IGNORED

Wigan Athletic away match day thread

2 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Know what you mean but maybe his midfield partner being different each game has affected him. I am glad hes been able to play the minutes he has in all honesty.

4 minutes ago, pl00peh91 said:

Anyone else think that Joe Williams hasn’t looked particularly great this season? He seemed to give the ball away cheaply a number of times and isn’t able to dictate play like I hoped he would at full fitness. Need to see more from him in my opinion.

It might be a combination of how he is being asked to play, together with the fact that he’s not had a stable midfield partner(s). More often than not we’re over-run in midfield at times though lack of numbers.

26 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

Norwich are bottom of the league  did the bookmakers forecast that? This club really has the worst most negative pessimistic  fans in the country or anywhere else for that matter.

Not really true for the majority I believe ,  but the bed wetters on here are the worst I have ever come across , have a quick look most games read the same shit and call it a day , the amount some people post on here means they have not got much else I realise but everything is worst ever players , worst ever performances and worst ever manager , they need to get a life ffs 

• Like 6

Positives from Sykes, Vyner, Atkinson and Conway (even great strikers miss sitters, getting there is a good sign). 

Not too worried by the performance when they had the ball, but thought we were generally poor with the ball, plus not picking up 2nd balls. We generally seemed to be either too far away from each other or too clustered together. And weather notwithstanding, we moved the ball so slowly it made it easy for Wigan to press. 

We’re giving up leads due to not pressing our advantage home when we’re ahead/on top. But we’re not getting thrashed, which is something. If we’re not at the point of being comfortable with 4 at the back, think I’d consider moving to 3 in midfield, as even with his energy Andi can be a long way from the ball when we win it in defence. I like Martin a lot, but for the team, maybe Andi/Tommy up top with an extra midfielder would help us transition more effectively? Cam Pring must be close as well. Not all doom and gloom for me, but plenty to work on. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, ORANGE500 said:

Norwich are bottom of the league  did the bookmakers forecast that? This club really has the worst most negative pessimistic  fans in the country or anywhere else for that matter.

You don't have to be so acid you know ? I am optimistic to stay in the league. The thing with "3 years till Premier League" is just a donut sold by SL. 

We will get there in time but now we are just a small team in Championship. You can blame FFP for that but being realistic doesn't make me pesimistic. I have faith, and we will stay in this league, but trust me... it won't be a less stresfull season that last ones. 

48 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

It might be a combination of how he is being asked to play, together with the fact that he’s not had a stable midfield partner(s). More often than not we’re over-run in midfield at times though lack of numbers.

Or he's simply not playing well.  He's a CM playing in CM.    

54 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Or he's simply not playing well.  He's a CM playing in CM.    

Not as simple as that, he’s had a preseason of playing alongside James, so they can build some understanding of each other’s positioning without having to think about it, then he’s got Massengo alongside him who is a totally different type of player who occasionally goes missing out of position, then today he’s alongside Scott who last year was in a completely different position and had very little preseason. Midfield partnerships especially in the way we set up are important.

12 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I'm hopeful that both will play as well.

Would make sense to rotate the starting 11…..our biggest challenge will be midfield if Williams doesn’t play consecutive games on the basis that MJ is still out and HNM must be a doubt, having missed out today

May be a case of “needs must” on Tuesday for Williams

Just got back from Wigan and another frustrating afternoon watching City. For the first 20 minutes we were brilliant, playing fast flowing football on the deck that ran Wigan ragged. We scored a good goal (Weimann 4 in 4), may have won a soft penalty and should certainly have seen Wigan down to 10 men. The refs decision was bizarre. If he didn't see it then it was nothing, if he did it was a stonewall red. What it wasn't was a yellow which is what he gave. We created other good situations withou testing the keeper. 

But after 20 minutes we stopped playing and handed the initiative back to Wigan,merely lumping the ball towards Martin who hardly won an aerial ball all game. But then that's not his strength as he wants the ball to feet to layoff. Apart from one header 2nd half when Conway should have scored we weren't in it and the inevitable equaliser, albeit a scrappy goal, came. Must do better. 

• Like 5

Wigan used the ball very well in the second quarter. Made us run around a lot in the heat,I think it took our legs. 
they played the CC on Tuesday so extra day’s rest. 
someone said none of their starting XI played Tuesday, so they were fresher in the heat. Doesn’t explain why we fade second half in other games, but may explain today. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

It’s only 3 games but to have 1 point from Hull, Sunderland and Wigan is a bit disappointing.

More than a bit disappointing for me. Inwould expect to win one of these games and based on our leads, we had a real opportunity to do so.

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

To me it looks like Bentley has to take some of the blame for the scramble. We didn’t react very well though mind…

It’s only 3 games but to have 1 point from Hull, Sunderland and Wigan is a bit disappointing.

Hull are top as they got lucky against us and Sunderland also got the points as well as expensive present of mistakes from us; conclusion we are not far off and have decent company in the bottom 3; on to Luton, bit of a bogey team for us but we really should fear no-one

7 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Actually think we're well solid today 

Wigan have rarely troubled tbh. 

Agreed with the sentiment though 

The goal they scored actually came from us being pinned back and when Bentley got the ball it was played long because none of our players were moving up at all, like they were literally walking. The ball went long, Wigan came back at us because we hadn't pushed out which put more pressure on us again and led to them having multiple attempts to score in the next phase of which they scored on their third attempt in that next phase. Had we pushed out before the long ball rather than been next to static they wouldn't have been able to push down the pitch so quickly and sustain the pressure. 

It's not the first time this has happened. You can't play 3-5-2 and sit deep expecting your forwards to win long balls and hold the ball long enough for two thirds of the team to progress over a third of the pitch. 

We actually defend pretty well, I know that sounds ludicrous but other than Vyners getting on the wrong side of his striker a lot we do defend well. The issue is that we defend too much in our own final third and that's because we don't hold possession as we push out of defence which means we get pushed back for long periods of time and can't sustain the pressure. 

If we don't get a 3 goal lead we just sit deep and hope to counter, the issue being that when we do counter we counter with a long ball or the counter slows down too quickly. Then we either lose the ball or just pass around until it goes back to the defenders and then when they're pressured back to the keeper. 

We desperately need that link player between the defence and the attack, at the moment Williams doesn't do it and we need someone who can receive the ball,  turn and play it forward,  Williams just doesn't do that and the team doesn't push up to support the forwards when we play the long ball. 

If we continue as we are we will continue to struggle because we're inviting too much pressure onto ourselves each game and no matter how well we defend the more chances we give away from being able to push out of our defence the more likely we are to concede. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 2
45 minutes ago, Spike said:

The goal they scored actually came from us being pinned back and when Bentley got the ball it was played long because none of our players were moving up at all, like they were literally walking. The ball went long, Wigan came back at us because we hadn't pushed out which put more pressure on us again and led to them having multiple attempts to score in the next phase of which they scored on their third attempt in that next phase. Had we pushed out before the long ball rather than been next to static they wouldn't have been able to push down the pitch so quickly and sustain the pressure. 

It's not the first time this has happened. You can't play 3-5-2 and sit deep expecting your forwards to win long balls and hold the ball long enough for two thirds of the team to progress over a third of the pitch. 

We actually defend pretty well, I know that sounds ludicrous but other than Vyners getting on the wrong side of his striker a lot we do defend well. The issue is that we defend too much in our own final third and that's because we don't hold possession as we push out of defence which means we get pushed back for long periods of time and can't sustain the pressure. 

If we don't get a 3 goal lead we just sit deep and hope to counter, the issue being that when we do counter we counter with a long ball or the counter slows down too quickly. Then we either lose the ball or just pass around until it goes back to the defenders and then when they're pressured back to the keeper. 

We desperately need that link player between the defence and the attack, at the moment Williams doesn't do it and we need someone who can receive the ball,  turn and play it forward,  Williams just doesn't do that and the team doesn't push up to support the forwards when we play the long ball. 

If we continue as we are we will continue to struggle because we're inviting too much pressure onto ourselves each game and no matter how well we defend the more chances we give away from being able to push out of our defence the more likely we are to concede. 

Great post Spike.

13 hours ago, bexhill reds said:

I’m not Vyner’s biggest fan at all, but he was tidy today.

If blame is to attached to their goal, I’d be looking at Bentley coming out and getting nowhere near the ball, then causing the mess in the 6yd box.

Bentley been poor as far this season imo.

Edited by Son of Fred
11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Been out some of tonight, hadn’t seen the goal back…that’s some miss by Bentley on the first ball isn’t it?  Didn’t spot at the time…don’t think black keeper top with grey third kit is a good choice either.

I am afraid Bentley has been culpable in the 3 of the last 4 league goals.  Others have also been but the 1st v Sunderland was terrible from him.  The pass to Naismith was fine, but then he moved wider away from the goal, just as his team mate was being pressed.  He then had to hastily get back in goal, getting beat at the near post in the process.  2nd goal from Simms was poor as well.   

He looks to be back where he was early last season unfortunately.  I hope he bounces back asap.