IGNORED

What a mess

Ivorguy

In previous seasons SL could've written off the debts of a previous managerial regime and start again. With FFP however we have to be accountable and we are still paying for that reptile's folly. Unfortunately football finances below the Premier League are completely different. The Premier League distorts everything so we simply cannot just get rid of "X & Y" signed on big contracts & replace them with "Z" on even bigger contracts.

In my view, football is in a mess and the Premier League & more importantly club's with parachute payments in the Championship distort the whole picture by stock piling talented players on ridiculous contracts and paying monopoly money for new talent.

I can see the gap just getting bigger and bigger unless something is done. 

• Like 6

I think it was a total mess from approx January 2020 until May 2021, particularly coinciding with the purchase of Wells which was a very shocking decision considering our finances and then moving through the appointment of Holden.

Since Pearson has been appointed I can only see improvement. In May 2021 we had no saleable assets, now we have Scott and Semenyo worth multi multi millions, playing a good style of football and scoring lots of goals. If we could just improve our leaky defence then I would be super positive.

• Like 7

Not pressing any panic buttons yet, we probably deserved a point from both games but at the end of the day we didn't get them. Feels a bit same old, late goals conceded, can't hold on to a lead and costly individual errors. 5 conceded in 2 games is not good enough and we won't win games conceding 2 or 3 a game. We have 4 games in just under 2 weeks and I feel we need some positive results from them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

What a mess we are in.

An owner saying he wants out having failed in his declared objective for over a quarter of a century

Many fans wanting manager out

Too small a squad at this level

Best players may yet leave, even worst players leaving could leave unfillable gaps in squad

Possible points deduction still on the horizon.

Supporting City has, over my 8 decades as a fan, never been easy but the present cup of woe does seem very worrying indeed.

You been spouting your anti SL nonsense as long as I can remember on this forum, every time we hit a bit of a rocky patch you rush to your keyboard with excitement (over excited today you posted it 3 times!) that perhaps you can eventually get some sort of support in your quest and hatred of SL.

Just utter crap as normal

• Like 5

Glad to see some positivity on here ,there was a lot of run to the hills merchants who turned up Saturday that we will probably not see again. Yes it's not great , things hanging over our heads etc but some of the above in my view is bang on ,you just don't know what the season is going to bring you 2 games into a season on and off the pitch . We have been in tougher times than this ffs 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chucky said:

That isn't what SL said. He said the club isn't up for sale but that he would sell it if the right buyer and circumstances happen. He said he's looking for ourside investment in the tens of millions and would give up majority share if the right buyer and circumstances were there. 

So, just to be clear: we aren't for sale, but we might be for sale?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tin Soldier said:

The club probably does need fresh faces, new ideas so a new owner might work (gamble though). Currently, BCFC as a club is limping along. Would rather wait until a fully fit squad is available before talk of relegation but the early signs are not good. Maybe it is time for a new owner as it looks like SL has lot his appetite for BCFC. 

But things are nowhere near as bad as the days of the Ashton Gate 8 - most on here will have no idea how bad it was then.

Not even as bad as- recency bias sure- bottom end League 1 under O'Driscoll and Cotts early days or before that, Tinnion followed by GJ as late as February 2006 when we were in the bottom 4.

I don't see us going down but there are a lot of variables.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

So, just to be clear: we aren't for sale, but we might be for sale?

Just to be clear, the club isn't on the market but would be sold under the right circumstances.  Just like if your home wasn't on the market, but someone knocked on your door and made you an offer that you couldn't turn down.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

What a mess we are in.

An owner saying he wants out having failed in his declared objective for over a quarter of a century

Best players may yet leave, even worst players leaving could leave unfillable gaps in squad

Supporting City has, over my 8 decades as a fan, never been easy but the present cup of woe does seem very worrying indeed.

Would you have posted this if we had got 4/6 points from our opening 2 games ?

41 minutes ago, chucky said:

Just to be clear, the club isn't on the market but would be sold under the right circumstances.  Just like if your home wasn't on the market, but someone knocked on your door and made you an offer that you couldn't turn down.

Nothing like.

SL has publicly announced he would sell

Bad management in my opinion as it must undermine coaches and players.  NP would probably first to receive P45

• Confused 1

For "bed wetters" read fans who are worried. Take a look at the 2 teams last night WBA and Watford either would blow us away at the moment and both are likely to be in a different league than us next season.

Then look at the games coming this month Wigan, Luton, Cardiff, Blackpool, Hudders, wouldnt bet on us getting 2 or 3 points from the lot; past that hmmmm, Sept brings Blackburn, Preston, Norwich and Burnley...we should all be worried.

Cant see where the wins or any win is coming from, add that to the fact that if any sort of bid that comes in for any of our top players they are gone,

We seem very weak atm on and off the pitch, if we do manage a few points somehow, likely we could well get points deduction, if you are not worried you should be we will be doing very well to stay in this div this season.

NP seems very "dull" and needs a bit of bounce around the ground injecting, I`d bring back double winning SC myself, not gonna happen with SL here.

So would love us to be midtable at least this year, cant see it though...worried, very worried.

3 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

What a mess we are in.

You alright Ivor? Have you face planted onto  your keyboard?

Edited by Will Rollason

3 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

What a mess we are in.

Thanks a bunch. I feel like the meringue in this clip from the Young Ones.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Nothing like.

SL has publicly announced he would sell

Bad management in my opinion as it must undermine coaches and players.  NP would probably first to receive P45

Lansdown has never said he’d be here forever and he’s made it known in the past that he wouldn’t leave us in a worse position than when he joined.

Someone has asked him about outside investment, which we already knew was a possibility, and whether he would consider selling…how would you expect him to answer?

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

It is definitely a tough time, the mistakes of Ashton & LJ have really stymied us.

But if anyone seriously thinks it is as bad as the Pulis era watching a team of injury prone 30 somethings gain a succession of 0-0 draws or even the worst of SOD, watching JET trying to bail out his team mates so we could get a draw at home to Orient or Colchester, they’re mad.

Still the longest period of time that the club has been in this division in nearly 60 years. Anybody who was around in the 80's, knows what a difficult time that was with the club. The difference now is all about expectation.

NP's era feels a bit like the Millen/McInnes time from 10+ years ago. Where managers were forced to make massive cuts to budgets because of the mistakes of previous regimes. Our budget in this division now must place in or around the bottom half of the division. Once we strip out next season, the class of 2019, things look a bit more structured.

Hopefully the new financial regulations coming in will make the Championship a fairer league, and that after this season we're be in a better place financially to take advantage of that.

Just need to stay up again for me this year. Desperate to get a couple of results this month to get our season going. It's hard going at the moment, with not a lot of positive news coming from the club.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

What a mess we are in.

You must be related to Ian Gay……………:cool2:

• Like 2
  • Haha 8