IGNORED

Coventry City Carabao Cup away match day thread

For info - Carabao Cup rules:

9 subs named

5 allowed on / in 3 events not including ht.

Straight to pens, no E-T.

Im pretty sure Williams won’t make the 20, nor James (nor Bajic, Kalas, Semenyo)

Squad will be

Bentley O’Leary (2)

Wilson Tanner Pring Dasilva (4)

Klose Vyner Naismith Atkinson Towler (5)

Scott Massengo King Kadji Sykes (5)

Martin Weimann Wells Conway Bell (5)

21 total

Olly Thomas might make travelling party.

6 hours ago, pillred said:

Was a bit of a championship club graveyard, hardly a single one got through.

I predict a championship club will get through in our game, lose and we "can concentrate on the league" win and we will be play off contenders... the game could well go to penalties i.m.o......if they dont score in the first 30 seconds

Edited by gl2
1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

I expect Wells and Conway up front, Pring and maybe Towler to play in defence and possibly a cameo appearance by Kalas if he's ready.

I think he will go as strong as he can, whilst considering rest / rotation (minutes).  I don’t think the likes of Towler or Kadji will start.

I thought about this and does us a bit of a disservice really. 

This is a failing/an error of Coventry albeit exenuating circs such as Commonwealth Games and to an extent perhaps, Wasps-yet we are the ones inconvenienced or to a greater extent anyway through the move to Burton.

I'm sure the regulations cover it but it doesn't sit well- plus as others have mentioned, where Northern and Southern Zone end.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Admin
1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I thought about this and does us a bit of a disservice really. 

This is a failing/an error of Coventry albeit exenuating circs such as Commonwealth Games and to an extent perhaps, Wasps-yet we are the ones inconvenienced or to a greater extent anyway through the move to Burton.

I'm sure the regulations cover it but it doesn't sit well- plus as others have mentioned, where Northern and Southern Zone end.

I get your point but can't see how Cov are at fault in anyway

It's Wasps' ground and they are responsible ultimately, though imagine the Commonwealth Games hired the ground for the rugby 7's. How the weather has been recently it is odd what has happened to the pitch you certainly don't get problems like that at any other ground when 7's tournaments are played over a short weekend.

It shouldn't impact our team as we are playing away regardless, it is Cov that I would imagine will find it harder

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

For info - Carabao Cup rules:

9 subs named

5 allowed on / in 3 events not including ht.

Straight to pens, no E-T.

Im pretty sure Williams won’t make the 20, nor James (nor Bajic, Kalas, Semenyo)

Squad will be

Bentley O’Leary (2)

Wilson Tanner Pring Dasilva (4)

Klose Vyner Naismith Atkinson Towler (5)

Scott Massengo King Kadji Sykes (5)

Martin Weimann Wells Conway Bell (5)

21 total

Olly Thomas might make travelling party.

Based off that, I think I'd like to see:

GK Bentley

RB Wilson (Tanner if Wilson not fit to start)

RCB Klose

LCB Atkinson

LB Pring (Dasilva if Pring not fit to start)

DM Kadji

CM Scott

CM Massengo

FW Sykes (playing somewhere between an attacking mid and a wide forward)

FW Weimann (playing somewhere between an attacking mid and a wide forward)

ST Wells

I think that balances using the squad a bit and seeing if Kadji can offer something in the position we most need someone to come in whilst also adjusting our shape for players who are missing and putting out a side who can compete. 

Edited by LondonBristolian
8 minutes ago, phantom said:

I get your point but can't see how Cov are at fault in anyway

It's Wasps' ground and they are responsible ultimately, though imagine the Commonwealth Games hired the ground for the rugby 7's. How the weather has been recently it is odd what has happened to the pitch you certainly don't get problems like that at any other ground when 7's tournaments are played over a short weekend.

It shouldn't impact our team as we are playing away regardless, it is Cov that I would imagine will find it harder

I agree. I think both clubs have been shafted by Wasps and the Commonwealth games but I don't think Coventry can be blamed and I think it shows the problems that arise for clubs that don't own their ground. 

• Like 1

What are we all thinking for the team tonight? 

Personally, I would go for a mixed team of regulars in the starting lineup and bench players. 3-4-1-2 / 3-4-3

(GK) O' Leary

(RWB) Wilson

(LWB) Pring

(LCB) Atkinson

(CB) Klose

(RCB) Kalas (Ideally) If Kalas can't play and judging by Nige's comments I don't think that is guaranteed meaning then you are probably left with no choice but to play Vyner unless you want to play Klose RCB which we have seen doesn't work and then Naismith would come into the team. If Vyner start's and Kalas can't make the bench then I would have Ryley Towler on it. 

(CM 1) King

(CM 2) HNM

Front 3

Wells

Conway

Weimann

Subs

Bentley, Dasilva, Naismith, Kalas / Vyner / Towler, Scott, Martin, Sykes, Tanner, Bell

You can forget Kalas, nowhere near ready apparently.

I posted my side on the Coventry thread, it would be;

Bentley, Wilson, Klose, Naismith, Towler, Pring (if fit), King, HNM, Sykes, Wells, Conway.

My logic being I see no point in “resting” our first choice goalkeeper, Scott & Weimann both need a break after playing all summer, Williams won’t play & Martin isn’t going to play 3 games in a week.

Listening to Nige though I expect Scott might start, as we are without both our first choice central midfielders but otherwise aside from Atkinson starting (I’d still rest him) & JD if Pring isn’t ready, I doubt it will be too far away.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

You can forget Kalas, nowhere near ready apparently.

I posted my side on the Coventry thread, it would be;

Bentley, Wilson, Klose, Naismith, Towler, Pring (if fit), King, HNM, Sykes, Wells, Conway.

My logic being I see no point in “resting” our first choice goalkeeper, Scott & Weimann both need a break after playing all summer, Williams won’t play & Martin isn’t going to play 3 games in a week.

Listening to Nige though I expect Scott might start, as we are without both our first choice central midfielders but otherwise aside from Atkinson starting (I’d still rest him) & JD if Pring isn’t ready, I doubt it will be too far away.

Not towler, he’s been destroyed in every game he’s played. Think it’ll be Klose/Naismith/Atkinson

4 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Not towler, he’s been destroyed in every game he’s played. Think it’ll be Klose/Naismith/Atkinson

Could well be right, but he’s above Idehen in the pecking order & I’m not expecting Vyner to start tonight.

He’ll be a sub (at least).

Bentley

Wilson

Klose

Atkinson

Pring (if fit)

Kadji

Massengo

Scott

Sykes

Weimann

Wells

Logic is to rest some players and rotate squad without putting out a team so weak it cannot compete or sets up the players who come in to fail.

Kadji gets a chance as we need to learn if we have a defensive midfielder in the squad. Sykes and Weimann with Wells lets us try something new in attack to see if we can find more movement without Semenyo.

My assumption is James and Williams not going to be fit/fresh enough to play.

Edited by LondonBristolian