IGNORED

Pearson

Top Robin

Do we really want someone who's lost interest appointing his replacement? 

It's not just about 3 games, I think people are fed up because it's been so drab for so long. For me the ownership situation needs concluding ASAP. You either want it or you don't, there's no in between. Where's the light at the end of the tunnel? It feels staler than the french stick I threw out this morning! 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Kingswood Robin said:

Do we really want someone who's lost interest appointing his replacement? 

It's not just about 3 games, I think people are fed up because it's been so drab for so long. For me the ownership situation needs concluding ASAP. You either want it or you don't, there's no in between. Where's the light at the end of the tunnel? It feels staler than the french stick I threw out this morning! 

Absolutely my view. Pearson goes we’re still stuck with the absent owner and barely functional chairman. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

Hasn’t really done anything significant in his whole time here.

What had your namesake done after two years in charge? Bugger all, too, then what happened?

Pearson’s done a lot of good in his time here IMO, ridding the deadwood and lowering the wage bill. I accept, however, there are concerns over early performances and some of his decisions. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 5

29 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

We haven’t been a ‘good side’ at this level , except for 4 months or so , since we got promoted

Pearsons not pulling up any spectacular trees,  but the surgery he’s having to do wouldn’t be palatable or acceptable to many managers , to have a manager who accepts the difficulties and is prepared to take it on is a plus for a start.

I really wonder what some expect 

Maybe , like you , I’ve become very used to City’s trials and tribulations over the decades 

We've had decent periods in all three league games and I’d be more concerned if we had just been thumped at Rotherham for example

I think your first two paragraphs above are spot on.  I will support Nige until the last moment.  God help us if Nige does decide to go.  As the saying goes, we are up a creek without a paddle.  If Nige goes then forget about the paddle for we shall have lost the boat too.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

18 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

We're not LJ/MA's little project anymore. No false hopes of playoffs, we can't spunk money up the wall and get away with it. 

Scored in every league game so far. Giving young lads their first starts in professional football and getting them up to scratch under difficult circumstances. Remember reading that we've spent less than Luton since his appointment but there's no positives or progressions given the circumstances?

I don't have any hefty expectations anymore, I just want to see us compete and work hard for the shirt. 

This team is at the bones but I still see them play till the end and keep going. Yes, they make mistakes but I can't say that they don't try.

Good and sensible post

We aren’t playing Fantasy Football Manager anymore but dealing with the harsh reality of trying to compete at this level whilst conducting life saving financial surgery

Not an easy job

Our own young players breaking into the first team , two of them now our biggest assets.......

We’ve never been a serious club at this level (That’s the stark reality) in our history , yet people are losing their **** with Pearson not establishing us so , with the constraints he’s under ignored

A great set of opening results ....no

but you’d think we’d just been thumped and humiliated in the three games 

Areas of concern , frustration..... yes of course but we are playing some good stuff in periods, our problem is consistency over 90 mins

Theres no guarantee but the ability to produce these spells is normally a positive one for any side, the transition to 90 min performances is the next big step

The impatience and despair is something I can’t grasp 

We had our chance(s) to punch upwards , with the momentum , squad , assets , and finance - - - post Cotts Promotion

We didn’t take them and ended up in a mess - that’s the reality and anyone who thinks we can suddenly turn into a force in this division is going to be disappointed IMV

• Like 11

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Because some people can’t wait to post negative stuff.  They go absent when we win or play well.  At least they should post on here in the good bad and indifferent results / performances.

Today wasn’t too bad anyway.

Second half was embarrassing. Can’t have “decent spells” in games and be happy. 

I just can’t understand how we can be so unorganised defensively for so long. When is someone going to think “maybe we should work on that” 

His whole tenure has been riddled with awful defending 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Absolutely my view. Pearson goes we’re still stuck with the absent owner and barely functional chairman. 

Agreed. In my view we're lucky to have a football man of Pearson's pedigree trying to sort out a right mess. 

The mess has been made in the Boardroom. Investment was needed when Cotts took us up. We had the nucleus of a great squad. LJ should never have replaced him. LJ should never have stayed so long - in my opinion should have gone at the end of 2017/18 when he so obviously failed to capitalise on the great position we had achieved by Christmas...we fell apart, and did so every year thereafter. He wasn't up to the job. As for Holden! It's hard to stand still in life, you're going forwards or backwards. I read @Kid in the Riot's post the other day - spot on I think, SL very happy to sit at this level. No real ambition. Tied his whole project to LJ/MA. Not turned out well.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

I just can’t understand how we can be so unorganised defensively for so long. When is someone going to think “maybe we should work on that” 

Bingo. We have 20 minutes spells where we look decent and people want to focus on that. I have been to all 3 league games. I don’t want to come on here saying how poor we are but nothing has changed. And I get finances are an issue but he has addressed problem areas which have had 0 affect. Individually on their day we have plenty who look capable but the man making the decisions can’t put the pieces together after plenty of time. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RudiRed said:

Is he that decent manager? Managed the likrs of Leicesger and Hull who were big fish in small ponds.

Recent years his record is awful, at derby, leuven and Watford.

You should probably look up his record at Watford. If you did, then you wouldn’t have made yourself look so silly. 

• Like 2

I think anyone with an ounce of grey matter will acknowledge that Pearson has had a difficult job. Trim the wage bill, not much wriggle room in bringing in players he wants.

I am concerned about how very basic mistakes seem to be happening over-and-over and our shape isn't great and to a degree (with a notable Austrian exception) we don't even seem as fit over 90+ minutes as other sides. 

I confess I do worry about the coaching. I had gone with the received wisdom that Pearson could coach a decent player and make him special, but we seem to not really be developing but accepting that we are one of the weakest sides in the division.  Maybe it'll all click into place with Semenyo and Kalas's return, but fans seem to be very accepting of mediocre results against not-that-special sides.

If the end of last season gave me hope, the beginning of this one is filling me with a vague sense of foreboding.  I don't even want to ponder where we'd be this season if Weimann gets injured. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

28 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Perception, isn’t it?

I don’t see a point away from home at Championship level as “shite”.

Context, too. If you inherit a bloated, high cost shambles & are given minimal resource in comparison to predecessors it isn’t ever going to be a bed of roses.

As others have pointed out, we normally do this sort of financial pruning after relegation, Pearson is trying to do so to avoid that.

But “Zak Vyner”, eh?

We're not in competition with LJ and Ashton's Bristol City. We're in competition with Preston, Millwall, Luton, Reading and Rotherham. 

At some point, I don't say or know exactly when, you/we must surely stop referring to this. We need someone who can "manage" despite the challenge and obstacles, as others have done, and are doing. 

At the moment, Nige is (still) struggling with it all, it would appear.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

3 games people. 3 games

It's not 3 games,  is it. 

It's 18 bloody months of complete shite,  bar the (very odd) exception. 

What other manager would have had so much tollerence,  with the stats record that he's delivered,  consistently,  over those 18 months..? 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

We're not in competition with LJ and Ashton's Bristol City. We're in competition with Preston, Millwall, Luton, Reading and Rotherham. 

At some point, I don't say or know exactly when, you/we must surely stop referring to this. We need someone who can "manage" despite the challenge and obstacles, as others have done, and are doing. 

Agreed to some extent. I imagine it is a struggle. The clubs you mention we should indeed be competing with. But they've not been run by Steve Lansdown. We had a once in a generation chance when Cotts got us up. It was obvious. Completely blown.That Lansdown appointed and then stubbornly stuck with Lee Johnson and Mark Ashton is why we're in this mess, it's hard to forget or forgive. The chance was there .

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Reactive manager. Limited tactically. Plays Martin full 90 even though he is done by 40. He is the main problem at the club. Stop giving him credit for a clear out that would have happened regardless.

Many of your posts I agree with wholeheartedly.

Totally disagree with this one though.

I fully back him

2 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

Nonsense was keeping Martin on the pitch when he offered absolutely nothing .

What would you have done instead out of interest?

He took off Conway who is pretty new to the division and played almost all of the game a few days ago. That makes sense to me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Because I called you out for nonsense?

A bit like playing Sam Bell at wing back, or giving Martin 90 minutes every week. Your man continues to have a bit of a shocker. I know you keep quoting or asking me questions but your infatuation can stop now.

14 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Yes, we are.

However with the exception of Rotherham (brilliant result today, but it WAS Reading) & Reading, who I’m sure will go down, all of those sides started this season with a huge financial advantage over us.

When will this stop? After the end of the current contract cycle in ‘23.

Then, we will still need to get far more right than wrong to have a chance to be top ten.

The signings of Wilson, Tanner, Atkinson (only significant fee) & Sykes give me some confidence we can.

Where they came from (FGR, Carlisle, Oxford) just highlights further that we aren’t signing players from the top table anymore. No more ex Chelsea, Serie A or Hertha Berlin signings on telephone numbers.

Pearson is “managing” this, that’s why unlike under McInnes we didn’t go down last year.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

It's not 3 games,  is it. 

It's 18 bloody months of complete shite,  bar the (very odd) exception. 

What other manager would have had so much tollerence,  with the stats record that he's delivered,  consistently,  over those 18 months..? 

Lee Johnson got years...was cut more slack than any manager in my 50 years plus following us...was given the keys to the kingdom and delivered  nothing more than a cup run. 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Embarrassing?  In what way?

Frustrating at times…yep.  Showed spirit though.  Dug in.  Isn’t that a positive?

Other teams are happy to have a decent spell or two in a game.

City not dominating, doesn’t mean our opponent is either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Reactive manager. Limited tactically. Plays Martin full 90 even though he is done by 40. He is the main problem at the club. Stop giving him credit for a clear out that would have happened regardless.

You are the worst kind of "fan". It must be an American thing wanting change every two minutes. Head off back to your baseball or American "Football" or something.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Agreed. In my view we're lucky to have a football man of Pearson's pedigree trying to sort out a right mess. 

The mess has been made in the Boardroom. Investment was needed when Cotts took us up. We had the nucleus of a great squad. LJ should never have replaced him. LJ should never have stayed so long - in my opinion should have gone at the end of 2017/18 when he so obviously failed to capitalise on the great position we had achieved by Christmas...we fell apart, and did so every year thereafter. He wasn't up to the job. As for Holden! It's hard to stand still in life, you're going forwards or backwards. I read @Kid in the Riot's post the other day - spot on I think, SL very happy to sit at this level. No real ambition. Tied his whole project to LJ/MA. Not turned out well.

My view is that he should be doing better with the resources he has - a number of which he decided to sign.

• Like 1