IGNORED

Wednesdays game now being played at Burton Albion

GrahamC

Pitch inspection tomorrow to see if their game v Rotherham on Sunday can go ahead.

Must admit to not following the Commonwealth Games all that closely, but apparently the pitch has been used for the rugby sevens & is said to be in a hell of a mess.

Perhaps worth reflecting that whilst we had The Killers & Elton doing their thing this summer, playing the friendlies at the HPC was a very smart move.

I’m guessing the Gate will be its’ usual immaculate self tomorrow, thanks to our brilliant ground staff.

• Like 15
  • Robin 1

27 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Pitch inspection tomorrow to see if their game v Rotherham on Sunday can go ahead.

Must admit to not following the Commonwealth Games all that closely, but apparently the pitch has been used for the rugby sevens & is said to be in a hell of a mess.

Perhaps worth reflecting that whilst we had The Killers & Elton doing their thing this summer, playing the friendlies at the HPC was a very smart move.

I’m guessing the Gate will be its’ usual immaculate self tomorrow, thanks to our brilliant ground staff.

Seems a bit odd given that Wasps play there and this hasn't been a problem before.

I think we should be awarded a win in the cup game as a consequence.?

• Flames 1

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Seems a bit odd given that Wasps play there and this hasn't been a problem before.

Their fans are going mental over Wasps apparently not looking after it properly over the summer.

If the game does go ahead in midweek the pitch will apparently be shocking.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Their fans are going mental over Wasps apparently not looking after it properly over the summer.

If the game does go ahead in midweek the pitch will apparently be shocking.

Wasps are utterly skint, but I didn’t realise to the extent that they can’t maintain the stadium 

34 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I watched a bit of that.  The pitch looked fine.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Could we use the pl excuse when they lose to a lower league team? We're not used to playing on pitches like that!

10 minutes ago, The Bard said:

That's playable isn't it?

Looks a bit shit but you can safely play football on it. Everyone on here who has played 11 a side has played on worse...

I guess there must be a reason there is a pitch inspection?

Bit of a worry for them if this is happening in August when we’ve had absolutely no rain.

We have all played on terrible pitches, but we’re not pros earning our living doing it, are we?

11 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Mrs LR has been in Coventry watching the rugby sevens and it is on for many hours over several days so it`s not as easy as saying `Wasps play there so it should be OK` It`s probably been played on for about thirty hours in the last week or so.

Yep. If it's just Wasps playing one 80 minute game they can probably cope. When it's multiple 20 minute games for 3 straight days then it becomes more of an issue.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, redapple said:

Ashton Park was a more than decent pitch. Flat and lots of grass. 

Flat? The egg-chasers pitch had a slope running from the bypass side down.

That said, the kid I thought I'd killed didn't roll down it all the time he was unconscious so it wasn't as severe as some.....

2 hours ago, The Bard said:

Looks a bit shit but you can safely play football on it. Everyone on here who has played 11 a side has played on worse...

@BS4 on Tour...i recall my Sunday debut for your mob away at Pilning. Big cracks in the pitch, ref wanted to call it off, everyone wanted to play. Ref relented with “don’t blame me if anyone goes down a crack and breaks their ankle”.

Which is exactly what our CM did ?

2 hours ago, The Bard said:

Not according to Mark Robins who's apparently doing his nut. Some form of inspection by a (local?) referee he brought in believed it to be unsafe and Robins us expecting that to be confirmed tomorrow. If so it could put our league Cup fixture at risk. 

Thankfully we don't have the same problems with Ashton Gate, although I'm not sure that the HPC pitch is even better. 

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Might Wednesday’s cup game be in doubt?

I wonder if it might be switched to AG as i can`t imagine either side would want a fixture pile-up this early on - particularly if the hot weather continues and bans/restrictions on watering sports pitches come in (anyone know what impact the Southern Water one will have down there in Hampshire?)

Bit of a nightmare to organise though.

8 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I wonder if it might be switched to AG as i can`t imagine either side would want a fixture pile-up this early on - particularly if the hot weather continues and bans/restrictions on watering sports pitches come in (anyone know what impact the Southern Water one will have down there in Hampshire?)

Bit of a nightmare to organise though.

There’s no water restriction on business use, just domestic, so football pitches (& golf courses, for that matter) can continue to be watered.

Talk from their fans that they might withdraw & give us a bye, accepting that there is virtually no time to arrange a switch of venue.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gazred said:

Dog shit for goal posts!

Remember playing at Stanton Drew back in the day and when we drove up they were clearing cows off the pitch.

I can tell you that cows leave a much bigger pile on a pitch than do dogs! :shocking:

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Remember playing at Stanton Drew back in the day and when we drove up they were clearing cows off the pitch.

I can tell you that cows leave a much bigger pile on a pitch than do dogs! :shocking:

Wow, I remember that.

Similar scenario at Temple Cloud as well, if I remember, although it might have been another of those Somerset teams.

Always good matches, and excellent company in their local pubs afterward - although a little bit ‘smelly’ as they had no showers after the game.

17 hours ago, GrahamC said:

There’s no water restriction on business use, just domestic, so football pitches (& golf courses, for that matter) can continue to be watered.

Talk from their fans that they might withdraw & give us a bye, accepting that there is virtually no time to arrange a switch of venue.

Glad u mentioned golf, greens are immaculate at the home of golf LAGC ?

• Flames 1