IGNORED

Centre back taking corners

Danwal

Probably brought up in another thread but I’ve watched and played in some terrible standards of football but until today I’ve never seen a CB take corners 

And then there’s playing a bloke at right wing back who’s never played right wing back when you have two right wing backs on the bench 

very confused perhaps it’s Pearson version of total football 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Danwal said:

Probably brought up in another thread but I’ve watched and played in some terrible standards of football but until today I’ve never seen a CB take corners 

And then there’s playing a bloke at right wing back who’s never played right wing back when you have two right wing backs on the bench 

very confused perhaps it’s Pearson version of total football 

Think it says more about our full backs and midfielders that Pearson would rather have a cb take them

10 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

Think it says more about our full backs and midfielders that Pearson would rather have a cb take them

If James was playing, he'd take them.

Scott also takes a decent dead ball, no idea why he wasn't taking them.

Not that Naismiths corners were poor,.

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

If James was playing, he'd take them.

Scott also takes a decent dead ball, no idea why he wasn't taking them.

Not that Naismiths corners were poor,.

He did take at least two (from left corner)…and hit the first man on one of them.  Think the second one went over the back post off their guy for another corner

If he's the best person to take corners then he can take them. 

Seen nothing from anyone else who has taken them previously to get upset about it.

Settling in Wilson is okay, hasn't played at this level yet and took a knock in training a little while back, Nige obviously wanted to be very attacking on both sides with Sykes there but since we're conceding goals there it might be time for Tanner or Wilson next.

It is a long old season and we are creating chances, remember not too long ago we'd have next to no shots in games and we'd be over the moon with robbing teams. 

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

He did take at least two (from left corner)…and hit the first man on one of them.  Think the second one went over the back post off their guy for another corner

Using logic again ?.

Some people are just incapable of separating the stuff that definitely deserves criticism, such as us being defensively poor & outgunned In midfield, with ridiculous stuff.

As you rightly pointed out Scott did take a couple & they were both pretty poor, Naismith had a difficult afternoon (only realised watching the highlights that he was the man beaten in the air for the third) but his corners were actually decent.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Using logic again ?.

Some people are just incapable of separating the stuff that definitely deserves criticism, such as us being defensively poor & outgunned In midfield, with ridiculous stuff.

As you rightly pointed out Scott did take a couple & they were both pretty poor, Naismith had a difficult afternoon (only realised watching the highlights that he was the man beaten in the air for the third) but his corners were actually decent.

No balance from too many posters after a defeat.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No balance from too many posters after a defeat.

Too true. I thought there was some really good stuff first half, I can even put up with the 3rd minute blooper, as long as we’re trying to play the right way. Yes, there is 90 minutes in a game & that for me is my biggest concern from yesterday, we seemed to run out of steam around 55 - 60 minutes. Nige has said we are fitter than we were, I don’t see it on yesterday’s second half performance. Don’t know if it’s just me, but we seem to often look slower & smaller physically. We dropped too much in the second half & possibly the lines became too stretched. But the scapegoating on here on certain players is a bit much, especially after the second game of the season & one of which wasn’t meant to be starting! Definitely room for improvement, but some good signs in there that are seemingly easily forgotten after a loss. COYR 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simon79 said:

Too true. I thought there was some really good stuff first half, I can even put up with the 3rd minute blooper, as long as we’re trying to play the right way. Yes, there is 90 minutes in a game & that for me is my biggest concern from yesterday, we seemed to run out of steam around 55 - 60 minutes. Nige has said we are fitter than we were, I don’t see it on yesterday’s second half performance. Don’t know if it’s just me, but we seem to often look slower & smaller physically. We dropped too much in the second half & possibly the lines became too stretched. But the scapegoating on here on certain players is a bit much, especially after the second game of the season & one of which wasn’t meant to be starting! Definitely room for improvement, but some good signs in there that are seemingly easily forgotten after a loss. COYR 

As I posted elsewhere we lacked a couple of “power” players yesterday, especially against an Alex Neil side.  Kalas and Semenyo are obvious misses in that regard, but possibly Pring too.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Simon79 said:

I’d like to agree. But the problem is that it was the same at Hull last week. And when we run out of steam we end up conceding goals, and conceding more than we score. And if we keep doing that we are going nowhere but L1. 

Agree with you about the scapegoating though: it’s about the team, and about how we play as a team. And you’re right, collectively we looked slower, smaller, less confident, and just allowed ourselves to be bullied. 

13 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Factually wrong on both counts.

Naismith took them at Luton & Sykes played a fair few games at right wing back last season.

Problem is when we lose, the criticism moves on from the logical (such as we are still conceding too many goals) to absolutely everything & bleeding anything.

Now, now, everyone's different. Not everyone can soothe their anguish and disappointment  with "logic" and "facts," some need a bit more than that.  

2 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Our goal last week came from a Naismith free kick from out wide, for what it's worth.

Let's stick to the stuff that's actually wrong rather than inventing things to complain about.

Correct. If a poor corner delivery enables a team to break on us whether Naismith is taking the corner or in the box trying to head it makes no difference. We will be set up (or should be) to deal with it. It’s not like Naismith will be the equivalent danger of say Aden Flint in the opposition box. Just criticism for the sake of it when there are more basic things to be addressing than that.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Naismith took them at Luton & Sykes played a fair few games at right wing back last season.

Problem is when we lose, the criticism moves on from the logical (such as we are still conceding too many goals) to absolutely everything & bleeding anything.

Not factually incorrect my friend as I never said it doesn’t happen and just said I’d never seen it, my point was how poor must your creative players be if your CB takes a corner 

Also I can do a bit of DIY doesn’t make me a builder, Sykes played WB once or twice whereas Wilson played WB all last season and was in the league team of year. For me the right hand side was the problem and you can’t just blame vyner when the guy next to him had little positional awareness and was very light weight 

• Like 1

Really is mental on here after a defeat.
I’ve seen Naismith should be played in all sorts of positions, cause he’s not good enough at the one he played last season winning POTY for Luton in a year that ended with them in the play offs. And now people want him off of set pieces like it matters what position he plays. 

Didn’t Naismith take a lot of set pieces for Luton last year? Got 7 assists. 

Also, yes we have 2 wing backs/right backs on the bench, but Sykes looked very good there last week and deserved his place this week. His performance dipped so I think we’ll see Wilson or Tanner next weekend, that’s the way it should be. 

Edited by Carey 6
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

I never said anything bad about Naismith, he had a shocker but clearly is a decent championship CB, just a bit embarrassing we have no other forward to take corners.

Not really got an issue with Sykes starting to be honest, but when Pritchard basically has target practice for a large part of the second half anyone could see it needed changing. 

22 hours ago, GrahamC said:

But from what i saw yesterday, i’d rather Naismith take corners cos hes winning sod all in the air at a corner! Playing with concrete in his boots, could barely jump and as slow as ive seen a cb in a loooooong time. 

2 hours ago, Danwal said:

I never said anything bad about Naismith, he had a shocker but clearly is a decent championship CB, just a bit embarrassing we have no other forward to take corners.

Not really got an issue with Sykes starting to be honest, but when Pritchard basically has target practice for a large part of the second half anyone could see it needed changing. 

Why does it matter the position of the player who takes the corner? He used to be a winger if that helps? If he's the best player at the club at taking corners he should take corners regardless of his position...

• Like 4

10 hours ago, DaveF said:

Why does it matter the position of the player who takes the corner? He used to be a winger if that helps? If he's the best player at the club at taking corners he should take corners regardless of his position...

Maybe I'm just out of touch with football nowadays but I would prefer a CB who is dominant in the air and a threat in the oppositions box and my wide players to be the best crossers of the ball in the team 

13 minutes ago, Danwal said:

Maybe I'm just out of touch with football nowadays but I would prefer a CB who is dominant in the air and a threat in the oppositions box and my wide players to be the best crossers of the ball in the team 

Is Naismith particularly dominant in the air? He's no Flint. He also played as a wide player for a big chunk of his career so that may explain his crossing ability. If we restrict set piece taking to our wide players then its like DaSilva or Wilson taking everything.

Water under the bridge I know but I’m still disappointed that City let Cundy go.  My understanding is that our contract offer to him was ‘derisory’ (not my word but the person who told me).  And by letting him go out of contract it denied Bath City a sell-on fee which for a club like a Bath City is a pretty big deal.  I’m not saying that Cundy is necessarily better than what we have, but I thought that back three of Cundy Klose Atkinson had a nice balance to it.  Oh well…

17 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Really is mental on here after a defeat.
I’ve seen Naismith should be played in all sorts of positions, cause he’s not good enough at the one he played last season winning POTY for Luton in a year that ended with them in the play offs. And now people want him off of set pieces like it matters what position he plays. 

Didn’t Naismith take a lot of set pieces for Luton last year? Got 7 assists. 

Also, yes we have 2 wing backs/right backs on the bench, but Sykes looked very good there last week and deserved his place this week. His performance dipped so I think we’ll see Wilson or Tanner next weekend, that’s the way it should be. 

??????