IGNORED

Tributes during the game

sugarwray

At the Sunderland game there was a tribute to Stoney Garnett in the 76th minute. He was a remarkable character and it was right that his passing was acknowledged. I was glad of the opportunity to remember a true City fan who made so many of us smile. I am wondering whether these tributes should take place during the game. 

A tribute during play, especially as late in the game as the 76th minute, in a competitive game can lead to unintended consequences. I have seen games where a tribute early in the game where teams “ease off” until the minute has passed. I don’t think there is a code of conduct that both teams should do anything other than make best efforts but you can see some players are influenced in their approach by the stadium atmosphere. Had there been a goal or key incident it would have, one way or another, led to mixed emotions. There didn’t seem to be a coordinated big screen tribute during the game, there were separate tributes to a number of fans (pre match or half time) who had passed away during the summer break. I don’t find fault with the club in this respect. The Sunderland fans joined in but a minute is a long time. Ball in play time was 55 minutes and 7 seconds in the Premier League last season, most fans would prefer to avoid any reduction in that time or any period of play where there is any easing off for the purpose of a tribute.

My preference would have been a single tribute before the game. The players can join in. The big screen can add to the experience. Next best would be to have “in play” tributes in the first half.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

A very nice way to put it.

How about stop the tributes which now seem to happen at every single game? I can appreciate Stoney was a more unique case but if we have 50,000 City fans then approx 12 pass away every week by law of averages.

Personally I go to football for fun, not to be reminded of death.

A tribute to deceased fans once per year would be great.

We already do that around Xmas and new year don't we?

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think this has been done on several occasions on here and my answer is always the same.

However well intended the family/friends intent is, it doesn’t seem “right” that we acknowledge some fans with a minutes applause while other fans don’t get the same. You could have someone who went home and away for 50 years but because the family aren’t that “Twitter literate” they have a muted 2nd minute applause and nothing else, whereas someone else who may have attended 20 games in their life gets the full ovation.  Neither is a lesser fan but because one arranger shouts louder, there is a difference.

Also, as said, what happens if there is a sustained attack during the designated minute and it’s missed? How do the family feel then

I totally understand the families asking for the acknowledgment but we seem to have a request every game. 

The club got this totally right last season with the Swansea “memorial game”. Pictures on the big screen and names on hoardings, photo flyers in the shop. Minutes applause before the game for all. One game every year, everyone equal, everyone acknowledged, one club, one family.

That is brilliantly put. Well done and I fully agree. 

1 hour ago, sugarwray said:

At the Sunderland game there was a tribute to Stoney Garnett in the 76th minute. He was a remarkable character and it was right that his passing was acknowledged. I was glad of the opportunity to remember a true City fan who made so many of us smile. I am wondering whether these tributes should take place during the game. 

A tribute during play, especially as late in the game as the 76th minute, in a competitive game can lead to unintended consequences. I have seen games where a tribute early in the game where teams “ease off” until the minute has passed. I don’t think there is a code of conduct that both teams should do anything other than make best efforts but you can see some players are influenced in their approach by the stadium atmosphere. Had there been a goal or key incident it would have, one way or another, led to mixed emotions. There didn’t seem to be a coordinated big screen tribute during the game, there were separate tributes to a number of fans (pre match or half time) who had passed away during the summer break. I don’t find fault with the club in this respect. The Sunderland fans joined in but a minute is a long time. Ball in play time was 55 minutes and 7 seconds in the Premier League last season, most fans would prefer to avoid any reduction in that time or any period of play where there is any easing off for the purpose of a tribute.

My preference would have been a single tribute before the game. The players can join in. The big screen can add to the experience. Next best would be to have “in play” tributes in the first half.

Yes there was a tribute for Stoney plus Tinners and another fan named Martin before the match including pictures on the big screen and words over the tannoy which was well done I thought (and in fact the tribute on 76 mins took me by surprise) 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, eardun said:

Yes there was a tribute for Stoney plus Tinners and another fan named Martin before the match including pictures on the big screen and words over the tannoy which was well done I thought (and in fact the tribute on 76 mins took me by surprise) 

I liked this tribute too. It was tasteful, well presented and covered the needs of family and friends alike. I'm for a single tribute either at the end of the season, or the beginning of one for friends we've lost in the last year but if the feeling is for something more frequent we could do it once per month. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Extra time might catch you out. We seem to get about 5 minutes as standard these days. 

4 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Make it over 95 to avoid the last minute equaliser

An injury time age wouldn’t be too bad, It would annoy the Dolman Stand lot who won’t be able to leave early out of respect 

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

An injury time age wouldn’t be too bad, It would annoy the Dolman Stand lot who won’t be able to leave early out of respect 

True no good having it ten minutes before ht or ten before the end as there isnt enough time in the day for some to grab a pint sit in Dolman pisses me off going down the steps standing infront of you on way out .

Edited by Cityboy1954

20 hours ago, Big C said:

I don't like it and now stopped joining in as its now to frequent . I always feel the game is carrying on so people could be clapping as we concede a goal. 

And yet with all the tributes we've had, I can't think of one time the opposition has scored during the sixty seconds.

Edit: Thinking about it, perhaps we should clap all game to keep a clean sheet!?

Edited by Laner
  • Haha 1