IGNORED

Pearson

Top Robin

7 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

No, he has brought in players to fit our budget not the same as bringing in the players “you want”.

Well is that not the game? Yes we overspent but NP is also creating an even wage bill. I don’t think these are just players we can afford. This is the way forward and even if they are the best available to everyone, they are the best to us. So should we not expect more from them? 

Also, let’s not downplay the quality of player. King and James older yes but released from prem club with plenty of experience at this level and one higher. Atkinson a 1.5m cb. Naismith a top 6 championship clubs player of the season. Wilson L2 team of the year. Even players like Klose and Sykes had plenty to be positive about. 

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Yes,  I bet he does wish he could do that. 

Maybe if he could get something out of the players he does have at his disposal,  or could get senior players to sign new contracts,  or gave anyone,  anywhere,  any faith that he has some kind of game plan - he'd probably feel more confident in asking for a better transfer budget. 

Anyway - genuinely bored of the discussion now. 

I don't think that NP is doing a very good job. 

You do. 

Great! Enjoy the rest of your weekend. 

Asking for a better transfer budget? There is no ******* transfer budget. That’s the point!

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

Well is that not the game? Yes we overspent but NP is also creating an even wage bill. I don’t think these are just players we can afford. This is the way forward and even if they are the best available to everyone, they are the best to us. So should we not expect more from them? 

Also, let’s not downplay the quality of player. King and James older yes but released from prem club with plenty of experience at this level and one higher. Atkinson a 1.5m cb. Naismith a top 6 championship clubs player of the season. Wilson L2 team of the year. Even players like Klose and Sykes had plenty to be positive about. 

In my view we are two players away from being relatively comfortable in this league. I would be doing everything possible to move Massengo on and bringing two more in that make us more stable defensively.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Thinking a draw away from home in the Championship is a disaster does smack of entitlement, no doubt about it.

So where did I write disaster? It isn’t the results I am worried about. It is the performances that are worrying. We have had 20-30 minute spells in games where we look very good. The problem is the games are 90 minutes. 

• Like 1

Just now, Numero Uno said:

In my view we are two players away from being relatively comfortable in this league. I would be doing everything possible to move Massengo on and bringing two more in that make us more stable defensively.

I agree with that. Think Klose might have been a bit panic with Cundy leaving. Possibly Kalas worse off than we thought too. We aren’t complete. I don’t think we had a chance of playoffs but thought we should be more solid with the incomings while maintaining our threat forward

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Worst kind of fan that is there every week home or away ? you probably watching on an illegal stream. What does my nationality have to do with anything anyway? Comment is basically racist. Guess that is the right type of “fan”

Ah yes the " I spend more than a pensioner" argument. it maybe nothing to do with your upbringing, but does feel like something that comes from an upbringing in a highly capitalist society. Not that you have any idea on how or even if I watched the game today. Nice to know that my nearly 60 years of support are reduced to how much money I have spent.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

LJ also had to sell every decent player that we had..! 

Come on,  you know that aswell,  surely. 

Just saying that LJ spend loads of money is a very one sided,  lazy,  cock eyed version of reality. 

My argument is that he had to because he / MA / SL overspent on 50+ other players (transfer fees, agent fees, loan fees, wages, signing on fees, etc, etc).  If he’d /they’d been as frugal with each signing as Nige / RG, he might have been able to keep some of them…even offered the likes of Joe Bryan a wage commensurate not only with his teammates but his standing in the squad too.

You can’t always have cake and eat it.

Not picking on you Bar BS3, just your posts triggering things I can respond on the back of.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

So where did I write disaster? It isn’t the results I am worried about. It is the performances that are worrying. We have had 20-30 minute spells in games where we look very good. The problem is the games are 90 minutes. 

To be honest Joe I've not watched many City away matches in which we had more than 20-30 minutes looking very good! Unless we were in the divisions below and playing someone pretty dire. It's more usually a case of capitalising on that spell and stealing the points. Shame we didn't do that today. It's not promising to be a great season but watching the side develop week in week out can be very satisfying - hang in there!

6 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I agree with that. Think Klose might have been a bit panic with Cundy leaving. Possibly Kalas worse off than we thought too. We aren’t complete. I don’t think we had a chance of playoffs but thought we should be more solid with the incomings while maintaining our threat forward

Interested in what you mean by Klose being a panic?

He looked very good to me after signing, there seemed a groundswell of support to keep him, yet 3 games later he’s a panic move?

Cundy was dropped by Barnsley after 1 game, by the way. Got the last 6 minutes as a sub today.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Under LJ we progressed each season,  until the end. 

We were regularly at least outside hopefulls of a playoff challenge. 

Please show me the stats from LJ's time here against those of NP... 

and the budgets and financial spend whilst we are at it.......

Your man Lee , together with the snake blew the best opportunity we had to truly ‘progress’ in my lifetime

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Embarrassing?  In what way?

Frustrating at times…yep.  Showed spirit though.  Dug in.  Isn’t that a positive?

Other teams are happy to have a decent spell or two in a game.

City not dominating, doesn’t mean our opponent is either.

Showing spirit and digging in isn't enough Dave - it like describing the kid who came last at the school sports day. 

I want some footballing ability and winning performances.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Wasn’t talking about you personally saying it was a disaster but a small number seem to think we should go to Wigan and wipe the floor with them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

and the budgets and financial spend whilst we are at it.......

Your man Lee , together with the snake blew the best opportunity we had to truly ‘progress’ in my lifetime

I go one step higher and say it’s Steve’s responsibility for allowing Swiss Toni to hoodwink him.

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yes, we are.

However with the exception of Rotherham (brilliant result today, but it WAS Reading) & Reading, who I’m sure will go down, all of those sides started this season with a huge financial advantage over us.

When will this stop? After the end of the current contract cycle in ‘23.

Then, we will still need to get far more right than wrong to have a chance to be top ten.

The signings of Wilson, Tanner, Atkinson (only significant fee) & Sykes give me some confidence we can.

Where they came from (FGR, Carlisle, Oxford) just highlights further that we aren’t signing players from the top table anymore. No more ex Chelsea, Serie A or Hertha Berlin signings on telephone numbers.

Pearson is “managing” this, that’s why unlike under McInnes we didn’t go down last year.

But we have had a "huge financial advantage" over Preston, Millwall and others up until covid and yet Preston have managed a best finish of 7th and finished above us in all but one of this spell of seven Championship seasons, and Millwall on a comparatively shoes string budget have matched our best of 8th twice. Luton with peanuts reached the play-offs. Being a bit strapped for cash is an excuse, as well as a reason. It doesn’t excuse playing two promoted sides in your first three games and being bottom of the pile. Why are we shite when we have less money than Preston? They're not shite when they have less than us.*

Preston were buying lads out of Irish football and shit-housing us off the park when we had more dosh to throw at it, pre covid. Where have Millwall been shopping? (I genuinely don't know).

We do have Kalas, Weimann, Dasilva, Bentley, Martin as well as the lower league lads you list, so we're not a squad of L1 and 2 boys trying to step up.

It's a poor start after two and a half very poor years. Nige has had long enough now to have a bit more of an impact than this. But it's early days still, too early yet to be sure what lies ahead, and if Weimann, Kalas and Semenyo when they return remain injury free for the rest of the season, I remain hopeful that we can finish above the drop.

But not above Preston or Millwall, I wouldn't have thought.

* perhaps @Red Exile has the answer to this, earlier in the thread.

• Robin 1

15 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Ah yes the " I spend more than a pensioner" argument. it maybe nothing to do with your upbringing, but does feel like something that comes from an upbringing in a highly capitalist society. Not that you have any idea on how or even if I watched the game today. Nice to know that my nearly 60 years of support are reduced to how much money I have spent.

Not about money. About being in the thick of it with the passion and emotion and being ket down time and time again. My upbringing is irrelevant. As someone who has actually lived in both countries, there isn’t much difference. My life is the same now here as it was 10 years ago there. Broke then and broke now. City a nice release on the weekends after a week of monotony but your years of service and place of birth makes you more entitled to an opinion. I get it now mate cheers

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

...possibly...I give the further example of Hull, a club I know well as they are my in-laws team. You'd struggle to find a more poorly managed club in recent years, but already bouncing back top of the table tonight and since 2008-  is it two spells in the top flight and an FA Cup final?...all of that whilst we've had the stability of the Lansdown era.

And to think I once put pennies in a bucket at Brentford and pitied them...

7 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Wasn’t talking about you personally saying it was a disaster but a small number seem to think we should go to Wigan and wipe the floor with them.

Ah ok my apologies. No city won’t wipe them floor with anyone in this division but it is shame we can’t control games for longer periods is my main gripe. Go out and get a second while we are on top

14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Interested in what you mean by Klose being a panic?

He looked very good to me after signing, there seemed a groundswell of support to keep him, yet 3 games later he’s a panic move?

Cundy was dropped by Barnsley after 1 game, by the way. Got the last 6 minutes as a sub today.

I just find it odd he isn’t starting after being a regular last season. Did he not have a good preseason? Is Vyner just better? I am not sure of the answer. So maybe panic wrong word but he is not playing and NP saying he’d like another cb. Find it a bit odd unless something going on with kalas we do not know about. 

1 hour ago, RudiRed said:

What his 31% win ratio. Outstanding. Brilliant stuff. You keep asking me questions but the obsession needs to stop. 

You sure know a lot about me for someone who joined the forum 2 weeks ago. ? 

Think you’re going to have to come up with another name now. ? 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

They’re still trotting out the season on season progress….where did it get us?

HERE.

A club fighting for its Championship status with eff-all money to recover.  A CEO long gone, courting investors for another club whilst working here.

I’m fed up of the entitlement of certain posters every Saturday evening when they come on here demanding the manager gets sacked.  I want us to play better, but we are still in recovery mode.  We should be grateful we have a manager and CEO with zero-Ego trying to recover this club.

I don’t think some of our fans deserve them.  

Spot on Fevs

The ‘we progressed every season’ is so short sighted it beggars belief , judged purely on a mid table finish slightly higher than before , whilst assembling the biggest and most expensive squad we’ve ever had , with millions of pounds of players not used and cast aside like broken toys

As for the self entitlement , I’m not sure where this comes from but it is certainly getting worse

Most of the loudest persistent moaners will I’d guess never seen us higher than the Championship and , as I stated on another post earlier we’ve never been a real force at this level , Ever

Besides the obvious spell in Div 1 and taking into account the squads and momentum we had , we’ve  probably had two opportunities to push on at this level and look to the top in my lifetime

Off the back of Joe Jordan’s tenure , and post Cotts 

Right now , due to the mess created we are fighting for some form of foothold

it if people want to have a moan - I suggest they look a lot higher than NP and also , for many , lose the short sighted pink glasses about the post Cotts years , and where it’s brought us

We remind me of a school under special measures for terrible performance and problems and NP the old fashioned head brought in to sort issues and get basic stability

Is he the Messiah or a coaching genius ? 

No I don’t believe so ,

but he will leave us (Whenever he does) with a better squad in terms of mentality and absent of fakers and wasters

Thise who want him out (I’d love to hear their idea of a plan(s) and who the wonder coach is who we can bring in to turn Zak into Rio , JD into Ashley Cole

Those so desperate for a change may need to remind themselves that any new coach will be surrounded and supported by the football knowledge and experience of Jon Lansdown & Richard Gould , and Steve when he’s about.....

sounds like experience is a good idea , so who’s that to be ?

* My little bet is that Dean Smith gets the boot at Norwich and there’s a hysterical campaign to get him here 

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Flames 4

5 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Spot on Fevs

The ‘we progressed every season’ is so short sighted it beggars belief , judged purely on a mid table finish slightly higher than before , whilst assembling the biggest and most expensive squad we’ve ever had , with millions of pounds of players not used and cast aside like broken toys

As for the self entitlement , I’m not sure where this comes from but it is certainly getting worse

Most of the loudest persistent moaners will I’d guess never seen us higher than the Championship and , as I stated on another post earlier we’ve never been a real force at this level , Ever

Besides the obvious spell in Div 1 and taking into account the squads and momentum we had , we’ve  probably had two opportunities to push on at this level and look to the top in my lifetime

Off the back of Joe Jordan’s tenure , and post Cotts 

Right now , due to the mess created we are fighting for some form of foothold

it if people want to have a moan - I suggest they look a lot higher than NP and also , for many , lose the short sighted pink glasses about the post Cotts years , and where it’s brought us

We remind me of a school under special measures for terrible performance and problems and NP the old fashioned head brought in to sort issues and get basic stability

Is he the Messiah or a coaching genius ? 

No I don’t believe so ,

but he will leave us (Whenever he dies) with a better squad in terms of mentality and absent of fakers and wasters

Thise who want him out (I’d love to hear their idea of a plan(s) and who the wonder coach is who we can bring in to turn Zak into Rio , JD into Ashley Cole

Those so desperate for a change may need to remind themselves that any new coach will be surrounded and supported by the football knowledge and experience of Jon Lansdown & Richard Gould , and Steve when he’s about.....

sounds like experience is a good idea , so who’s that to be ?

* My little bet is that Dean Smith gets the boot at Norwich and there’s a hysterical campaign to get him here 

You might want to edit the bit in brackets about half way down mate!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I just find it odd he isn’t starting after being a regular last season. Did he not have a good preseason? Is Vyner just better? I am not sure of the answer. So maybe panic wrong word but he is not playing and NP saying he’d like another cb. Find it a bit odd unless something going on with kalas we do not know about. 

Fair comment.

So do I, re Klose there are a couple of possible answers:

He’s carrying a knock.

The disruption of his other half being in Switzerland & giving birth to their first child this week, means he’s not quite ready.

That he’s returned to training & at 34, we are seeing the first signs of a deterioration in his game.

I obviously don’t know but agree from a distance he’s a more logical pick.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

But we have had a "huge financial advantage" over Preston, Millwall and others up until covid and yet Preston have managed a best finish of 7th and finished above us in all but one of this spell of seven Championship seasons, and Millwall on a comparatively shoes string budget have matched our best of 8th twice. Luton with peanuts reached the play-offs. Being a bit strapped for cash is an excuse, as well as a reason. It doesn’t excuse playing two promoted sides in your first three games and being bottom of the pile. Why are we shite when we have less money than Preston? They're not shite when they have less than us.*

Preston were buying lads out of Irish football and shit-housing us off the park when we had more dosh to throw at it, pre covid. Where have Millwall been shopping? (I genuinely don't know).

We do have Kalas, Weimann, Dasilva, Bentley, Martin as well as the lower league lads you list, so we're not a squad of L1 and 2 boys trying to step up.

It's a poor start after two and a half very poor years. Nige has had long enough now to have a bit more of an impact than this. But it's early days still, too early yet to be sure what lies ahead, and if Weimann, Kalas and Semenyo when they return remain injury free for the rest of the season, I remain hopeful that we can finish above the drop.

But not above Preston or Millwall, I wouldn't have thought.

Yep, but that was then & this is now. All Preston’s hoodoo over us (a bit reduced of late) shows is that Alex Neil is a better manager than LJ, & Sunderland fans are now seeing that.

This summer Millwall paid a million for a Dutch midfielder, signed Hull’s second best player last season (Honeyman), Benik Afobe on a permanent deal & yesterday brought in a striker from Union Berlin, that is fairly strong evidence as to how they have come out of the pandemic shock in a far better position than us.

We do have the players you list, unfortunately Kalas hasn’t played since early March & is a big miss, but if you look at our overall numbers they are small & we don’t have a single outfield player bar him in the sweet spot ages of 26-29.

It isn’t a great start but we could definitely have got something at Hull with a better rub of the green, small sample size though.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Top Robin said:

I so want him to succeed because I know he has the pedigree and experience to make it happen for us.

But, I fear he may be one of those managers who has lost his 'mojo' and has peaked a few years back.

Arguably there may have been a slight improvement but it is so inconsistent and generally I don't feel he is moving us forward at the pace we need. 

Frankly, some of the performances under his tenure have been laughable.

I don't know who could replace him and it's not up to me suggest anyone but I don't think he is the one for us.

I’m not really sure what more he or anybody could do under the circumstances. He’s got rid of the bad apples and trusting our promising youth!

It’s just the silly mistakes at the back that’s costing us. On the whole I think he has done okay, we’re just desperate for some funds and a full fit team.