IGNORED

Wigan Athletic away match day thread

4 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

Norwich are bottom of the league  did the bookmakers forecast that? This club really has the worst most negative pessimistic  fans in the country or anywhere else for that matter.

Mate, we have taken decades of false hope to earn that title at least the Canaries have seen the Prem !!!

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Bentley's kicking put us under pressure, a few times, actually think it led to RA getting injured as he was forced into a block which resulted from DB kicking to one of their players.

Yep. And whip a cross and he'll stay rooted to his line. It's not like we've only just found this out though ...

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Are you allowed to say that?

There will have been some on here trawling through every frame for their goal, desperate to find him at fault.

Anyway, we’re off the mark, have avoided the late goal jitters & Andi Weimann is truly remarkable.

I’m not Vyner’s biggest fan at all, but he was tidy today.

If blame is to attached to their goal, I’d be looking at Bentley coming out and getting nowhere near the ball, then causing the mess in the 6yd box.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I suppose a game against Wigan is rarely a classic especially on a hot day but that was pretty dire. Some positives to take are a point(!!), Weimann, Atkinson and Sykes… Conway was also encouraging. So close to scoring. And nobody gave away a daft goal. Not much we could do about their goal, it was a great ball in and it caused chaos. Negatives are we are absolutely shocking at retaining the ball, so sloppy in possession it’s getting annoying. No urgency, no press and we haven’t really improved a lot. It was hot but we desperately need to improve. For gods sake stop soiling your pants like we’re playing Real Madrid. Put your foot on the ball and calm down… that seemed to be the half time message but it lasted about 10 minutes. ?‍♂️

Edited by Dodgy_Giefer
6 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

If all else fails, blame the ref.

Sorry, I blame the players/coaches - the apparent lack of fitness, mental as well as physical, and the lack of passion.  True there are players who would not be solid first teamers for other sides in the division, and true too that some lack technical ability and correct decision making at this level - but fitness and passion should be givens, taking into account their enormous salaries.

It’s not lack of fitness though, it’s not keeping possession of the ball long enough that forces us to a lot more defensive running than the opposition. Anyone who has actually played the game will tell you that is a killer. We lack any quality in the middle of the park. Happy with a point today tbh but we have to get a couple more in before the window shuts. Games are far harder for us than they need to be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

Norwich are bottom of the league  did the bookmakers forecast that? This club really has the worst most negative pessimistic  fans in the country or anywhere else for that matter.

Sweeping statement that. Huddersfield fans booed first half of championship season , we have struggled at times very badly last two seasons. It will obviously create a negative atmosphere if we start the third season in a simillar vein.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

18 passes, 12 of which were accurate.

Is that based on fact or your guess, perhaps put up the pass map as happy to be proved wrong, but any passes he did make would gave been easy layoffs sideways or backwards.

JD had one of the worse games I have seen him play, absolutely zero impact on the game going forward or defensively, total passenger

1 minute ago, bexhill reds said:

I’m not Vyner’s biggest fan at all, but he was tidy today.

If blame is to attached to their goal, I’d be looking at Bentley coming out and getting nowhere near the ball, then causing the mess in the 6yd box.

If I’m honest I’m surprised that he’s starting, as unless Klose is struggling with a knock or something, I’d pick him every time.

However your post is fair, but there are plenty on here just waiting to pile in to him & Martin.

Zak made a horrendous mistake last week, but Naismith was no better. It is the relentless singling out of certain individuals that hacks me off.

• Like 3

Glad to get a point away from home and Weimann’s form is a big plus. I didn’t watch the game but based on the comments on this thread the performance was worrying. Getting a win against Luton would really help to boost confidence…..but at the moment we are finding points hard to come by. 

11 minutes ago, bris red said:

I wouldn’t either. I’d hate to see Weimann leave but if i was in his shoes id be onto my agent for a move.. with the goals he has been scoring he could probably get one last big pay day over 3 years at this level or in a topflight league on the continent IMO.

Was having this exact conversation earlier. Question is how much could we get for him 4 or 5m?

Just now, pl00peh91 said:

Anyone else think that Joe Williams hasn’t looked particularly great this season? He seemed to give the ball away cheaply a number of times and isn’t able to dictate play like I hoped he would at full fitness. Need to see more from him in my opinion.

Certainly wasn't impressive against Sunderland. Looked a shadow of the player he'd been before his injury.

Somewhat ironic that the worst performance so far brings our first point. I will give the players some leeway because it was bloody hot, but the inability to keep the ball is what leads to us running out of steam and inevitably trying to hang on.

Having just seen the would-be red card again I can't for the life of me see how he's not sent him off. Though he could have run up and punched him without provocation and you'd still get contrarians on here saying a yellow was correct. The penalty shout falls into "seen them given" (not for us, obviously) but I can understand with it wasn't.

• Like 2
Just now, pl00peh91 said:

Anyone else think that Joe Williams hasn’t looked particularly great this season? He seemed to give the ball away cheaply a number of times and isn’t able to dictate play like I hoped he would at full fitness. Need to see more from him in my opinion.

Know what you mean but maybe his midfield partner being different each game has affected him. I am glad hes been able to play the minutes he has in all honesty.

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

It’s not lack of fitness though, it’s not keeping possession of the ball long enough that forces us to a lot more defensive running than the opposition. Anyone who has actually played the game will tell you that is a killer. We lack any quality in the middle of the park. Happy with a point today tbh but we have to get a couple more in before the window shuts. Games are far harder for us than they need to be.

I can only comment on the basis of Robins TV pictures, but at times we don’t look for the easy forward pass, the ending up turning backward and playing back to defenders or play a risky forward ball that invariably gets intercepted, The number of times the ball could have been given to Sykes wide, but then we turn in and go back, ending up trying to stick it on Martin’s head. In Conway, Wells, Wiemann and Sykes we’ve got the pace to frighten teams, yet fail to make the best use of that.

Just seen the goal and **** me that was really poor by Bentley. Totally missed a routine punch. You can bang in about tactics and lack of quality all day long but when your keeper ***** you up like that you concede, end of. Klose first game, Naismith second and now Bentley. Basic mistakes by SENIOR players are killing us.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, bexhill reds said:

I can only comment on the basis of Robins TV pictures, but at times we don’t look for the easy forward pass, the ending up turning backward and playing back to defenders or play a risky forward ball that invariably gets intercepted, The number of times the ball could have been given to Sykes wide, but then we turn in and go back, ending up trying to stick it on Martin’s head. In Conway, Wells, Wiemann and Sykes we’ve got the pace to frighten teams, yet fail to make the best use of that.

Yep, it’s decision making not poor fitness. We probably run around a lot more than the other side because our decision making in possession is shite.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1