IGNORED

Some Scandalous Positive Thoughts

ExiledAjax

21 hours ago, Fuber said:

Have to point fingers at Han yesterday, he was woeful.

Think we'd need Pring back for that - Jay gets massively targeted at FB for his height.

Han was excellent 1st half, until he took a knock on 42 minutes and could see he was struggling and stopped running, with James injured in warm up, maybe Han was asked to keep going or maybe hoped he could run it off in the 2nd half to try and keep his place, but obviously could not.

I am no fan of JD playing in defence but thought he did OK against Sunderland after being poor at Hull, but would much rather have Pring back there.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Han had a decent first half…but was nowhere second half.

They didn’t target Jay yesterday…they targeted Vyner (with Simms).  They kept any direct ball forward away from Atkinson.  They didn’t really attack our left back, everything was inside right.

My biggest bugbear.  Great when we have got good control of possession and you can spring a long pass, as Williams did a couple of times first half…but their starting position has to be deeper in less secure possession. I moan and moan about this!

....And you're right.  Without having seen it, I bet for the 2nd goal, Sykes is completely out of the game on the far side from the throw in.  He should be in connection with Vyner to enable him to help deal with the exact sort of issue that transpired.  If a wide CB takes a throw, the WB on the other side needs to tuck in as a FB would.  I know this coaching my under 16s team - not sure why we're taking such obvious risks.

3 hours ago, The Bard said:

....And you're right.  Without having seen it, I bet for the 2nd goal, Sykes is completely out of the game on the far side from the throw in.  He should be in connection with Vyner to enable him to help deal with the exact sort of issue that transpired.  If a wide CB takes a throw, the WB on the other side needs to tuck in as a FB would.  I know this coaching my under 16s team - not sure why we're taking such obvious risks.

I don’t think he’s positioned too badly from the throw-in. This is at the point of the first header.

164164AD-37E8-495D-A014-8B42D5DD688E.thumb.jpeg.7f73f8fb640baa3ba14d9ccea8167337.jpeg

The bigger issue is what we can’t see behind (left of pic) and that is a 2 on 2 (Naismith on Stewart, Vyner on Simms).  Atkinson should not be taking the throw-in imho, there is no need.  If Dasilva is taking it, 1) Atkinson is in a better position, 2) Stewart has to split Naismith and Atkinson, Naismith still can sweep to some effect.

C8F3B28D-E849-44FC-BCFC-5BBFC678DCA0.thumb.jpeg.6f3a3552ca63c57ae351d1488aded1df.jpeg

Although the ball is now heading towards Stewart, Sykes has actually travelled a metre or so forward, now further (in likelihood) from Vyner out of pic.

B511B873-114B-4CE1-B45E-C7AB5E2AA673.thumb.jpeg.8f091fdf59599838f165fbc53d8d8490.jpeg

Sykes is never gonna make up the distance.  It’s a helluva pass mind!

Naismith almost gets back in fairness, but Vyner should be showing him outside in this position.  Sometimes you want to show them into danger…this wasn’t the time!

On 07/08/2022 at 10:35, RudiRed said:

Also the midfield being completely over run which could contribute to individual defensive errors.

In the first half we had good movement and plenty of forward passing options. In the second half we went back to last season with no movement.

Each time the ball got played wide at the back our midfield was either hiding or running away from the ball.

As soon as the opposition see this, their press is energised. When ever you want to grown at yet another sideways pass along the back 4 take a look at the passing options. This has been the case for years now.

I thought our entire midfield went awol in the second half.

Also concerning, we were clearly getting overrun in midfield but had no real options on the bench to improve things.

3 hours ago, The Bard said:

Very good reading of the way they got their second goal. But 90% of our fans can only blame one player. The same one that gets slagged for every goal we concede!

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Very good reading of the way they got their second goal. But 90% of our fans can only blame one player. The same one that gets slagged for every goal we concede!

It's economy of thought. And spleen and bile. One cannot be scattering one's bile hither and tither, it must be concentrated, and focused. Immediate, and unthinking. And most of us cannot be bothered/arsed to go into things in such minute detail so as to establish the, er, facts of the matter, like yer Harrys, yer Davefevs, yer Exiled Ajaxes.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Han was excellent 1st half, until he took a knock on 42 minutes and could see he was struggling and stopped running, with James injured in warm up, maybe Han was asked to keep going or maybe hoped he could run it off in the 2nd half to try and keep his place, but obviously could not.

I am no fan of JD playing in defence but thought he did OK against Sunderland after being poor at Hull, but would much rather have Pring back there.

I wouldn't have said he was excellent, he was chasing shadows at times even first half - he was OK, poor after the knock. Him and Williams as a combination just don't see to work neither are as good as James positionally. But it's all opinions at the end of the day.

Point with regards to Jay was if, as mooted in another post, he was moved to fullback in a 4atb system. He's been fine if unspectacular at Wingback.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Because irrespective of Sykes not tucking in, Vyner both played Simms onside, and didn't keep himself goalside and got sold on the latter cutting in for a pack of biscuits.

Simms is simply aerially and on the ground a handful of a striker at this level. Him and Stewart caused Zak and Naismith all kinds of problems.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

6FAE7527-8C9B-4160-99F8-4B1CC7077C2E.jpeg

2A462DE1-0A7B-4F6B-A1D9-EA5504AA250F.jpeg

Cheers Dave- that is even more positive! Experimental 3-6-1 has been my go-to and it is maybe one of the most well known? Which  model is this one.

Kinda reinforces my thoughts, our performances haven't been that bad have they- with Kalas to return and the at times unplayable Semenyo, we could be more stable at the back and give the opposition more to think about thereby easing a bit of pressure on our midfield and defence.

I think had we got 2 draws, we couldn't complain too much- yes we absorbed some pressure at Hull but by the same token the two goals conceded were ridiculously unlucky as far as a pair goes.

Martin off the line as well v Sunderland too, should we have scored that? Good argument we should IMO.

Still might be keen on Wilson or Tanner at RWB too- just feels a more natural fit to me.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

On 07/08/2022 at 11:40, chinapig said:

Thanks Dave, saved me the trouble. And of course he was their player of the season.

Though given the fact that our midfielders can't defend I might now play him as front sweeper in a 4-1-3-2.

This..

Back four with Naysmith in front of them.

Will be seen as too defensive,,however we need to stop the leakage.