IGNORED

The case for Conway to start

old_eastender

Martin isn’t for me. He has been decent the first half of both league games but ineffective in the second half. Not sure if it is fatigue or teams come out more aggressive but his play gets worse in the second half. 

Last night showed what a bit of pace and movement can provide. Not only did the defenders have to track runners but they had less time on the ball with 3 nippy forwards buzzing around while they were in possession. I know it was very much a young and second string coventry side but I believe that the pace and energy gives opposition more decisions to make and the need to make those decisions quicker. It will lead to more mistakes in the opposition third. 

I think Martin would be an unbelievable sub late in games with Wells. Maybe that is the plan when Semenyo returns. I have no qualms with CM but I just don’t believe he a starting player for any half decent championship sides anymore. You can state the goals last season but we were a bad side and basically threw away any balance because we needed to outscore teams as we could not keep them out. Also, thought CM looked fresher after those few games he did not start midway through the season. 

I think it should maybe be his job until Semenyo returns but I would like to see Conway and Wells much earlier than they have been coming on. They have a good understanding of each other and it would be daft not to utilise that more than we do. 

I look at the young players in our Squad, and think, ' I just hope we can keep hold of many of them and keep blooding and fast tracking them'.

I'd be more than happy to see the likes of Conway and Bell get more playing time this season over Wells and Martin.

The thought of those two, their understanding of one another's games up front, combined with Weimann, Semenyo, Scott and eventually Benorous is exciting imo. 

Others like Pring, HNM, Williams, Tanner, Wilson, Atkinson, Towler...all still well under 24...And all have a high ceiling of potential under the right coaching and game time.

If only we weren't a selling club and eventually having to sell our biggest diamonds.

I'd love the prospect of all of them playing together in this league in the next couple seasons. 

The potential is there imo...to become a dynamic, skillful, energetic high pressing side.

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

The television replay showed that it was probably an own goal, though Martin could get an assist by bundling into the defender and putting him under pressure 

Martin caused the goal whether it hit him last.  If he'd not been there the ball would've been cleared. His goal with Weimann's assist

ChrisMartin is a good player. So are Wells Conway and Weimann. Sometimes you have to mix it up a little and we have the ability to do that particularly withSemenyo coming back. 

IMO Wells and Conway look like a partnership and Wells looks like he enjoys it! Who starts is up to the manager but two goals for the kid and another for Weimann is encouraging. However don’t rule out a bid for Weimann in the next week or two. 

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

ChrisMartin is a good player. So are Wells Conway and Weimann. Sometimes you have to mix it up a little and we have the ability to do that particularly withSemenyo coming back. 

IMO Wells and Conway look like a partnership and Wells looks like he enjoys it! Who starts is up to the manager but two goals for the kid and another for Weimann is encouraging. However don’t rule out a bid for Weimann in the next week or two. 

Unless a Premier League team came in - and I'm not sure they would - I think Weimann would think long and hard about moving elsewhere. He's lived in England since he was sixteen so presumably settled here and is playing at a team that are letting him play his best football. He's not someone who has moved around a great deal, doesn't have the carrot of a world cup to encourage a move and - whilst he might get a bit more money elsewhere - I'm not sure that would necessarily be enough to tempt him to move. I might be proven wrong but I'm pretty confident he will be with us come the end of August, even if bids do come in. 

2 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Old Eastender has  some sort of problem when it comes to Martin. That's why I always respond with a laughter emoji. You only have to follow match day threads to see he's obsessed with getting Martin substituted from about the 20th minute. His opinion is far from objective. I wonder what Chris Martin has done to him in the past?

It’s a Coldplay thing ?

2 hours ago, Northern Red said:

What do you think isn't working from an attacking point of view?

I think last season Semenyo, Martin and Wiemann worked well.  But there is no Semenyo at present. I think Andi showed that either in the top two, or in behind he is versatile, so you have to find the best pairing up front to work with Andi.

I would say based on a friendly and last night, Wells and Conway with 4 goals and 4 assists, is more productive than Martin & Sykes, or Martin and Scott. So until Semenyo is back to fill in the missing piece of the puzzle that worked well last season that our best option is Wiemann, Wells & Conway.