IGNORED

Project Whitebeam

Port Said Red

9 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Well we may not be up there with FGR, but good to see the club making these initiatives.

To be honest I would think a few may be as surprised as me as to how much we do already, I have never noticed the solar panels from the aerial shots of the ground for example.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/city-launch-project-whitebeam/

I bet nobody is surprised there is a grant for those panels and that BC holdings sell the excess (which is heaps on non-match-days) back to the national grid.

But, yeah, it's all altruistic innit.

Mugs.

5 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

I bet nobody is surprised there is a grant for those panels and that BC holdings sell the excess (which is heaps on non-match-days) back to the national grid.

But, yeah, it's all altruistic innit.

Mugs.

There are few grants available anymore for solar panels on commercial properties and none at all for private ones, (which is shocking to be honest), and even those that are available only cover less than a quarter of the overall price. 

There are companies that will buy your excess electric production, some in fact are compelled to do so, but the best of these pay around 7p per KWH, which is a nice little bonus, (as a comparison it costs me 42p per KWH to charge my car at home currently. (No pun intended) :)

But even if they are doing that, who do you think benefits from the fact that the club are helping to generate clean energy into the grid, instead of there having to be even more fossil fuel generation? 

It may not be completely altruistic, but we all benefit from that outcome. 

Mug.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Well we may not be up there with FGR, but good to see the club making these initiatives.

To be honest I would think a few may be as surprised as me as to how much we do already, I have never noticed the solar panels from the aerial shots of the ground for example.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/city-launch-project-whitebeam/

Lip service.

It does make me wonder when the team fly's somewhere, say Hull, and then an empty coach is driven up from Bristol to take them to the hotel from the airport! Perhaps a local coach company could be used?

I understand the team have to get from the hotel to the ground the following day, and seem to have to arrive in style all branded up. But an empty coach driven a couple of hundred miles? Just about acceptable if the players use it to travel back, but sometimes they again fly home. 

• Like 1

I was curious as to why it was called Project Whitebeam.

It seems a bit of thought was put into the name.

The Bristol Whitebeam only grows in the Avon Gorge. Only place in the world, and has red and white colouring during the year. ?

Bristol whitebeam

Scientific name: Sorbus bristoliensis

Flowering time: Creamy white flowers in May and early June. Orangey-red berries from September – October.

Description: This tree grows to 15-22 metres tall. Its leaves are characteristically kite-shaped at the base, with lobes shaped like steps/stairs going to a point at the tip. Greenish-white on the undersides. Creamy-white flowers with pink anthers, producing orangey-red berries in the autumn.

Social history: First discovered in Leigh Woods by botanist Martha Atwood in 1852.

Taxonomy: Member of the Rosaceae (or rose) family. Originated as a hybrid between Sorbus torminalis (wild service-tree) and Sorbus eminens (round-leaved whitebeam).

Global and national distribution: : Endemic to the Avon Gorge – it grows wild here and nowhere else in the world. The Avon Gorge is particularly famous for its whitebeams. Including the Bristol whitebeam there are seven kinds of whitebeam endemic to the Avon Gorge. The others are Wilmott’s, Robertson’s, Houston’s, Observatory, Leigh Woods and Avon whitebeams.

Threats: Shading out by faster growing and larger tree species. Requires open well-lit areas for seed germination to develop a stable population.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

19 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I’m glad the surplus match day  food is given to a charity. Surplus food from commercial outlets is often just binned

Obviously there's ways around it as we're doing it, but a lot of this is because of health and safety laws. It's the reason if you go in say a Tesco express just before closing they are clearin the fresh food but they aren't allowed to let you have it they have to dispose of it.

We used to have the same with our catering, there's quite tight rules on how long food can stay out etc

18 hours ago, italian dave said:

It’s exactly that (what countries are having to deal with) but the problem is that it becomes a race to the bottom. India and China won’t do something because first world countries got away with it for years. The UK or US won’t do something because China and India won’t do it.

City won’t do something because other clubs won’t be doing it. And other clubs won’t do it because City aren’t doing it.

And in a country that purports to dislike regulation/legislation and prefer ‘voluntary’ ways forward that’s always going to be the case.

Meanwhile, North Somerset disappears into the sea, Mediterranean countries burn, and we all run short of food and water.

And all because City flew to Hull. 

The latter is a joke, of course, but there’s a point to it, someone has to lead. That’s one reason I’ve got a lot of time for what they do at FGR.

edit: and there’s lots of good stuff in what City are doing here. The food miles one stood out too. That’s impressive. Still more though: the Hummel kits may be recycled, but why do they have to come all the way round the world from China to get here. At that price they should be manufactured here too. 

Why do you say China wont do something? They are expected to overachieve their target of 65% reduction by 2030 and have shown reductions 3 quarter-year periods in a row now (given this is in the air following the Ukraine war)

It's easy to pick on China, and I used to be guilty of that, they are starting from a very high point so there's a long way to go but they appear to be commited to it so far.

Don't forget how much of their carbon footprint is due to western countries outsourcing production. We've hold responsibility for smoe of that footprint

13 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I've looked into it because I have a 4kW / 16 panel system.

That caught the last of the decent FiTs so has already paid back in cash at 7.5 years but it would still pay back over a longer term if I fiitted it today in a combination of lower tariffs and usage savings.  Maybe 12 years. If I moved house tomoroow then I would fit another solar panel system.

Adding a battery seems like a good idea, as why not keep the electricty which you generate, but when you actually cost it the payback time (huge variance but I worked it out for my own usage) is >25 years whilst the anticipated life of the batteries is c. 15 years or less.

Similar logic applies to those systems which divert excess generated electricty to the hot water.  My boiler goes from cold to piping hot in half an hour yet, during high summer, my system generates sufficient electricity to run it for ten hours every day.  The diversion system simply isn't worth the money.

Batteries for solar and power diversion systems to hot water both seem to be a good and virtuous idea until you actually start running the maths.

What would make sense is a diversion system to an EV battery if you already have an EV.  Although similarly it isn't worth lashing out on the diverter and the EV, £30k - £40k, in order to save £1k a year or whatever in fuel costs.  It only makes sense if you have already bought an EV.

I'm not against these measures, my roof is covered in solar panels, but if they don't make financial sense then they aren't genuinely green.  They are using more resources than they save.

I wouldn't, for example, buy an ASHP as again they simply do not make financial sense against a gas boiler. or put up a small domestic wind turbine.

At present there are only two genuinely "green" measures that you can take for your house: install solar panels and improve your insulation and I would recommend that everyone in a psoition to do either do so.

Everything else is marketing for profit.

I suppose it depends on whether your ROI target is to get back the cost of the system. In my case it's money from my SIPP, part of my 25% I can liberate tax free, now it could sit there and the markets could go through the roof and I will 10/12% on my investment, but it's very volatile currently and that seems unlikely. The way I see it, what I will save on my bills monthly is likely to be equal to or greater than the interest I might accrue, I can either have 9k + interest or 9k worth of system saving me x a month.

Regarding the battery, I do see it as something I will see it from as I already have an ev, at the moment I rarely charge it at home, I either use the free chargers which are conveniently placed for me or I can use one of the local rapid chargers that only costs me 5p per KWH more than at home. I am not silly enough to think this situation will last for ever though, so any savings I can make on home charging will help future proof me.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Why do you say China wont do something? They are expected to overachieve their target of 65% reduction by 2030 and have shown reductions 3 quarter-year periods in a row now (given this is in the air following the Ukraine war)

It's easy to pick on China, and I used to be guilty of that, they are starting from a very high point so there's a long way to go but they appear to be commited to it so far.

Don't forget how much of their carbon footprint is due to western countries outsourcing production. We've hold responsibility for smoe of that footprint

I’m not saying that China won’t do anything.

I’m just saying that other people will say that China’s not doing anything and use that as justification for the UK doing less. One of the ERG was on the radio last week doing just that.

I agree with you! 

5 hours ago, RedM said:

It does make me wonder when the team fly's somewhere, say Hull, and then an empty coach is driven up from Bristol to take them to the hotel from the airport! Perhaps a local coach company could be used?

I understand the team have to get from the hotel to the ground the following day, and seem to have to arrive in style all branded up. But an empty coach driven a couple of hundred miles? Just about acceptable if the players use it to travel back, but sometimes they again fly home. 

Is this true ? If so this is exactly what I mean. 

Its madness to say you care about climate change and then get the coach to drive to hull without the players on it just to travel round up in hull

21 minutes ago, The Humble Realist said:

Is this true ? If so this is exactly what I mean. 

Its madness to say you care about climate change and then get the coach to drive to hull without the players on it just to travel round up in hull

It is true. I think even though the coach doesn't have the team on board it is used to carry the training stuff they need for a couple of hours. The stuff Scotty can't fit into his van that he drives to the games. It's still an empty coach on the whole though. 

I guess in an ideal world the visiting team would be allowed access to training facilities in or near the home team to stop them having to bring everything. That's never going to happen though so players will fly and empty ish coaches driven.