IGNORED

What a mess

Ivorguy

1 hour ago, Notbarrymanc said:

Dans quel gâchis nous sommes.

Un propriétaire disant qu'il veut sortir après avoir échoué dans son objectif déclaré pendant plus d'un quart de siècle

De nombreux fans veulent que le manager sorte

Trop petite équipe à ce niveau Les meilleurs joueurs peuvent encore partir, même les pires joueurs qui partent pourraient laisser des lacunes incombables dans l'équipe

Possible déduction de points encore à l'horizon.

Soutenir City n'a jamais été facile, au cours de mes 8 décennies en tant que fan, mais la coupe de malheur actuelle semble vraiment très inquiétante.

That's easy for you to say!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Shelton’s Love Gravy said:

What a mess we are in.

An owner saying he wants out having failed in his declared objective for over a quarter of a century

Many fans wanting manager out

Too small a squad at this level

Best players may yet leave, even worst players leaving could leave unfillable gaps in squad

Possible points deduction still on the horizon.

Supporting City has, over my 8 decades as a fan, never been easy but the present cup of woe does seem very worrying indeed.

I’m sure I’m not alone in this but you avatar / name scares me. A shot glass full of Gary Shelton’s jizz? Eww and weird 

1 hour ago, eardun said:

I agree about the positives. I’ve certainly seen some decent quick incisive passing moves already this season and I haven’t always been able to say that. 

Yes only saw highlights of Hull lose. But at the Gate for Sunderland and I saw a much more positive forward game plan . And done some very good quick moves forward through the first and bits in the defined Half's. Pity Semenyou injured because he would be a big impact player in that mould .

Onwards and upwards 

COYR 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, downendcity said:

A real mess would be MA still here convincing everyone what a great job he was doing and LJ as head coach saying he needed yet more clubs in the bag.

Instead we have a chief exec who does not hog the limelight but instead gets on doing what is needed to clear the crap he inherited from his predecessor 

Similarly, we have an experienced manager doing his best to ship out those we don't need or can't afford in order to assist the chief exec meet ffp requirements, while rebuilding an affordable team.

For evidence of a mess where a club has not bitten the bullet as we have done, just look at where DCFC are in the league 1 table.

??????????????????

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Everyone knows our financial situation, yet continues to repeat themselves over "what a mess we are in". 

The truth is, we aren't a mess, we are simply suffering with the financial effects of COVID, and the contracts that the smiling brummie assassin dished out. We will recover. 

Mark Ashton splashed the cash and put us in a difficult position, then ran off into the sunset the first opportunity he got. He is the cause of the problem. 

However, it's not all doom and gloom as some like to paint the picture. Nige is slowly but surely steadying the ship, and reversing the damage caused by previous regimes. 

He has had no money to work with, and won't have any for some time. But he doesn't complain about it. 

People may see that we have lost our first 2 games and will have a moan. But yet it doesn't tell the full story. We should have won, or at least got a point away at Hull, but for some criminal refereeing. And on the weekend against Sunderland individual mistakes cost us. 

Let's look at the positives. As an attacking unit, we look good. We score goals regularly, and our main three attackers work in perfect unison. 

We have bright youngsters in Scott and Semenyo, who bring quality to the side. And if they were to depart, will boost us financially. 

We have a fantastic academy system that produces players every single year. 

We have coaching staff that genuinely care about the club and want to see us do well. From Brian Tinnion, Alex Ball to Mickey Bell, they all know what this club means. 

This is our club, and we should all be encouraging the players and coaching team and showing that we are right behind them. 

If people want to moan at every opportunity, your not fans. Take yourselves over to the blue few and enjoy the tent. 

??????????

8 hours ago, billywedlock said:

We lost £38 m  " yeah I know, but we need a new CB, midfielder, striker " . We have cut our wage budget to under £20m in 18 months "yeah I know but we need ...  This is a tough transition, we are having to develop our players, some of whom are not even 20 "Yeah I know but we need a new CB, Midfielder"  We have 2 very valuable youth players , that are highly sought after ,yet, despite the turmoil they have come through " Ah, OK , then we just need to change the manager "

I do not see the players the manager happy after Saturday , they know they are better  and  can be better than that. But flailing around wetting your bed, is not how we navigate the new future. The new reality of the football finance model. It is a complete reshaping of Championship football and BCFC . But overnight it is not happening. But it is moving in the right direction. 

Change of owner will not change the finances, we are already at maximum spending, so even if Bill Gates too a liking to us, the amount spent will remain the same. We have to grow our revenue streams, that is certain. Some good initiatives last weekend. We also need to develop our youth players, again you can see progress. Recruitment is the big area, and whilst it is early days, we are also looking like some progress has been made . 

Unless I am mistaken, Andi Weimann has 2 goals in 2 games. The headless chicken, the player who will never score more than 20 again. I am also pretty sure I saw one of England's European under 19 championship winning players on the pitch. Not many of those outside the Premiership. I am los pretty certain the club said the game was a sell out. Oh, and fans could buy a beer for under £4  (trying doing that in a pub these days) 

I know fans expect a lot, every club is the same, and there was a dream to get to the Prem when you are in the Championship . But we built a ground and training facility but forgot to put in place some of the footballing essentials to make that move. Add in a financial cluster duck of almighty proportions, and putting it right is slow. That does not mean anyone is accepting a 17 th place finish again, of course not, and we will see progress this season. Maybe not as much as everyone wants, but it will be another step along our road , not only of recovery, but to build a strong Championship side that is also sustainable. 

??????????

8 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Thanks a bunch. I feel like the meringue in this clip from the Young Ones.

Haha, Andy de La Tour, young ones…I can almost recite it word for word without watching it!  Memories.

5 hours ago, maxjak said:

After listening to Pearson's press conference today?...........I believe "Mess"  is a considerable understatement?  We are mostly an ill equipped shambles, how did we ever end up in such a poorly organised situation?  We will somehow limp onwards through the season, with fingers crossed that we don't succumb to any significant injuries? 

I cannot get my head round just how threadbare our squad is?   If we finish above 18th it will be a miracle.............the team i have supported throughout my life, has become a poorly financed and mismanaged shadow of it's former self?    Listening to Pearson's negative droning just depress's the pheck out of me, although i appreciate it is the reality of our situation?   The loyal supporters of Bristol City deserve so much better..........what is the point of a billionaire owner.....if we play and perform like a badly scripted sitcom?

The owner took his eye off the ball, and thought his son had it under control.

The loyal ones, yes.  The fickle, bed wetters, not.  They bask in negativity, the kind of fans that if they were players Nige would call them “energy sappers” and would be trying to move them on.

The ignorance of the situation the club are in for the entitled “fan” winds me up.  I don’t expect every fan to appreciate (or want to appreciate)the non-90 minutes side of Football, it’s more those fans that do get it, or have it explained to them, but continue their agenda-based crusade that get me.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 5

20 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

What a mess we are in.

An owner saying he wants out having failed in his declared objective for over a quarter of a century

Best players may yet leave, even worst players leaving could leave unfillable gaps in squad

Supporting City has, over my 8 decades as a fan, never been easy but the present cup of woe does seem very worrying indeed.

Ever feel like you are repeating yourself ?

Perhaps the eight decades is catching up but don't worry mate as I'm very close behind you. It's been entertaining at times & frustrating for the most.

Hang in there Ivorguy :thumbsup:

Edited by bpexile

11 hours ago, Notbarrymanc said:

Dans quel gâchis nous sommes.

Un propriétaire disant qu'il veut sortir après avoir échoué dans son objectif déclaré pendant plus d'un quart de siècle

De nombreux fans veulent que le manager sorte

Trop petite équipe à ce niveau Les meilleurs joueurs peuvent encore partir, même les pires joueurs qui partent pourraient laisser des lacunes incombables dans l'équipe

Possible déduction de points encore à l'horizon.

Soutenir City n'a jamais été facile, au cours de mes 8 décennies en tant que fan, mais la coupe de malheur actuelle semble vraiment très inquiétante.

Really !!!

11 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I’m sure I’m not alone in this but you avatar / name scares me. A shot glass full of Gary Shelton’s jizz? Eww and weird 

Don’t be frightened, it’s not really Gary Shelton’s jizz.

It is a glass of cow’s milk.

Edited by Shelton’s Love Gravy
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

How many of those games were in the season he took over from Holden? 

He didn't even have the chance to make a dent in the squad at that point. 

I really don’t understand those who post stuff like this.

Last season his record was W15 D10 L21, which is a win ratio of 32.6%, not amazing but not what’s being quoted, either. A loss ratio only matters in relation to a win one.

By the end of this season we will have a clear indication of whether NP’s project to run a smaller, far cheaper squad at a time when we are under huge pressure from FFP is working.

Smart arse stuff without any context re loss ratios is futile.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Last season his record was W15 D10 L21, which is a win ratio of 32.6%, not amazing but not what’s being quoted, either. A loss ratio only matters in relation to a win one.

By the end of this season we will have a clear indication of whether NP’s project to run a smaller, far cheaper squad at a time when we are under huge pressure from FFP is working.

Exactly, context is key.

SL said on Saturday that our wage bill is now sub-£20m, which is quite incredible. That means Pearson has nearly halved it from a club record high of £35.3m in the 2020/21 accounts. 

• Like 9

23 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

What a mess we are in.

For me the problem is, who would want to own a Championship club? Considering parachute payments and FFP its a pretty toxic environment to enter even if your ego and wealth allows you to invest with little chance of ever seeing a profit.

Until wages and income are balanced very few sane people will enter club ownership.

As for us, SL made the big bid but had the wrong management team in place. Money wasted, hands tied with FFP because of that and a supporter base that expects far more than he can deliver.

Why would he not want to sell?

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

That first season may aswell be wiped clean, as he had zero input on a bloated squad that was hampered by injuries to key players, and no opportunity to bring in his own staff/players. 

Last season was balanced, and pretty expected. 

This season will be more of an indication as you mention, but he is up against it in regards to resources, so I'm still backing him. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Clutton Caveman said:

As for us, SL made the big bid but had the wrong management team in place. Money wasted, hands tied with FFP because of that and a supporter base that expects far more than he can deliver.

SL has put in around £170m in the past 10 years and not achieved a single season of Premier League football. No other club has spent that much and failed to get to the Prem, and many clubs have got there spending far less. 

In the 2020/21 season, which we started under Holden, we had the seventh highest wage bill in the Championship.

Supporter expectation has always been pretty reasonable, SL ultimately just hasn't delivered.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

@Kid in the Riot I follow your posts as I know you are ITK at City. Infact you have been right on several occasions in the last few years when many ridiculed you on here at times. Your last sentence is the bit that I have to agree with.

SL has failed to deliver a team capable of Premiership football. Got close yes, but ultimately failed.
The Ashton/Johnson failure will be his legacy amongst most City fans, rather than the ground, which is great but ultimately it is what happens on the pitch for me. A real shame.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

SL has put in around £170m in the past 10 years and not achieved a single season of Premier League football. No other club has spent that much and failed to get to the Prem, and many clubs have got there spending far less. 

In the 2020/21 season, which we started under Holden, we had the seventh highest wage bill in the Championship.

Supporter expectation has always been pretty reasonable, SL ultimately just hasn't delivered.

There is the problem for such a huge expense we should have achieved more, I acknowledge some of the expenditure has been on off the field such as the ground , training ground etc. I would be interested to know if the Lansdowns feel they’ve been successful? 

8 minutes ago, daored said:

I would be interested to know if the Lansdowns feel they’ve been successful? 

Doubt it. SL sounds like he has lost his mojo, and Jon has never really been interested has he? 

OK - so whats the number that makes them sell the holdings company? Valuation anyone?

4 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Doubt it. SL sounds like he has lost his mojo, and Jon has never really been interested has he? 

OK - so whats the number that makes them sell the holdings company? Valuation anyone?

No doubt SL has lost his mojo but after 25 years and x millions of pounds will they look at the ground, training centre , Bristol Sport etc and see that as success or a failure as we’ve only ever come close once to making the PL

5 minutes ago, daored said:

No doubt SL has lost his mojo but after 25 years and x millions of pounds will they look at the ground, training centre , Bristol Sport etc and see that as success or a failure as we’ve only ever come close once to making the PL

I suspect a feeling of pride on whats happened to the Bears and the infrastructure at both football and rugby, but with a sense of failure over City.

BTW Bristol sport, rugby and the flyers are not the same entity as AG or City. SL can keep the Bears, the flyers, Bristol sport if he wants to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I suspect a feeling of pride on whats happened to the Bears and the infrastructure at both football and rugby, but with a sense of failure over City.

BTW Bristol sport, rugby and the flyers are not the same entity as AG or City. SL can keep the Bears, the flyers, Bristol sport if he wants to.

Final paragraph above is exactly why some of us call the situation a mess.

If BS was ever going to be a success it needed the football club firmly established at top end of Premier League.   

2 hours ago, daored said:

Funny isn't it, you look at the headline figure of £170m spent in a single decade, the stadium redevelopment and the HPC, and you assume that all along the aim must have been to reach the Premier League.

Then you consider we settled for Academy Cat 2 status, when we could have gone for Cat 1 (outside of FFP spending too), and look at the managerial appointments - particularly Millen and Holden, and we can argue about a few of the others - the lack of any football direction off-field, and the self-sabotage of the summer transfer window of 2015, and think, was the aim really & truly to reach the Premier League? 

I have never been convinced it was, and still am not. If it had have happened then I think it would have been more by luck (2008) than design.

It will be very interesting to see, when all is said and done and the Lansdown's depart, how much of a "loss" they really will have made on the club (including the real estate), if any. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 2