IGNORED

BENTLEY CAPT

Topper 123

I’ve never liked keepers as captains for me keepers to keep your eye on the ball I don’t understand how you can concentrate on the rest of the game when you’ve got a Marshall box, for me I’d like to see a leader in the middle of the park, for me Bentley don’t have the balls to be captain and there is no leadership from the last third The guy needs to concentrate on his goalkeeping

• Like 5

Not that much choice 

One of only about  5 players likely to play every game.

Kalas (if not sold)

Williams (if stays fit)

Naismith (if does not keep getting assists for the opposition)

Wieman (will play every game)

Seymnyo/Scott (will play but to young

Give it to Wieman - leads from example with effort.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Many many people in football say that the captains job is an overrated one on the pitch. It’s more of an off field job as a link between players and manager. Whether it’s Bentley or James or Williams or Klose, I don’t think it matters at all on the pitch 

Agree, it’s about leadership and communication on the pitch, not who has the armband.  Noticeable at the HPC who the leaders and talkers are….Bentley, Naismith, James, Williams, and Klose.

Edited by Davefevs

I think Naismith will be captain eventually when he's settled. Already touted as a leader.

I don't agree with giving it to Wiemann. Not that he's not capable, I just don't really like forwards as captains because most of the play is behind them. 

Defenders have the play in front of them and midfielders are central to everyone.

Maybe a simplistic view I suppose.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Superjack said:

I think Naismith will be captain eventually when he's settled. Already touted as a leader.

I don't agree with giving it to Wiemann. Not that he's not capable, I just don't really like forwards as captains because most of the play is behind them. 

Defenders have the play in front of them and midfielders are central to everyone.

Maybe a simplistic view I suppose.

Jury is still out on Naismith he has made 2 costly mistakes in single goal defeats in the first 2 games of the season and some fans are already on our managers back because of it 

11 hours ago, Magger1 said:

I’ve never liked keepers as captains for me keepers to keep your eye on the ball I don’t understand how you can concentrate on the rest of the game when you’ve got a Marshall box, for me I’d like to see a leader in the middle of the park, for me Bentley don’t have the balls to be captain and there is no leadership from the last third The guy needs to concentrate on his goalkeeping

I've said this since he was made captain by NP, I was watching him on Saturday V Sunderland,no shouting at players ,no instructions to  the players,we need a outfield player as captain,

On-pitch captain is overrated in football. Everyone should be commanding shit and communicating anyway so it's a bit irrelevant. Once you're playong the game you don't think "oh he's my captain so I'll listen to his shouts more seriously". You're busy playing to think that. During stoppages, pre-game, half-time is when the captain might do something and at those points what does it matter where the guy plays on the pitch?

Have to disagree with anyone saying Andi Weimann should be captain as he leads by example.  I love the blokes energy, work-rate and recent prowess in front of goal.  But a massive bug-bear for me with him is that he doesn't play to the whistle.  Ever.  He'll be remonstrating with the referee while someone walks past him with the ball with no reaction.  He was directly at fault for at least one goal at the Gate last year (I think against Derby) where he just had his arms in the air appealing for handball just outside our area rather than closing down the opponent who was 5 yards in front of him.  The pass was made, unchallenged and they scored.  Was at it again on Saturday and at Hull.  It's his one blot on his copybook but an important one when considering him for captain.

54 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

He kept us up. Agreed...but somewhat irrelevant.

I think you will find db made more gaffs, the andi last year. Agreed, but somewhat irrelevant.  We're talking about captaincy.

I like to see nakhi wells five yards outside our box, tracking back. Completely irrelevant

To score that many goals from open play and suggest to he doesnt play to the whistle?

Seriously? Yes.  I would expect someone who is there to lead by example to lead by example....playing to the whistle is the most basic instruction of all.  The number of times he just stops when he thinks we should've been given a decision whilst the play goes on is too much.  He has been on fire and is in the form of his life, but of course he's not perfect - if he was he wouldn't be playing for us.  This is one bug bear of mine where he needs to suck it up and get on with it and have a word with the ref when the ball is dead.  Personally, I don't see him as a captain.  Just my opinion, but you do make it sound like I can't stand the bloke which isn't even remotely true.

3 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Steve, you are talking about 1 mistake.

Hes our most consistent and industrious player.

Im not making out like you dont like him.

Just seems strange you dont want t make him captain, on the basis of appealing for a handball against derby last year.

In the grand scheme of things. i think thats irreverent dont you?

I'm really not talking about one mistake.  I provided an example where it directly cost us and also stated that it seems to be a recurring theme.  And just to be clear, it wasn't a mistake against Derby - it was negligence!  At other times it tends to happen after conceding possession further up the pitch, but by just sitting/standing motionless with his arms up in the air he is taking himself out of the play instead of regrouping to try and put the opposition under pressure after losing possession.

This continually happening, regardless of whether it's leading up to a goal or not, is why I wouldn't have him as captain.  That and the fact that like others I prefer a captain to be either in defence or midfield.

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

This thread is called bentley capt.

To discuss his gaffs, is far from irreverent.

If max would have performed, i gurantee he wouldnt be no 1 after being dropped.

No, to compare the gaffs with Andi's shortcomings is irrelevant.  Mistakes don't make a bad captain, just as being an excellent player like Andi doesn't mean you'll be a good one.  Kalas is a full international who has represented his country in World Cups and European Championships, but he was a dreadful captain!

On 08/08/2022 at 22:07, Better Red said:

Not that much choice 

One of only about  5 players likely to play every game.

Kalas (if not sold)

Williams (if stays fit)

Naismith (if does not keep getting assists for the opposition)

Wieman (will play every game)

Seymnyo/Scott (will play but to young

Give it to Wieman - leads from example with effort.

But if you give the capacity to Weimann,  would he lose his sharpness on the pitch,  while he is thinking about others, and other things on the pitch ? 

No Bentley is fine, or Klose would be better.  International experience.