IGNORED

Wigan Athletic away match day thread

1st half summary - good start, even middle, under a bit of pressure then better again.

Of note, can't press too high, get picked off and stretches the game, not good in heat.  When we drop the press to 40 yards from their goal, they are pretty clueless.

Conway / Weimann has run them ragged.

Scott not been able to get on the ball, caught halfway between press / Dasilva and Lang's movement.  Better when we deepened the press.

Vyner has covered around Naismith 4 times, well done, Atkinson once.

Sykes doing well up against McLean.

Conway - not a pen for me on the first one, but Whatmough has cleaned him out for the shot...shouldve been a penalty...perhaps Conway should invite the foul?

Trying to keep the ball, bit eager sometimes to clip channel.

Pretty much a game played down our right...is that where the shade is?

Bennett...obvious red card.  Pisses me off.  Bottled it.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

1st half summary - good start, even middle, under a bit of pressure then better again.

Of note, can't press too high, get picked off and stretches the game, not good in heat.  When we drop the press to 40 yards from their goal, they are pretty clueless.

Conway / Weimann has run them ragged.

Scott not been able to get on the ball, caught halfway between press / Dasilva and Lang's movement.  Better when we deepened the press.

Vyner has covered around Naismith 4 times, well done, Atkinson once.

Sykes doing well up against McLean.

Conway - not a pen for me on the first one, but Whatmough has cleaned him out for the shot...shouldve been a penalty...perhaps Conway should invite the foul?

Trying to keep the ball, bit eager sometimes to clip channel.

Pretty much a game played down our right...is that where the shade is?

Bennett...obvious red card.  Pisses me off.  Bottled it.

Yes all the shade down that side.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

It's the Championship, even the top teams don't dominate the whole game. 

Don't understand where this doom and gloom from having another team attack us comes from, really strange to me.

Yeah but no one can deny we have a problem with fading in games. There's supporting and there's being realistic. We need to to improve.

• Like 1
Just now, AppyDAZE said:

Yeah but no one can deny we have a problem with fading in games. There's supporting and there's being realistic. We need to to improve.

I expect most teams do in this heat, and especially with our squad depth it is going to happen.

If we had the squad depth of a Fulham last year or of a Burnley/Norwich this time around I'd say fine, but we've got an average/decent team that some are still learning this level.

I'd rather have our only problems fading later in games instead of robbing results each week like we did under LJ/Holden with 3 shots a game. 

At least now we look dangerous and actually create chances and score some bloody lovely goals too! Only way they will improve is by playing more games together. 

Don't understand the whole rush, let's get behind this team as they gel together and hopefully grind out some results that we actually do deserve.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Yeah I think both are true. 

That is how the majority of championship games go but we've thrown away so many leads the last year or so it's easy to see why people get concerned about it. 

Last season we were at the top of most goals to take the lead in games with something like 32. Impressive that we've already done that in every game this season. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

I expect most teams do in this heat, and especially with our squad depth it is going to happen.

If we had the squad depth of a Fulham last year or of a Burnley/Norwich this time around I'd say fine, but we've got an average/decent team that some are still learning this level.

I'd rather have our only problems fading later in games instead of robbing results each week like we did under LJ/Holden with 3 shots a game. 

At least now we look dangerous and actually create chances and score some bloody lovely goals too! Only way they will improve is by playing more games together. 

Don't understand the whole rush, let's get behind this team as they gel together and hopefully grind out some results that we actually do deserve.

We're not taking about in this heat, this has been going on for years.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, collier said:

Guess peoples definition of a sitter can be different. It doesn't have to be an open goal for it to be classed as an easy chance imo. Any striker should be dissapointed to miss the target from there.

Agree it was a good chance. High probability of scoring. He also did brilliantly with his first touch to give himself that chance.

But for me the pressure from the defender, the pace he was going at, and the position of the goalie all move it away from being a 'sitter' and more towards just being a good chance.