IGNORED

Coventry City Carabao Cup away match day thread

So, if you can't be at a game like that, or follow it on the radio, I reckon the next best thing is - as I was - to be in the pub occasionally checking the score in the presence of a "prowed" Gashead, who follows his side so closely he was unaware of their own League Club "difficulties".  :laugh:

You Redzzz! :city:

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, gl2 said:

Sad to see vile name calling by some of the most prolific posters on here aimed at a fellow fan, his crime was to express his views, and those were not the same views as those posters.?

You're lucky we didn't say he was a Mark Carter alt.

/thoughts & prayers

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, HOZDA said:

Yes they had a weaker side out, yet we made 5 changes. As we know, scoring isn't the issue for us - great result today! Hopefully thay will give the squad a huge lift and boost in confidence. Maybe a cheeky cup run too! On to the weekend!! COYR

Don't get excited folks....

They were a very weak side.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bodiesaffer said:

Just watched the highlights. Poor marking from from Han for the goal conceded. If he stays with his man he  the blocks the pass. 

Difficult to know if Naismith has had any comms with him, because he looks like he’s tried to fill the near-post gap…in case either Wilson gets skinned and Vyner has to go and leave his man…or to block the low cross?  Weimann has watched it all go on too.  King was filling in at LCB3 as Atkinson had followed his man short.

Lots going on.  Probably lots of minor things…and definitely can be improved.  I’m sure they’ll be watching that back and at least asking questions like you have. ??

44 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Difficult to know if Naismith has had any comms with him, because he looks like he’s tried to fill the near-post gap…in case either Wilson gets skinned and Vyner has to go and leave his man…or to block the low cross?  Weimann has watched it all go on too.  King was filling in at LCB3 as Atkinson had followed his man short.

Lots going on.  Probably lots of minor things…and definitely can be improved.  I’m sure they’ll be watching that back and at least asking questions like you have. ??

What was your opinion of how we set up tonight?  Especially in midfield?  Not necessarily the personnel, but more so the formation, do u think it could be the way forward in the league........as we seemed a lot more secure?

3 minutes ago, maxjak said:

What was your opinion of how we set up tonight?  Especially in midfield?  Not necessarily the personnel, but more so the formation, do u think it could be the way forward in the league........as we seemed a lot more secure?

I wasn’t there, so can only go by the stuff on here, media reports etc.

If Weimann was a bit deeper both in and out of possession, making it more of a three (AK, HM, AW) then it’s something I’ve gone on about for quite a while.

Weimann (and Sykes) has such energy I’m sure he can cover lots of ground, and still link up with the forward line but starting a bit deeper.  What a player he is.

• Like 1

Heard some of it last night- quite enjoyed it what I heard and watched the highlights just now.

Yes Coventry made 8 changes but we made 5 of our own plus of course the continued unavailability of Kalas and Semenyo added to the recent unavailability of James. I thought Massengo as for one of the goals vs Sunderland ran out of midfield with it quite well. Competition for places is always healthy.

Was this Wilson's 1st competitive start- how did he do? Nice to see Pring start, two goals will do Conway's confidence some good- Bell off the bench, late assist for Weimann I believe- who took it very well- icing on the cake. Massengo assist? Goal for Wells too.

Feels like it was a good performance despite all of the disruption with venue- although that affected both sides albeit us moreso- and hopefully can provide a) A bit of a springboard and b) The compeition for places can see players push each other on a bit- should see Williams and Martin refreshed a bit for Saturday too, two who need their workload managed a bit.

Wycombe is a winnable tie too albeit tricky.

Just been watching a few highlights on Wyscout (the whole game is pretty much on there but my monthly video allowance is running out), looks like Weimann and Massengo starting positions in basic shape we’re right and left (and advanced) of King.  Felt a bit like Holdenball 5122 (3142dm), but not high-flying “eights” like Paterson and Weimann, more conventional midfielders.

We will see if it shapes up similarly versus Wigan.

Just watched the first half.

Read reports that Cov were poor, but honestly, we absolutely blew them away in the opening 45.  The tempo of our play was fantastic.  Pass, control, move it, good movement off the ball.  We most definitely made them look poor, they could not cope with us.

God only knows why Pring’s far post header was ruled out?  Should’ve been 4-0 at h-T.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Just watched the first half.

Read reports that Cov were poor, but honestly, we absolutely blew them away in the opening 45.  The tempo of our play was fantastic.  Pass, control, move it, good movement off the ball.  We most definitely made them look poor, they could not cope with us.

God only knows why Pring’s far post header was ruled out?  Should’ve been 4-0 at h-T.

I'm starting to wonder if Pearson's solution to fixing lasts season's habit of losing by 1 goal on a shoestring budget is to reduce goals conceded by only a small amount, but to then try and score EVEN MORE goals.

Concede 70, but score 90. Bang, GD of +20 and into the playoffs.

• Haha 1
42 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I'm starting to wonder if Pearson's solution to fixing lasts season's habit of losing by 1 goal on a shoestring budget is to reduce goals conceded by only a small amount, but to then try and score EVEN MORE goals.

Concede 70, but score 90. Bang, GD of +20 and into the playoffs.

Watching Weimann’s goal reminded me of Scot Murray when he used to cut in from the right and scoring from a tight angle - usually put thru by Tinnion…….

Edited by Robbored