IGNORED

Wigan Athletic away match day thread

A very hard earnt point, think we would have lost that late on last season.

Concerning that we created so few clear cut chances. Thought Sykes had a good game, Conway did well (although he will have nightmares about the chance he headed wide), Atkinson was solid until he got injured. 

Bentley's kicking put us under pressure, a few times, actually think it led to RA getting injured as he was forced into a block which resulted from DB kicking to one of their players.

1 minute ago, gl2 said:

In bottom 3 with good company, Boro and Norwich, this table is upside down

Coventry, Luton and West Brom making up the rest of the bottom 6.

Tough game in that heat. Some concerns, but some plus points too.

Conway worked hard and looked good. (Shame about the header.)

Back 3 a little better.

Only conceded one.

Weimann now 4 in 4.

Errrr any more…?

4 minutes ago, westonred said:

To many players off their game today Martin JD and Scott all very poor

Vyner MOM for me followed by Sykes

Are you allowed to say that?

There will have been some on here trawling through every frame for their goal, desperate to find him at fault.

Anyway, we’re off the mark, have avoided the late goal jitters & Andi Weimann is truly remarkable.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Lordofthebling said:

It is just worrying where we are at as a football club right now. Really concerning.

I could sit here and say we shouldve had a pen, and they shouldve Bern down to 10 men, but we have to manage our game

yes it was hot, but Wigan managed to keep the press going and win those second balls, we wilted literally after the first drinks break. 

What really worries me is that this us traditionally when we get our points on the board.

Too much dead wood still in that squad that have not been good enough for years.

Ah well a point on the board, 39 to go...

With our track record against 10 men it could've been even worse.

1 minute ago, Jerseybean said:

A very hard earnt point, think we would have lost that late on last season.

Concerning that we created so few clear cut chances. Thought Sykes had a good game, Conway did well (although he will have nightmares about the chance he headed wide), Atkinson was solid until he got injured. 

Bentley's kicking put us under pressure, a few times, actually think it led to RA getting injured as he was forced into a block which resulted from DB kicking to one of their players.

You are correct, that was 2nd time a poor clearance from him out us on the back foot.

All our away games were like this under Johnson and Holden without the goals we are scoring each game and barely anyone would say a thing, we have a similar performance under Pearson with this team and it's the end of the world. 

Thought Sykes, Weimann, Atkinson, Conway and Williams were good value today.

Hope Atkinson is okay after that injury. All went wobbly after he came off. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Mihai said:

Bad looking.  The bookmakers were right. Only 4 teams had a better change of relegation than our side if you would place a bet 3 weeks ago. It is seems we will fight for that.  I have faith that we will remain in Championship. It will not be easy but we can do it.

Norwich are bottom of the league  did the bookmakers forecast that? This club really has the worst most negative pessimistic  fans in the country or anywhere else for that matter.

• Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1
1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

Wtf are you on about

A point away is no disaster

Read back the thread - The whining about absolutely anything and everything that flow when we concede is overwhelming

It’s like you and certain people want to divide city supporters,midweek in a cup game there were comments saying where are the moaners who want city to lose now,your section and the continuing moaners are both pathetic,just grow the f up

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, petehinton said:

A competent referee and we win that, no question. 

Defensively still an issue, but we’ve gone ahead in every single game this season. I’ll be actually worried once/if that stops. 

If all else fails, blame the ref.

Sorry, I blame the players/coaches - the apparent lack of fitness, mental as well as physical, and the lack of passion.  True there are players who would not be solid first teamers for other sides in the division, and true too that some lack technical ability and correct decision making at this level - but fitness and passion should be givens, taking into account their enormous salaries.

• Hmmm 1

Maybe it’s the heat but everything seems to ponderous at times, Nige says we’re not a possession team but we predictably keep it by going backward then lose it stupidly trying to play forward.  I think we are so much better getting the ball and moving it at speed.

Not convinced with the zonal defence we seem to be playing it looks really shakey.

That said getting Semenyo back will make a difference, and I reckon take the pressure off the defence.

Up and running now, 3 points on Tues and we’ll be away

Just now, ORANGE500 said:

Norwich are bottom of the league  did the bookmakers forecast that? This club really has the worst most negative pessimistic  fans in the country or anywhere else for that matter.

I hear what you are saying mate but are you not concerned at the general trend of our performances under Pearson? It’s the same outcome week in week out and these are performances against teams newly promoted.

Fair play for the positivity from certain people but christ that performance was dire. 

1 minute ago, bris red said:

Im genuinely not a doom and gloom merchant in the slightest and really really want/wanted Pearson to work but on that showing we are in for a relegation battle - I can’t see anything other than that to be honest.

A lot will depend on whether we get Semenyo back in the same form he showed last season. If we do then think we should alright. As others have said been leading in all 3 league games so far, so we are not that far off.

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Jeez said:

I really wouldn’t blame Weiman either, especially as he took a pay cut too

I wouldn’t either. I’d hate to see Weimann leave but if i was in his shoes id be onto my agent for a move.. with the goals he has been scoring he could probably get one last big pay day over 3 years at this level or in a topflight league on the continent IMO.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1