IGNORED

Vyner

Clutton Caveman

I'd honestly consider playing Joe Williams as the Right Centre Back, and a midfield two of James (if fit) and Scott temporarily. 

There's no doubting that Klose is the better defender, but we cannot play 3 left footed centre backs. 

Our right hand side will continue to be targeted in the upcoming games, and I don't see Vyner being able to cope positionally with the gaps made available when Sykes or Wilson advance forward. 

Williams is a calm individual. He communicates well, and would settle into the back line comfortably. He was outstanding in the 'sweeper' role against Middlesbrough last season. 

• Hmmm 1

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

No, he didn’t. He played RCB3, where he has started this season.

I think he played there against PNE 2 seasons back and had a good game, but by the same token played there against Coventry and was poor.

If you wanted a stopper in front of a back 4/5 to combat direct play into a front pair I could see the merits, I’d still worry about switching off though.

But in our current system I think he’d be a poor fit.

Unless there is interest then he will remain here. I can see why Moore had interest and why he’s out on loan. We will have to see what happens with Zak.

Ah yes - couldn’t remember who the third midfielder was: Bakinson, Weimann and not Vyner, but Paterson.

I haven’t read any of the other comments on Vyner, but in my opinion he’s not anywhere good enough a defender to cut it in the championship. He’s a decent football, perhaps a fullback or midfield player but even then not in the CC. I’m sure he’s only still here because of injuries but lesson surely learnt ? 

1 hour ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

I'd honestly consider playing Joe Williams as the Right Centre Back, and a midfield two of James (if fit) and Scott temporarily. 

There's no doubting that Klose is the better defender, but we cannot play 3 left footed centre backs. 

Our right hand side will continue to be targeted in the upcoming games, and I don't see Vyner being able to cope positionally with the gaps made available when Sykes or Wilson advance forward. 

Williams is a calm individual. He communicates well, and would settle into the back line comfortably. He was outstanding in the 'sweeper' role against Middlesbrough last season. 

I’ll repeat it for those at the back, Klose is right footed. Not sure why so many have him down as a lefty

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, TBW said:

Rather leave him out entirely at this point. He was exposed repeatedly by Simms on Saturday and I'm not sure the back line would feel better with him in front of them instead. 

In fairness Simms is a class player and would have exposed a lot of others in the same manner

19 hours ago, GrahamC said:

It’s this.

Dispassionately Naismith was more to blame on Saturday but the difference is as soon as Zak made a mistake he crumbled & his only other contribution before getting the hook was to slice the ball up in the air, which resulted in Sykes picking up a knock as he attempted to stop their attack.

I really wanted another Academy product to succeed but think it is in everyone’s best interest if he moves on now, either on loan or permanently.

NP was ruthless with Taylor Moore, now he needs to have the same conversation with Zak.

There was interest in Moore, though; there has not been one single enquiry for Vyner as far as I’m told and you can understand why. Not many lower league clubs will match what he’s on at this level, and no Championship club other than maybe Rotherham would take him. 

Back to the OP’s post, Vyner might well be able to do a job for a game or two in DM but I bet you he would still lose his man at set pieces, lose his runner and be far too passive to make the position his own at this level. He’s 25 now; he’s no youngster anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Scott - permanently (not temporarily)

52 minutes ago, James54De said:

I’ll repeat it for those at the back, Klose is right footed. Not sure why so many have him down as a lefty

Because he is a rarity who is technically capable on his left foot.  I keep saying, he’s played the vast majority of his career right of centre, in a back 4, or centre or right of centre in a back 3.

On 08/08/2022 at 13:44, Sir Geoff said:

Lots on here would agree with you. But who would you leave out to accommodate him in that role ?

How about the kid with the big hair that DOESN'T SCORE, DOESN'T ASSIST, DOESN'T STOP THE ******* BALL ENDING UP IN OUR NET and wants to piss off at the end of the season if not January?!!

Vyner has two assists this season from Centre Half, that's one more assist than HNM has managed in his CAREER at this club. He's also scored two goals at Championship level, that's two more than HNM has managed since he's been here.

Am I missing something with the French lad who wants out?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

5 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

How about the kid with the big hair that DOESN'T SCORE, DOESN'T ASSIST, DOESN'T STOP THE ******* BALL ENDING UP IN OUR NET and wants to piss off at the end of the season if not January?!!

Vyner has two assists this season from Centre Half, that's one more assist than HNM has managed in his CAREER at this club. He's also scored two goals at Championship level, that's two more than HNM has managed since he's been here.

Am I missing something with the French lad who wants out?

I know you are not keen on H-NM, but that is quite amusing.

Incidentally, I am not disputing the general thrust of your message, just that it elicited a wry smile.

1 minute ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I know you are not keen on H-NM, but that is quite amusing.

Incidentally, I am not disputing the general thrust of your message, just that it elicited a wry smile.

I'm not saying HNM is a bad player and I'm sure he would do a lot better in the right set up. Let's face facts, that set up isn't ours and add in the fact that he wants to run his contract down I wouldn't play him or even include him in the squad. I would do everything in my power, if I was the club, to get him out the building in the next fortnight.

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

I'm not saying HNM is a bad player and I'm sure he would do a lot better in the right set up. Let's face facts, that set up isn't ours and add in the fact that he wants to run his contract down I wouldn't play him or even include him in the squad. I would do everything in my power, if I was the club, to get him out the building in the next fortnight.

In normal times I would agree 100%.

But we are one injury away from a midfield crisis with James out for "3-4 weeks" (we all know what that means).

We need him, if only as a body on the field.

Not a fan of HNM these days, he's technically very good, but a bit of a show pony who hasn't progressed in the last 3 years - but we need him at this time.