IGNORED

FBC POD: Sunderland review - "why the long faces, we played well for an hour"

headhunter

You can listen to us live at 10.00 this morning as we record our latest episode reviewing yesterday's game and also debate the comments Steve Lansdown made in his interview with Geoff 20Man pre-match about "selling" the club: 

https://www.podbean.com/lsw/voj3TKjf6G?lsid=oo5pmu0purw [link to the recording will be posted later in this thread]

Just what was Kal Naismith thinking on 3 minutes when his hesitancy gifted the visitors their first but fair play to City who scored a well worked goal through Weimann to level and then take the lead with Martin's scrambled effort. However from the 60th minute either Sunderland stepped up a gear or, like at Hull, our resilience [fitness?] was found wanting and there was only going to be one winner and it wasn't us. Orchestrated from midfield by Barry Bannan lookalike Alex Pritchard Sunderland loanee Sims grabbed his second and Stewart headed the winning goal as City looked a somewhat disorganised rabble in the closing 15 minutes.

It is quite depressing that c8k non-season ticket holders from Bristol decided to give it a go on the day and whilst they saw a 5-goal thriller how many will be back against Luton a week on Tuesday?

Lansdown's chat with Geoff was very interesting and my interpretation of what he said echoes the thoughts we've expressed on FBC and that is that the football club can be hived off from Bristol Sport if the price is right.

• Like 1

Here's what we recorded earlier: https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/why-the-long-faces-we-played-well-for-an-hour/ [Also on Google, Spotify & Apple]

Intro / out music is in memory of The Seekers lead singer Judith Durham who passed away yesterday - who else saw them in Panto [Humpty Dumpty] at the Bristol Hippodrome in 1966? Who remembers any of their songs including the featured track which was also made into a film?

Ian's views are quite balanced, Neil's typically analytic & thoughtful, Mark provides some humour and DaveP wrestles with typical FBC Pod sound issues!!!

• Like 1

Sorry, I applaud your attempt to discuss the game and matters around it but your comms set up leaves a lot to be desired, I appreciate you are working on a shoe string but you need to get some professional advice about your set up, it detracts from the conversation to the point where it’s more about ‘turn your mic down’ than any relevant opinion.

A great pity because the opinion of the fans is worth listening too.

23 hours ago, Countryfile said:

Sorry, I applaud your attempt to discuss the game and matters around it but your comms set up leaves a lot to be desired, I appreciate you are working on a shoe string but you need to get some professional advice about your set up, it detracts from the conversation to the point where it’s more about ‘turn your mic down’ than any relevant opinion.

A great pity because the opinion of the fans is worth listening too.

I agree, it's got to the point of being unlistenable unfortunately. 

I do not understand why the production hasn't improved over time given it's such an obvious issue. Being live and done remotely cannot be excuses. Plenty of pods are done the same way. 

Investing in some decent mics would be a start, and doesn't cost the earth. 

Disappointing, as I've always liked the content. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Be interested to know how many live pods use Podbean. It seems temperamental re sound when live.

Mark - do you connect via app or pc. I use app and generally had had no issues. 

I use the app Dave. I was connecting via my phone using a 2 and a half year old Virgin Atlantic headset. I'm hoping that the new gear makes a difference.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Be interested to know how many live pods use Podbean. It seems temperamental re sound when live.

Mark - do you connect via app or pc. I use app and generally had had no issues. 

I use the app, and it seems to be ok Dave.

I think Ian gets a bee in his bonnet, and goes on, and on about feedback and sound quality. I think he forgets that it's a live programme, and people don't want to hear about issues like that. Particularly when it only appeared to be between him and Dave.

1 minute ago, Curr Avon said:

I use the app Dave. I was connecting via my phone using a 2 and a half year old Virgin Atlantic headset. I'm hoping that the new gear makes a difference.

What new gear do you have Mark?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I think Ian gets a bee in his bonnet, and goes on, and on about feedback and sound quality. I think he forgets that it's a live programme, and people don't want to hear about issues like that. Particularly when it only appeared to be between him and Dave.

Jabra wireless headphones, with built-in microphone, from John Lewis.

Mind you, we've had several sound quality issues with Podbean since FBC started.

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Like 1

Answer to original question

Sadly for us the game is played over 90 minutes.  Absolutely no good playing well for only  60 mins.  Are the players unfit? Do the players lose focus and concentration? Do the players take foot off pedal once in the lead, and then give up altogether when they squander that lead.

In short it is either a fitness issue or a mental issue.  If the latter what are the club doing about it? If the former why has it not been spotted by one of the gizmos used in the modern game, or even one of the fitness coaches ?  

who will challenge the staff over this when the owner has thrown the towel in and the Chairman - well enough said ?

16 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I could hear the feedback when Ian was talking though, so I understand his frustration. You can't have a proper conversation when you're getting feedback through your device/headphones. 

Ian and Dave seemed to be having the most issues. Could hear lots of background noises too including pen clicking! I'm not an expert but higher quality mic/headsets that block out background noises may assist.

Really needs sorting though, especially if you're going live / no post-production editing. 

2 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

No wonder ?

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I could hear the feedback when Ian was talking though, so I understand his frustration. You can't have a proper conversation when you're getting feedback through your device/headphones. 

Ian and Dave seemed to be having the most issues. Could hear lots of background noises too including pen clicking! I'm not an expert but higher quality mic/headsets that block out background noises may assist.

Really needs sorting though, especially if you're going live / no post-production editing. 

I think Ian’s broadband in Devon is a bit crap, and Dave’s “castle” near Clevedon has two feet thick walls…no wifi gets through that ???

• Haha 1

Always good to listen whilst I'm on my night shift.

Mark needs to turn his mic up every pod seems to be low. Yeah there were issues here and there but still it was listenable for me. Other people will have higher standards on what is and isn't listenable i suppose. I'm sure it can be fixed eventually.