IGNORED

Andi Weimann

GrahamC

I think Pearson deserves a lot of credit for Weinmans form (as well as the player himself). He resigned him and played him in his favourite/best position generally. For me, he’s never looked like a proper goal scorer until Pearson came in.

If Johnson had managed to get him to score 20 goals in a season, he’d be shoehorning ‘his’ achievement in every interview.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GrahamC said:

His goal yesterday was his 45th at Championship level for us, the same number as Nicky Maynard managed in red & he’s now 3 behind the great Wayne Allison.

I cannot work out the last player to get 50 goals for us at this level, maybe Tom Ritchie? But seeing as he has now scored 24 in his last 48 league games for us (pretty sure that we can all work out that is a one in two strike rate) & of course that doesn’t include a single penalty, it is a truly phenomenal effort & seeing as he now only needs 5 more, he looks odds on to get there.

I know some are now regretting their stereotyping of him as someone who “just runs around” “almost stealing a living” but let’s be completely honest, we would be absolutely fecked without him, wouldn’t we? 

What a shame we don't have a team around him to support his remarkable efforts for Bristol City. 

• Like 1

Weimann is our saviour 

When we got him, I popped over to the Derby forum to thank them for allowing us to get him. 
Their reply was that he wasn’t good enough for Derby - he couldn’t take them where they wanted to go - but he’d do a job for little ole Brizzle. 
Fk them - and I expect Andi to feel the same.  

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, I meant Champ and above.

Absolutely, I mean you can hardly say Tom’s 77 (in his first spell) didn’t come at the highest standard when over half of them were scored in the top division.

I still don’t think those who never saw him play then understand just how good he was at his peak.

Ridiculously modest bloke, too.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Absolutely, I mean you can hardly say Tom’s 77 (in his first spell) didn’t come at the highest standard when over half of them were scored in the top division.

I still don’t think those who never saw him play then understand just how good he was at his peak.

Ridiculously modest bloke, too.

Sir Tom just never looked like a top class forward . He was lanky, not terribly muscular but boy did he earn his corn . 
Top bloke. Top ‘baller.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Club and Country said:

I think a lot of people including myself are now eating humble pie on that one

however it’s worth noting, under Johnson, generally that was all he did 

Exactly. When played out of position it's all he did. Now he's back in his proper position he's doing what he does best.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

You would have done, I'm pretty sure I did. Don't forget TB actually started off as the old wing-half .

Yes, perhaps, as you suggest, Terry Bush was playing as a wing half if ever I saw him, John Atyeo and Brian Clark playing together in the same team.

When I first started watching City (1965/66 season), I am pretty sure the front two were John Atyeo and Brian Clark; of course, John Atyeo retired at the end of that season.

The following season would then have been Brian Clark paired with Terry Bush, before Brian Clark retired at the end of that season, replaced later by John Galley.

Consequently, if I did see all three play together in the same team, it must have been in the 1965/66 season, with TB playing, as you say, as a wing half, unless he was playing as part of a front three.

I wonder if that was possible, as the back five (2-6) I recall back then were Tony Ford, Alec Briggs, Gordon Parr, Jack Connor and Gordon Low. 

3 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Yes, perhaps, as you suggest, Terry Bush was playing as a wing half if ever I saw him, John Atyeo and Brian Clark playing together in the same team.

When I first started watching City (1965/66 season), I am pretty sure the front two were John Atyeo and Brian Clark; of course, John Atyeo retired at the end of that season.

The following season would then have been Brian Clark paired with Terry Bush, before Brian Clark retired at the end of that season, replaced later by John Galley.

Consequently, if I did see all three play together in the same team, it must have been in the 1965/66 season, with TB playing, as you say, as a wing half, unless he was playing as part of a front three.

I wonder if that was possible, as the back five (2-6) I recall back then were Tony Ford, Alec Briggs, Gordon Parr, Jack Connor and Gordon Low. 

Brian Clark moved to Huddersfield in a swap with Johnny Quigley then went to Cardiff and played alongside John Toshack for a while.

I think he played for a few other clubs before he retired.

Because of Atyeo's status Brian is a bit of a forgotten hero.

15 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Brian Clark was only 23 in 1966, he played on for another 12/13 years ending up with Newport.

12 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Brian Clark moved to Huddersfield in a swap with Johnny Quigley then went to Cardiff and played alongside John Toshack for a while.

I think he played for a few other clubs before he retired.

Because of Atyeo's status Brian is a bit of a forgotten hero.

Ah, Yes, I remember now.

I know he stopped playing for City, but, with the passing of (my) years, I thought he had retired, as I recall John Galley signing shortly after.

JQ, of course, was replaced by Bobby Kellard.

5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Brian Clark was only 23 in 1966, he played on for another 12/13 years ending up with Newport.

I never realised (had forgotten) he was that young when he left City, although, of course, to a young boy all men look old.

54 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Ah, Yes, I remember now.

I know he stopped playing for City, but, with the passing of (my) years, I thought he had retired, as I recall John Galley signing shortly after.

JQ, of course, was replaced by Bobby Kellard.

I never realised (had forgotten) he was that young when he left City, although, of course, to a young boy all men look old.

Dec 67

Tony Tony Thorpe was one of my favourite players. Rarely got offside due to his timing of his runs. Glad to see he gets a mention.

I think Weimann's a terrific player and he's definitely benefiting from playing in his correct position. Let's not forget his goal on Saturday was a lovely bit of attacking play and great composure to finish.  Long may it continue.

5 hours ago, Club and Country said:

I think a lot of people including myself are now eating humble pie on that one

however it’s worth noting, under Johnson, generally that was all he did 

We've had too many "square peg" players played in "round holes".

1 hour ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Even when he was "just running around" I never felt he was "stealing a wage." An honourable pro. 

Prior to last season all too often I felt his effectiveness was limited by the abilities of those he played with. In particular, to make the most of his movement and ability to create space, we needed players in midfield with the vision to see this and ability to play the pass to take advantage. I thought that Palmer might be that player, but was sadly mistaken.

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

Prior to last season all too often I felt his effectiveness was limited by the abilities of those he played with. In particular, to make the most of his movement and ability to create space, we needed players in midfield with the vision to see this and ability to play the pass to take advantage. I thought that Palmer might be that player, but was sadly mistaken.

Martin and especially Semenyo assisted most of his goals it seemed. The lack of midfield assists was negated. Maybe someone has the stats to confirm it.