good quick passing and movement going forward . But defensively we looked like we had little communication and understanding. Zak still looks a weak link to me. And I not singling him out there where others at fault at the back as well today .

And I felt the lack of a good defensive midfielder should today.

I think yes we lost first two games but all in  all it's not all bad  

COYR

We looked wide open all afternoon and yes we definitely need a DM. Also I was shocked at how bullied we were in defence, Every long ball and cross we failed to deal with. I thought first half we played pretty well.

• Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

My main concern from today was that Sunderland looked a threat every single time they attacked. 

Pritchard was at the centre of every attack, and he is the supply line. You stop him, you limit their chances  Yet we couldn't work it out.

Players like him need to be man marked out of the game. But he kept getting the ball in dangerous areas time and time again. 

The second goal was a complete embarrassment. The time Simms had in the box against Vyner. It's as though time stood still (which Vyner literally did). 

From an attacking perspective, I think we look great. We are dangerous, but seem to need to score 3 goals to even have a chance of winning games currently. 

I love the idea that any goal can be prevented.  I believe Liverpool conceded two goals today and that Virgil Van Dijk made a mistake for one of them…

Just now, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I love the idea that any goal can be prevented.  I believe Liverpool conceded two goals today and that Virgil Van Dijk made a mistake for one of them…

All Vyner needed to do was keep guiding Simms away from goal. 

Watch the replays and you'll see Vyner slows down before Simms has full control of the ball and allows Simms time to cut back in. 

He is not good enough.

Please don't put Van Dijk and Zak Vyner in the same conversation. Van Dijk makes a mistake once every 100 games. 

1 hour ago, BCFCGav said:

I don’t know man. Sunderland battered us from 40 mins onwards, and looked well worth their win (especially when you factor in two big Bentley saves). They (mostly) nullified us in attack from that 40 minute mark onward, and had our defence on toast. Nige needs to sort shit this month or it’s time to go. We’ve plenty enough to stay in this division, but if we haemorrhage goals like last season that may not be a given.  

We definitely lost control in the 2nd half where we couldn’t retain control of possession.

Despite that Martins miss from 6 yards and Wilson’s miss kick at the far post from 8 yards were two excellent chances to get something from the game.

2 hours ago, 97Red said:

Think a draw may have been fair but thought Sunderland edged it due to the midfield battle. Both attacks looked good and both defences looked all over the place as I thought all goals were gifts

It’s probably too early for alarm bells to be ringing particularly loudly, but so far we’ve played one of the four teams in this season’s Championship who finished below us in last season’s Championship, and the team who finished fifth in league one, and taken zero points with five goals conceded. The odds on us being relegated have shortened to 5-2 with some bookmakers. 

That said, the last time we lost both of our first two games was 2015-16 (Sheffield Wednesday away, Brentford at home) and we ended that season 18th. 

3 minutes ago, North London Red said:

It’s probably too early for alarm bells to be ringing particularly loudly, but so far we’ve played one of the four teams in this season’s Championship who finished below us in last season’s Championship, and the team who finished fifth in league one, and taken zero points with five goals conceded. The odds on us being relegated have shortened to 5-2 with some bookmakers. 

That said, the last time we lost both of our first two games was 2015-16 (Sheffield Wednesday away, Brentford at home) and we ended that season 18th. 

I think we are in big trouble.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 97Red said:

We got exactly what we deserved from that game overall and that was nothing, that's my honest brutal assesment, first half fifty fifty second half well where do I start, too slow, too negative, took 10 passes to advance 10 yards, knocked off the ball too easily and when players did try to move forward they had no attacking options, look I could go on but I think you get my point, and yes if you think we deserved anything from that game then yes 10 pints is probably the reason, sorry to be so harsh but at my age I have to say it as I see it and today especially the second half we just werent very good.

39 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

We could lose every game 10-0 and we still wouldn't ever be as bad as you and the other resident miseries on here make out.

In quite a long time on OTIB- I have cannot think of a more polarised person than you.

It's like you cannot accept ANYTHING that could possibly be even a mild critique of Nigel Pearson.

So in the tradition of OTIB, I ask: are you his love child or does he have something on you or...

are you Nigel Pearson?