IGNORED

What a mess

Ivorguy

What a mess we are in.

An owner saying he wants out having failed in his declared objective for over a quarter of a century

Many fans wanting manager out

Too small a squad at this level

Best players may yet leave, even worst players leaving could leave unfillable gaps in squad

Possible points deduction still on the horizon.

Supporting City has, over my 8 decades as a fan, never been easy but the present cup of woe does seem very worrying indeed.

• Thanks 1

What a mess we are in.

An owner saying he wants out having failed in his declared objective for over a quarter of a century

Best players may yet leave, even worst players leaving could leave unfillable gaps in squad

Supporting City has, over my 8 decades as a fan, never been easy but the present cup of woe does seem very worrying indeed.

• Hmmm 1

Is going to be a worrying couple of seasons. I think they are preparing for it though. Think it was blatant lie about prem in 3 seasons. Think NP is strictly to get us through this rough period financially. Next season shaping up to be the toughest yet possibly. 4 starters ooc after season. Scott, Sememyo and Massengo could all be going in the next 12 months too. NP contract up when the finances start getting better think we should be looking at a fresh face then. Was hoping for a positive year this season with all that in mind. Still plenty of time for that but a bad start not ideal for the club. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

3 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

What a mess we are in.

financial reality is kicking in.....it'll happen to all clubs eventually. 

Yes SL says the club is up for sale, but that isnt new news

Yes its a small squad, but Pearson doenst want a large squad and he's had to chop a lot of dead wood from the club

Bristol City have always sold their best players (in my time of supporting the club - (since 71), but thats been the case for the vast majority of clubs in the 92. 

I think the events leading up to and the events of '82 were worse. Dropping into L1 isnt the end of the world. Undesirable, but not the end of the world

• Like 4
  • Robin 1

I'm obviously unhappy with our start but don't think this is by any means the worst period I can remember, even in recent years.

Our results and performances are disappointing but I think our squad is in better shape than it was at the start of our relegation season under McInnes, during our time scraping the lower end of League one with SOD, during our dire period at the end of Holden's reign and start of Pearson's and in better shape than it was at the start of last season.

We need two injured players to get fit and we need to find a way to bring 2 or 3 new players in, even if it means selling one of our key assets to afford it. We need to get some good results soon to lift the mood around the club but I'm not overly worried yet

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 17

Depends on your mindset. 

Current owner has built a fantastic stadium and plans for further growth around the ground. Great for the city of Bristol too. 

Operating in one of the top 5 leagues in the world in my view. Real quality in the division, a lot of ex Prem sides and some fantastic grounds to visit. 

Majority of fans I believe are behind Pearson. Despite the negative results so far, I think the performances have been ok. It’s a shame we didn’t win sat in front of a full house. 

Agree on the reinforcements side of it. Loans where possible if we can facilitate it.

Best players may leave, that’s football. We may find a hidden gem who’ll take us to the lofty heights of the top 10 (before leaving as that’s football). 

Could be a lot worse. Could be any others of the local sides in the south west. 

• Like 12

10 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

What a mess we are in.

:sub:

9 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

financial reality is kicking in.....it'll happen to all clubs eventually. 

Yes SL says the club is up for sale, but that isnt new news

Yes its a small squad, but Pearson doenst want a large squad and he's had to chop a lot of dead wood from the club

Bristol City have always sold their best players (in my time of supporting the club - (since 71), but thats been the case for the vast majority of clubs in the 92. 

I think the events leading up to and the events of '82 were worse. Dropping into L1 isnt the end of the world. Undesirable, but not the end of the world

That isn't what SL said. He said the club isn't up for sale but that he would sell it if the right buyer and circumstances happen. He said he's looking for ourside investment in the tens of millions and would give up majority share if the right buyer and circumstances were there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is definitely a tough time, the mistakes of Ashton & LJ have really stymied us.

But if anyone seriously thinks it is as bad as the Pulis era watching a team of injury prone 30 somethings gain a succession of 0-0 draws or even the worst of SOD, watching JET trying to bail out his team mates so we could get a draw at home to Orient or Colchester, they’re mad.

• Like 18
  • Flames 1

Glass half empty : What you said

Glass half full : New ownership might have true ambition to get us in the PL. We have two very good, in demand players who we could keep hold of and hope they have a great season. We have a 20 goal striker on our books, who looks bang in form. We have trimmed a lot of the fat from the squad, and made us more finacially viable. If we get some luck, manage to keep players fit and go on a bit of a run - as i believe we are capable - then who knows where we end up

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

I think once we get going and can get Kalas and Semenyo back we will be fine this season so much as in we won’t get relegated.

That is IMO behind the scenes all the board and probably Pearson are truly expecting with the squad as it stands barring a minor miracle.

Certainly isn’t a disaster and nowhere near as bad as some recent times. I still have faith that Pearson is the right man..

• Like 5

The only positives I see is that we have Kalas and Semenyo back soon. We also competed very well at times in both games and were not oberly dominated. 

Plenty of negatives but overall a very concerning start. The general consensus is we need a couple of players in and we look pretty weak physically compared to so far to Sunderland and Hull.

51 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

What a mess we are in.

50 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

What a mess we are in.

You're that wooried that you said it twice???

:innocent06:

An owner saying he wants out having failed in his declared objective for over a quarter of a century.  To be fair, most over 70s want to step back from something that must take up time and resources galore. However, Lansdown has made clear what he really seeks is a new co-owner to 'inject new ideas' and share the cash pain of owning a football club.  He may be open to completely selling-up, but has made it clear that this is only to the "right person", someone with the club's long-term at heart. I believe him. 

Many fans wanting manager out A vocal minority

Too small a squad at this level In 20/21 we had lots of Otib experts saying we had too big a squad. The reality is we have a 32-man First Team squad. One less than Hull, but 7 more than Sunderland. It's the quality and experience of the squad that is the issue, not the size. 

Best players may yet leave, even worst players leaving could leave unfillable gaps in squad Players leaving may free wages or attract fees enabling better players to be brought in. Anyway, nothing much is confirmed yet. Do not 'catastrophise'. 

Possible points deduction still on the horizon. The legacy of a profligate CEO and a compliant head coach, both now no longer with us. Nothing we can do about past misdemeanours, but the rot has at least been stopped.

• Like 14

The club probably does need fresh faces, new ideas so a new owner might work (gamble though). Currently, BCFC as a club is limping along. Would rather wait until a fully fit squad is available before talk of relegation but the early signs are not good. Maybe it is time for a new owner as it looks like SL has lot his appetite for BCFC. 

But things are nowhere near as bad as the days of the Ashton Gate 8 - most on here will have no idea how bad it was then.

Edited by Tin Soldier
  • Like 1