IGNORED

Lansdown willing to sell the club

Negan

Not sure if it’s been mentioned on here but I’ve missed this completely. Can remember him saying about new investors a while  ago but first time I’ve heard of him saying he’d actually sell us…

There will be a few on here hoping he does. How would you all feel if he did? The only people I’d imagine who could afford us, as it’s not as simple as just buying us, it’ll have to be the whole Bristol sport umbrella I’d imagine, would have to be someone extremely loaded. So definitely foreign investors. Man City of the West Country incoming 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0cldbsm

Edited by Negan

Whilst some might criticise the Lansdowns, I think it’s fair to say that he’s invested too much of his own cash and emotion to let the club go to some car crash ownership. He’s a businessman from an environment where due diligence is key, I would be amazed if let the club go without ensuring that the new investors a) had the backing, and b) were in it for the right reasons.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Negan said:

The only people I’d imagine who could afford us, as it’s not as simple as just buying us, it’ll have to be the whole Bristol sport umbrella

Not really. Bristol City Holdings Ltd could be sold very easily, and covers all of the football side of things, men's club, stadium company, womens club. It's separate from Bristol Sport.

You could retain commercial licensing and rental agreements with the Bears, and that could extend to decoration at Ashton Gate.

It's not hard to split the football club from Bristol Sport, because it's already separate.

I'd be really nervous. I'd be nervous that a new owner would get rid of people like Gould and Tinnion, who are doing very very well in their roles. Behind the scenes we are recovering well from the Ashton era and I'd not want that good work undone.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

There’s always gonna be a risk with foreign buyers (as well as with British) but I’d honesty be looking forward to it . Lansdowns been in charge for just over quarter  of a century and the amount of clubs smaller than us or the same size as us that have had some recognisable success is criminal.

As some say he might want what’s best for the club but he seems totally oblivious in actually moving the club forward. You can build as many shiny new stands as you like but it’s gonna mean absolutely nothing when we drop back down to league one but at least it looks good for concerts and the egg chasers .

Edited by Wiltshire robin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Hmmm 1

57 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

A little trepidation. The wrong owner, Saudi Arabia style, could certainly be enough to kill my love for this club. But it’s clear that a change at the top is needed to move forward.

True. It would depend on who and their conduct.

I'd be happy if they can just keep us stable and appoint a consultant on football matters who could chair the club.

Ironically think an American would be ideal for us with the Bristol Sport framework in mind, just weather that's the style of investor that materialises.

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Can  someone explain to me what the benefit is of others buying the club?

We already spend the absolute maximum of what the rules allow so what do the supporters win from new money coming in?

Rather stick with the 'local' guy I think

Well others aren’t spending the maximum and are having a lot more success than us. New owner with different ideas and philosophy might just be what we need to finally get to the prem, everything else is ready and waiting. Then again it could go completely pear shaped. Extremely risky move. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Can  someone explain to me what the benefit is of others buying the club?

We already spend the absolute maximum of what the rules allow so what do the supporters win from new money coming in?

Rather stick with the 'local' guy I think

The local guy wants out that is clear, his son while working at the club (occasionally) doesn’t want to run it, there have been rumours that interested people have had a look and not taken it forward, SL is 70, time for him to enjoy the years he’s got left (many I hope) and not feel the need to continue his involvement.

His legacy is the stadium and training facility, and he’s brought the Bears some success, thank you Steve and family time to move forward.

• Like 2

The thought that Mr Lansdown would sell Bristol City FC but not Bristol Sport confounds me. 

The package has value, but in this case splitting bits off and decomposing what has been built does not. 

The pound is as cheap as **** right now and will get cheaper when Liz Truss (the Labour Party’s biggest asset) gets to be Prime Minister. 

Mr Lansdown has been close before and maybe again in which case it’s about timing. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The only real mistake SL made was taking his eye   off of the ball, and being seduced by the Dark Forces of Mark (Darth) Ashton, SL loves Bristol City, and without his largesse we would be well and truly phecked?.  He has made mistakes,     which i am certain he is well aware of, but they are honest mistakes, when he thought he was doing what he believed was for the good of the club.  He has at times, i think, been given bad advice, but the bottom line is, he will not sell unless he is certain that his fantastic legacy will be continued. For all our current problems, we are still in good hands........for which we should be grateful?

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 10
  • Hmmm 1

6 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

I'd put good money on our next owners being American. 

We have the infrastructure that they like to inherit. Plus the size of the city, and the fact the club has never made it to the Prem. 

SL won't sell to someone who doesn't have the clubs best interests at heart. He still loves the club. 

Yep that’s who I reckon it will be as well. I know someone has said you can buy JUST the football club but it would be stupid to just do that. I also think Lansdown, if he were to sell, would want someone to buy the whole lot and continue the Bristol sport project. We still need that arena for the basketball and other events built next to the stadium along with the hotel. I think the basketball would appeal massively to an American takeover along with the rugby, we’re pretty much a franchise. So much potential here, I think SL has taken it as far as he can. He’s done amazingly well at everything apart from that final step. Whoever would end up buying us has had pretty much all the ground work done. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wiltshire robin said:

There’s always gonna be a risk with foreign buyers (as well as with British) but I’d honesty be looking forward to it . Lansdowns been in charge for just over quarter  of a century and the amount of clubs smaller than us or the same size as us that have had some recognisable success is criminal.

As some say he might want what’s best for the club but he seems totally oblivious in actually moving the club forward. You can build as many shiny new stands as you like but it’s gonna mean absolutely nothing when we drop back down to league one but at least it looks good for concerts and the egg chasers .

I was thinking the other about other clubs who have had very mixed ups and downs in the time SL has been at the club. 

As fans would we be happy if city had a similar recent history to the likes of Bolton, Wigan, maybe Bradford, Blackpool etc who have been in the Premiership, won the FA Cup like Wigan, had a season in Europe like a couple of them but then collapsed and on the brink while we've been fairly stable in the 2 leagues? 

Edited by paul_fox
  • Like 1

I think it's probably time for a change.

Lansdown has been a very generous and well meaning owner, and leaves a decent tangible legacy with things like the stadium and training ground, however he's not really been successful where it counts - on the pitch.

It's depressing to consider how many clubs of our size and smaller have passed us by and achieved notable things in the last couple of decades. Wigan, Hull, Birmingham, Cardiff, and Swansea have all competed in FA Cup/League Cup finals in that time, some of them winning the competition. Brighton, Bournemouth, and now Brentford have established themselves as Premier League teams.

It feels like a change at the top is required to change the longer term prospects for our club. Of course we have to hope that a new owner would be in it for the right reasons, but personally I'm more excited by the idea of new ownership than I am fearful of it. 

• Like 3

I don't know if Lansdown selling up is the right or wrong thing, depends on who to I guess... but it is refreshing to see a topic where people are respectfully talking about it and not just battering the guy and shouting "Lansdown out" and other shite.

The guy has been great here and has earned all the respect possible from us all whether he stays or goes.

Edited by TBW
  • Like 4

Great shame the Lansdown’s want out. Can’t see much other than downsides.

Massive gamble to take the football club alone, the risk not warranting the investment. The entire Bristol Sport package with the stadium, training complex and, critically, the housing land would be appealing to the financial market but only to asset strippers.

Looks like we have missed our opportunity having had the absolute dream ticket.

If only Steve had appointed a decent Director of Football at the start of his tenure. Instead, we ended up with the likes of Ashton and his merry men ruining us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, paul_fox said:

I was thinking the other about other clubs who have had very mixed ups and downs in the time SL has been at the club. 

As fans would we be happy if city had a similar recent history to the likes of Bolton, Wigan, maybe Bradford, Blackpool etc who have been in the Premiership, won the FA Cup like Wigan, had a season in Europe like a couple of them but then collapsed and on the brink while we've been fairly stable in the 2 leagues? 

That’s a good question but honestly it looks like if things aren’t sorted we could be heading to league one anyway so would of been nice to have at least a year of prem football before we go back . 

The thought of being on the brink like derby and Blackpool isn’t a nice one but I think the reality is that if we stay under the lansdowns ownership both of those will be at least challenging for prem football before we ever do .

For a good comparison of how badly we’ve been run the year we got promoted to the champ and had a promising squad with what looked like great momentum  luton had just got promoted from the conference and even they have had a crack in the play offs .

If we want to see the football club progress then 

39 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Great shame the Lansdown’s want out. Can’t see much other than downsides.

Massive gamble to take the football club alone, the risk not warranting the investment. The entire Bristol Sport package with the stadium, training complex and, critically, the housing land would be appealing to the financial market but only to asset strippers.

Looks like we have missed our opportunity having had the absolute dream ticket.

If only Steve had appointed a decent Director of Football at the start of his tenure. Instead, we ended up with the likes of Ashton and his merry men ruining us.

The trouble was Lansdown wasn't the dream ticket for all his massive financial support he has selected a stream of sub standard Managers and topped it off with Ashton as CEO and his son as a Chairman. If only he had kept out of the football side of things and just did the financial side then it would have been brilliant. But for all the great facilities and ground that will form his legacy look at the state of the team/squad and Manager he has left us with.

• Like 6