IGNORED

Keith Stroud

GrahamC

Interesting that he’s not been mentioned on here at all.

For what it’s worth I thought he was good yesterday, he did let a fair bit go, Stewart & Simms definitely jumped at their man a few times & he let a lot of wrestling go at corners, but at least he was consistent (I saw Martin do the same) & he clamped down on their time wasting well.

Certainly not the reason we lost & far better than last week’s clown.

• Like 19

I thought he was very good but the time he took to get the game started in some dead ball situation was so frustrating. A free kick to Sunderland on the edge of our box in the second half took over a minute to restart and I'm not sure he trusted his Assistant on the dugout side who was poor in the second half missing clear fouls right in front of him.

36 minutes ago, East Londoner said:

He was mainly consistent however their number 4 already on a yellow card committed a second foul similar to ones others had been booked for and kept his card in his pocket 

He was better than I expected from previous games. As for your point, I'm sure he reached toward his pocket for a card then stopped when he realised he'd already booked him. 

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

He was better than I expected from previous games. As for your point, I'm sure he reached toward his pocket for a card then stopped when he realised he'd already booked him. 

Is this becoming a problem where referees are unwilling to give a second yellow card which will lead to a sending off?

• Hmmm 2

3 minutes ago, Midred said:

Is this becoming a problem where referees are unwilling to give a second yellow card which will lead to a sending off?

I think it’s always been the case. And, in the cold light of day, it’s probably not a bad thing. I’m not talking about blatant ones, but ones like yesterday where it could have gone either way.

Defintely upsets the balance of the game, generally spoils it, usually means that the 10 man side just shut up shop, and as we all know City are no more likely to win against 10 than they are 11. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Midred said:

Not a problem. I am for keeping players on the pitch. Of course this can't always be the case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

I think it’s always been the case. And, in the cold light of day, it’s probably not a bad thing. I’m not talking about blatant ones, but ones like yesterday where it could have gone either way.

Defintely upsets the balance of the game, generally spoils it, usually means that the 10 man side just shut up shop, and as we all know City are no more likely to win against 10 than they are 11. 

I understand what you're saying but if players get to know which referees don't like to give a second card then what have they got to lose?

30 minutes ago, Midred said:

I understand what you're saying but if players get to know which referees don't like to give a second card then what have they got to lose?

Because they won’t know what the ref will judge blatant and what 50/50. 

I don’t think refs should never give a second yellow. If the Sunderland player yesterday had done a repeat of the foul that got him his first yellow then clearly no option. But the second offence wasn’t that bad, and there was no huge outcry for a card, even if he might have got one of it was his first.

Not simple, I know, but I just feel that it would have spoilt the game unnecessarily yesterday. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, italian dave said:

Whereas a booking has no real benefit to the opposing team. The team that benefits is the one played when the player is eventually suspended for five bookings.

I would much prefer sending a player to the "sin bin" for  20 or 30 minutes for bookable offences.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

Whereas a booking has no real benefit to the opposing team. The team that benefits is the one played when the player is eventually suspended for five bookings.

I would much prefer sending a player to the "sin bin" for  20 or 30 minutes for bookable offences.

I've often thought that about red cards too - usually happen fairly late on, so the benefit to the opposing team that day is fairly short lived. Whilst the next opponents benefit from that team having a (sometimes key) player out. I guess it evens itself out over a season. Just like penalty decisions ??

8 minutes ago, City Cat said:

So....we need another ref to vent our anger on now but he sounds of it...?‍♂️

Plenty of choice...!!

• Like 1

I don't think Stroud's ever been a particularly bad referee, more quirky, but we're coloued by our poor record with him in charge. For the most part he was fine yesterday, although Chris Martin may have felt hard done by with some of the decisions that went against him. Sunderland fans can certainly have no complaints as another ref may have sent Pritchard for a very early bath yesterday. 

1 minute ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I don't think Stroud's ever been a particularly bad referee, more quirky, but we're coloued by our poor record with him in charge. For the most part he was fine yesterday, although Chris Martin may have felt hard done by with some of the decisions that went against him. Sunderland fans can certainly have no complaints as another ref may have sent Pritchard for a very early bath yesterday. 

It wasn't Pritchard, it was Corry Evans.

Considering who the ref was I felt that their number 4 and our Joe Williams were both lucky to stay on the pitch. The Lansdown side linesman was clueless and Stroud made some key decisions for him. He missed some fouls and played on with players on the ground in obvious discomfort but in all honesty I barely noticed him which is remarkable because he is the centre of his own universe.

11 hours ago, Barry Sheene said:

I thought he was very good but the time he took to get the game started in some dead ball situation was so frustrating. A free kick to Sunderland on the edge of our box in the second half took over a minute to restart and I'm not sure he trusted his Assistant on the dugout side who was poor in the second half missing clear fouls right in front of him.

The assistant in front of the Lansdown was useless. Missed a couple of clear offsides in the first half, one of which wasn’t even close, as in the Sunderland striker was a good yard ahead of the last defender as the ball was played. As for picking up defensive fouls by Sunderland in the second half, forget it. So at least he was consistently crap - in their favour! ?