IGNORED

The case for Conway to start

old_eastender

Conway took his opportunity well last night with his high mobility leading to 2 neatly taken goals. The general consensus is that Martin will be recalled to start Saturday, and it's hard to imagine NP will not do that.

People point to our goals scored record and say that it's the defence which is our problem. However, there is not a truer adage that the saying that defending starts from the front. With Martin in the side, despite the valiant efforts of Weimann, backed up by Scott & Massengo, our ability to play a high press is severely compromised as Martin simply does not have the pace/legs to join in. Hence the opposition tend to have an easy out ball to whatever defender Martin is nearest.

Contrast that with what Sunderland did to us with 2 mobile front men, backed up by an energetic midfield. Until they sat back at 2-3, our defenders were not afforded the opportunity to carry the ball out unchallenged.  Their first goal, although a poor mistake by us, showed what can happen when you deploy a high press, our 3rd goal last night was another example after Wells gets a toe-in pressing their defender.

It's not like Martin is winning many hurried clearances in the air and holding the ball or heading it on to a teammate either. He does contribute well to defending set-pieces, but with 3 centre backs in the side we should not be reliant on our centre forward for this. 

Conway's finishing looks better that Martin's too. Arguably Martin should have put the chance away that was cleared off the line 1st half v Sunderland and he missed a sitter from a couple of yards out at 2-3, although he did just manage to bundle in our 2nd.

If Martin does start, then at least we ought to be looking at replacing him after an hour, to give fresh impetus using Conway or Wells, I really don't get the point of asking him to do 90+ minutes all the time.

• Like 9
  • Hmmm 1

9 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Conway took his opportunity well last night with his high mobility leading to 2 neatly taken goals. The general consensus is that Martin will be recalled to start Saturday, and it's hard to imagine NP will not do that.

People point to our goals scored record and say that it's the defence which is our problem. However, there is not a truer adage that the saying that defending starts from the front. With Martin in the side, despite the valiant efforts of Weimann, backed up by Scott & Massengo, our ability to play a high press is severely compromised as Martin simply does not have the pace/legs to join in. Hence the opposition tend to have an easy out ball to whatever defender Martin is nearest.

Contrast that with what Sunderland did to us with 2 mobile front men, backed up by an energetic midfield. Until they sat back at 2-3, our defenders were not afforded the opportunity to carry the ball out unchallenged.  Their first goal, although a poor mistake by us, showed what can happen when you deploy a high press, our 3rd goal last night was another example after Wells gets a toe-in pressing their defender.

It's not like Martin is winning many hurried clearances in the air and holding the ball or heading it on to a teammate either. He does contribute well to defending set-pieces, but with 3 centre backs in the side we should not be reliant on our centre forward for this. 

Conway's finishing looks better that Martin's too. Arguably Martin should have put the chance away that was cleared off the line 1st half v Sunderland and he missed a sitter from a couple of yards out at 2-3, although he did just manage to bundle in our 2nd.

If Martin does start, then at least we ought to be looking at replacing him after an hour, to give fresh impetus using Conway or Wells, I really don't get the point of asking him to do 90+ minutes all the time.

?

Chris Martin is needed on the pitch as we have no other forward like him, changing him for Conway, Wells, Sam Bell or any other striker currently on the books automatically changes how we have to play and weakens an already leaky defense at set pieces. Its why its not going to happen.

I do agree that Conway looks sharp, but no manager is going to not play Martin or Weimann if they are fit, so its a case of fitting other around them, not replacing them.

If the club can generate cash and we brought new players, it may change that dynamic.

• Like 1

Conway links up well with Wells, 4 goals for Conway, 4 assists for Wells when played together. Even Wiemann worked well in behind them. 

I think there is no reason to change that set up for Saturday.

NP always said he would play the team based on performance, last nights performance proved it was a front three worth sticking with. Whether he could leave Martin out the starting 11 however is another thing altogether. 

Conway will get plenty of game time this season as he can cover for a couple of positions. First choice for the 3 attacking positions will be 

Semenyo, Martin, Weimann

Scott will cover for any of those when they aren’t playing (Semenyo to move into middle if Martin out) and he will also get games in midfield

If any more than one player from those 3 is injured/rested then Conway comes in and he is versatile too.  I would expect Conway to start 10-15 league matches this season and feature in 30+.  I am sure if he was offered that now he’d bite your hand off!

However, there is no need to start him on Saturday. Martin is better than some see.  Pearson knows what he is doing when it comes to the top of the pitch.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, robin for life said:

Conway links up well with Wells, 4 goals for Conway, 4 assists for Wells when played together. Even Wiemann worked well in behind them. 

I think there is no reason to change that set up for Saturday.

NP always said he would play the team based on performance, last nights performance proved it was a front three worth sticking with. Whether he could leave Martin out the starting 11 however is another thing altogether. 

Coventry were awful last night.  Martin, Weimann and Scott would have had a field day as well. Zero point in disrupting what is working in the league against better opposition than last night. Coventry defending was under 23s level 

For me, it is less about individuals and more about combinations and how they work together.

When Semenyo is fit, Martin is an absolute must on the team sheet. Those two complement each other and, with Weimann behind, we had the most potent attack in the division outside of the promotion places.

However I am not sure we have found a way to get the best of Martin without Semenyo. I am still interested in seeing Weimann and Martin with Sykes behind and that could be effective but the evidence right now is Wells and Conway can combine effectively and there is certainly an argument for them both to keep their places.

• Hmmm 1

19 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Coventry were awful last night.  Martin, Weimann and Scott would have had a field day as well. Zero point in disrupting what is working in the league against better opposition than last night. Coventry defending was under 23s level 

TBH I don’t like Scott in the front 3, he’s more to offer  in CM.  I’d like to see Conway given a couple of starts.  You also got to remember Scott knows Conway. 

• Like 2

When Conway came on v Sunderland he was unceremoniously flattened by one or more of their back 3 on at least 2 occasions, looking hopefully at the ref.  That didn't happen to Martin did it?  No one of our forwards is able to take the heat like he can.  He wins the ball in the air and holds it up. Scores goals on a regular, if not prolific basis. Yes he isn't the quickest but he's not in the team for that.  Coventry looked shambolic last night according to those who were at the game.  Taking advantage of that does not earn a place for the league.  Tommy Conway is being slowly introduced to the team, getting minutes and starts.  He will probably start the Wycombe game and maybe have a couple of sub appearances in between.  That is where he is and what he needs.   I suspect Martin is being treated in a similar way to Williams and may step back for the midweek games so he has adequate rest.

• Like 12

20 minutes ago, TBW said:

Just saying, let's not get carried away on one game. 

Conway has played enough times (and 3x as many mins for City than Janneh) to give a view / opinion that he is better than Saikou.  Add to that his u23 stuff, I see a player far more rounded than Saikou and with better current ability and future ceiling higher too.

But it is only an opinion, but he’s played enough now to form that view.

Im not saying he should start though.  But I’d have no qualms if he did.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Thank goodness for that, another post slagging off Martin.

The bloke who scored in his last start, had another kicked off the line & got 12 goals & 7 assists last season as part of by far the most effective part of our side.

It is excellent for us that Conway is off the mark this season but it was virtually a second string Coventry side last night (8 changes).

Last season Saikou Janneh got 2 at the same stage, & whilst FGR probably aren’t the same standard as a weakened Coventry side, there isn’t a world of difference.

Martin cannot play every game, last night’s break will do him, Conway & the team all some good.

It’s not a case of @old_eastender slagging of Martin. He’s expressing an opinion that Conway is a better option than Martin. This is what the forum should be all about - people giving different opinions. You do tend to come across as Mr Grumpy at times. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

You mean "he scored"? 

The television replay showed that it was probably an own goal, though Martin could get an assist by bundling into the defender and putting him under pressure 

3 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

I'm happy that we have a slew of forwards who can scorr. Refreshing change. 

I'm sure come next season he will be first choice, if progression continues and succession happens

Not sure what the Martin hates all about, ditto Massengo tbh it's a bit weird 

With Massengo, I’ve said before that if he was from the academy fans would adore him. Because we signed him some expect a lot more than they would. I say that players should be judged on their performances and not how they got to the club.  With Martin, people focus on what he cannot do rather than what he can do. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

The television replay showed that it was probably an own goal, though Martin could get an assist by bundling into the defender and putting him under pressure 

He got the final touch, clipped his trailing leg.  You could argue Weimann ought not to get the assist, but Shhhhh, don’t tell anyone.

Worth reminding at this point, that AW - CM - AS scored 42 goals in the championship last season. CM got 12 of them, with 6 assists. I continually hear people saying he is slow, or this or that. Ask the Derby supporters what they thought about him when he left. I know he is not particularly elegant, but for me you have to start him. I also think AS improved alongside him last season and i give CM (and AW) crddit for this. Conway is perfect for a final 20 minute cameo, and if he needs to start then i have no issue. 

Edited by TonyTonyTony
  • Like 4

When Semenyo is fit and playing Martin becomes more effective. This is because AS has pace and power to frighten defences so they will focus on him. This creates more space for AW and CM so that Martin's more limited mobility becomes less of an issue.

Conway needs to take his opportunities (as he did last night) in order to give Pearson a selection headache.

I can see Conway being more potent in front of goal, while Martin is the more effective player along with his attacking partners. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

What is working, we've lost 2 from 2, I dread to think what not working would be like!

57 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

It’s not a case of @old_eastender slagging of Martin. He’s expressing an opinion that Conway is a better option than Martin. This is what the forum should be all about - people giving different opinions. You do tend to come across as Mr Grumpy at times. 

Old Eastender has  some sort of problem when it comes to Martin. That's why I always respond with a laughter emoji. You only have to follow match day threads to see he's obsessed with getting Martin substituted from about the 20th minute. His opinion is far from objective. I wonder what Chris Martin has done to him in the past?

• Like 1

I don’t think that it necessarily follows that to start Conway you have to drop Martin. I think they could play together and I would like to see this tried. In effect play Conway in Semenyo’s position with Weimann reverting to the role he played last season. A potent front 3. Martin also brings a lot to the table at defensive set pieces of course.