IGNORED

Pearson

Top Robin

3 minutes ago, City oz said:

Top Robin I totally agree with you. Listening today NP is starting to repeat himself on various web sites. " I-am frustrated and disappointed with some of the official decisions and our inability to stay a head when we are winning"

The last two years we all think give him a chance. How many chances does he get ?. We finished 17th last season and with even taking on board the pre season friendlies it looks like no improvement on 17th again as what have we seen that is better.

NP  in his earlier years was a fair to great defender at Shrewsbury, Middlesborough and Sheffield Wednesday in his playing days. Later being successful with Leicester City but will it happen at BS3?? 

Time for NP to hang up his boots and hand back the keys to his car and office if we are all honest as it looks like we will struggle again this season. I feel sorry for all the fans that week in and week out turn up and leave disappointed where their expectations have diminished.

Not sure who can replace NP but something needs to happen or take place where some wins are on the board in the next few weeks.

Can any one on here honestly say we are in a better position now than in season 2019/20

Ah, the 2019/20 season, when we signed Kalas, Dasilva, Palmer, Szmodics, Nagy, Rowe, Gilmartin , Afobe , Bentley, Massengo, Ashley Williams, Perriera, Rodri, Wells, Cundy, Henriksen and Benkovic.

Seems a fair comparison. 

Oh and LJ got sacked. 

• Like 6

16 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Reactive manager. Limited tactically. Plays Martin full 90 even though he is done by 40. He is the main problem at the club. Stop giving him credit for a clear out that would have happened regardless.

Total bollocks . Keeping the club in the championship while cutting £12m off the wage bill is something most managers couldn’t do . Look at his post match press interview , he looks exasperated . We can’t bring players in at the moment but we’re desperate for them . Stop concentrating on the 90 minutes in front of you & think behind the scenes. There are plenty of Lansdown happy clappers but it’s his bloody fault we’re in this mess 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

4 minutes ago, City oz said:

Yes. I did read most.

In which case I'd say it was hard to conclude that fans leaving disappointed with their expectations diminished is likely to be solved by Pearson leaving. I think we will indeed struggle this season - and why? - poor management of both the playing and financial sides of the club have left us in a pickle, playing kids and bringing in lower league free transfers. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Ah, the 2019/20 season, when we signed Kalas, Dasilva, Palmer, Szmodics, Nagy, Rowe, Gilmartin , Afobe , Bentley, Massengo, Ashley Williams, Perriera, Rodri, Wells, Cundy, Henriksen and Benkovic.

Seems a fair comparison. 

Oh and LJ got sacked. 

Might open a can of worms here but if LJ was still with us would be in a better position than we are in now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Total bollocks . Keeping the club in the championship while cutting £12m off the wage bill is something most managers couldn’t do . Look at his post match press interview , he looks exasperated . We can’t bring players in at the moment but we’re desperate for them . Stop concentrating on the 90 minutes in front of you & think behind the scenes. There are plenty of Lansdown happy clappers but it’s his bloody fault we’re in this mess 

Cut 12m off a wage bill that should have never been that high. Not like we have been stripped of all our budget. Just reverting to our level. He has brought in 7-8 players in his tenure. Not like anyone he let go we were desperate to keep. 

I don’t doubt it is a tough job but he has 18 months to weed out players he did not want and bring in ones he did. Maybe he’d ideally have brought in 2-3 more and possibly npt had to resign someone like Baker or Klose or King but I don’t count this as a major disaster to why we can’t be more solid. It does not feel like there is an in between with fans. Why can’t you acknowledge it isn’t a great scenario but at the same time realise he hasn’t been completely hamstrung and things are not getting better? We are not bringing in many L1 or L2 punts. We have signed mostly established players for this level and we have the same problems we had 12 months ago. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, City oz said:

Might open a can of worms here but if LJ was still with us would be in a better position than we are in now.

...as I said before, read the preceding pages. You're not opening a can of worms...it was opened on page 1. 

The idea that LJ should still be here is laughable. Even his patron and greatest admirer saw through him eventually! Pity it took so long.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

In which case I'd say it was hard to conclude that fans leaving disappointed with their expectations diminished is likely to be solved by Pearson leaving. I think we will indeed struggle this season - and why? - poor management of both the playing and financial sides of the club have left us in a pickle, playing kids and bringing in lower league free transfers. 

I have been dreaming of division one football and Prem league now for what would be 40 or so years. I live every day looking forward to those golden years again the seasons 75,76,77,78,79. I retired last week and I sincerely hope and deeply wish for success.

• Robin 1

2 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

...as I said before, read the preceding pages. You're not opening a can of worms...it was opened on page 1. 

The idea that LJ should still be here is laughable. Even his patron and greatest admirer saw through him eventually! Pity it took so long.

It is beyond belief that someone thinks this.

LJ was given time & resources that no previous manager (even his father, who had the time, but not the money) has ever had.

He failed, we were in huge financial strife as a result, that’s why Holden (another abysmal SL pick) had very little money to spend.

I’ve blocked this bloke, he’s either a wind up merchant or deluded.

• Flames 2

6 minutes ago, City oz said:

I have been dreaming of division one football and Prem league now for what would be 40 or so years. I live every day looking forward to those golden years again the seasons 75,76,77,78,79. I retired last week and I sincerely hope and deeply wish for success.

We must be a similar vintage! We all want the best for the club. In my time I'd rank SL's decision to stubbornly persist with his boy wonder and Mark Ashton as amongst the very worst. The consequence - the fall out - is that I can't see us challenging again for the top flight any time soon. Lansdown needs to sell up and move on. He demonstrably doesn't know how to run a successful football club. He's had 20 years. But as I'd like to enjoy the day I'll stop dwelling on that now...

Edited by Red Exile
  • Like 1
  • Robin 1

24 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Seems a fair comparison. 

Oh and LJ got sacked. 

12 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Cut 12m off a wage bill that should have never been that high. Not like we have been stripped of all our budget. Just reverting to our level. He has brought in 7-8 players in his tenure. Not like anyone he let go we were desperate to keep. 

I don’t doubt it is a tough job but he has 18 months to weed out players he did not want and bring in ones he did. Maybe he’d ideally have brought in 2-3 more and possibly npt had to resign someone like Baker or Klose or King but I don’t count this as a major disaster to why we can’t be more solid. It does not feel like there is an in between with fans. Why can’t you acknowledge it isn’t a great scenario but at the same time realise he hasn’t been completely hamstrung and things are not getting better? We are not bringing in many L1 or L2 punts. We have signed mostly established players for this level and we have the same problems we had 12 months ago. 

So he’s signed 7-8 players in his tenure. See my post above yours, LJ signed 17 in one season. Hardly comparing like for like. 

And I wouldn’t mind betting there were one or two he may have wanted to keep but couldn’t from a financial perspective  

I’m as frustrated as anyone with our failure to look more solid at the back, but it’s chalk and cheese. 

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

At their worst I think their reigns are very similar. LJ had better highs though but 1000% had better resources. 

I don’t really mind how we play. We just don’t feel as organised as we should to me. When we do press it doesn’t feel as if it is as a unit. When we sit deeper I get a sense our cms and wide cbs are not always sure where to be at times. Think playing a Martin is logical when he is at his best but for me he is playing too much. His performances drop significantly as the game wears on. 

I guess my point is, I don’t feel as if we are miles away from being a competitive side. A team that could ultimately finish 13-16th but probably never more than 7-10 points from playoffs through 40-42 games. Problem is think we have been quite close to that for awhile now but we still haven’t made the last little adjustments. So much to be optimistic about going into the season and despite a couple key injuries which do not help, can’t help but feel they’d just cover up a few of the cracks instead of completing us.

we are still not where we should be. I do not know what the answer is or claim to be an expert. 

I looked at the match replays against Coventry in the week and noticed the young kids in our section running to the fence line so excited we were scoring goals, they were jumping up and down and the 350 or so that were there were singing their bloody heads off. It is a shame this maybe only happening in the cup and not the championship.

There was some success in the LJ earlier seasons but not sure what better resources he had.

1 minute ago, City oz said:

we are still not where we should be. I do not know what the answer is or claim to be an expert. 

I looked at the match replays against Coventry in the week and noticed the young kids in our section running to the fence line so excited we were scoring goals, they were jumping up and down and the 350 or so that were there were singing their bloody heads off. It is a shame this maybe only happening in the cup and not the championship.

There was some success in the LJ earlier seasons but not sure what better resources he had.

You’re not sure what better resources LJ had…?

**** a duck, I think @GrahamC has you spot on. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Weve been basically shite for the last 40 years, the time ive been supporting them. Anyone is entitled to feel angry with all the false dawns, signings who have been crap, pathetic management appointments and anyone good having been sold. Im pretty sure there was a widespread positive response when pearson was appointed, but he still cant organise a defence no matter who he brings in. Its not been 3 games, its been 1.5 years that this has been happening. We are at the stage now where its a surprise when we dont lose to a late goal!

The last 31 since Joe Jordan left us to go to Hearts, hoping it would bring him the Scotland manager's job.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, City oz said:

Shed loads!!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, City oz said:

I was not a fan of his but he did do something better than that. Did we not get promoted to the championship.

No he didn't get us promoted to the championship so clearly you have proved you don't have a clue what u are talking about ?

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

18 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

So what other club has halved their wage bill in 18 months ? Who is saying Pearson has the hardest job ?You are making it up. He has a difficult job, but who is comparing his challenge to other clubs ? No one apart from you is saying that. It is a most bizarre way to argue your point by inventing an opinion that no-one is actually stating. 

Stoke supposedly have...albeit from a higher base and with some very questionable accounting.

Cardiff- so they claim- have one of the lowest in the division. (Unsure about that).

Not altogether sure of the halving either in our case- is this lock stock and barrel, Bristol City Holdings inclusive of Pay, NI, Pension, bonuses. Players of all types, all coaching, non coaching but football-  Uncle Tom Cobley and all.

Believe it has been cut substantially but not altogether convinced by halved.

This isn't a dig at NP- fully get and appreciate the constraints he is working under, I'm just unsure about the halved figure- e.g. in 2019/20 and 2020/21, the BCFC Holdings wage bill was £6m and £5m above the club one respectively.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

45 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Amen 

people can blame lj, Ashton and Pearson all they want but in the end it all comes down to him . 

I got gas mates (sadly) one of them was laughing during the week because he said he’d be willing to sell. Yes he’s rebuilt the ground & training ground but on the pitch where it matters. For the amount of money he’s put into the playing side of things he’s failed miserably . He’s no Harry Dolman in that respect 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I got gas mates (sadly) one of them was laughing during the week because he said he’d be willing to sell. Yes he’s rebuilt the ground & training ground but on the pitch where it matters. For the amount of money he’s put into the playing side of things he’s failed miserably . He’s no Harry Dolman in that respect 

Exactly mate blows my mind how people think he’s done a good job when dozens of clubs that were the same size or smaller than us have had way more success and overtaken us in lansdowns quater of a century in charge . I know some of them are now in league one but I can guarantee none of them would swap anything they’ve done to be like Bristol city .

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

3 games people. 3 games

It's not though is, it or have you forgotten the previous season? there are many ready to make excuses for him and some of them have merit but to say 3 games people 3 games is to insult my and a lot of other posters intelligence, who quite rightly have genuine concerns at the seeming lack of much if any improvement, late goals, can't hold onto leads etc etc.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

We didn’t get into the first division in 1976 by buying players, we got there by investing in youth.  We then made exactly the same mistakes we’ve made recently: signing players we couldn’t afford and putting players on ludicrously generous contracts (we were one of the highest wage payers when we were in division one).  This led to us going bankrupt and finding ourselves bottom of Division 4.

Football was more straightforward in Harry Dolman’s day, but having got to the top division (which, let’s face it, was equivalent to today’s championship) we still managed to get it catastrophically wrong.

Don’t fool yourself.  Taking everything into consideration we’re probably better off now than we’ve ever been.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The big question for me is what's missing from the team we had back in 14/15. I'm not suggesting we should be at the top of the table and winning every week, but there just seems to be something different in the squad mentality. What did we have back then that has been missing ever since? And I'm not just talking about SC, are the players just not working as a unit? Is there any real 'togetherness'? 

We just seem so scared no matter who the opposition are, when Important points are on the line each and every week we just seem to buckle under pressure. The most frustrating thing of all is that it's clear we can play good football, we've done it in all three games this season. But when we take the lead that just all seems to go out the window? 

Yes, the opposition will always have spells of pressure, but this doesn't mean we should be defending on the back foot for 45-60 minutes every game. It really is bizarre how we seems to have the mentally and ability to get the lead (an improvement on the season before last), but not the ability to push on and add to that lead. The standard of refereeing is poor, that's clear to see, but the biggest problem is our inability to stay on the front foot. We have players who can score, we can get the ball forward, can we PLEASE stop surrendering every week? 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Exactly mate blows my mind how people think he’s done a good job when dozens of clubs that were the same size or smaller than us have had way more success and overtaken us in lansdowns quater of a century in charge . I know some of them are now in league one but I can guarantee none of them would swap anything they’ve done to be like Bristol city .

A mate text me during the Brentford game & said . How the hell have they done this on a fraction of the budget we’ve had at city . We were always the so called bigger club than them but always seemed to be in the same league  . Little brentford. Look what a defined idea & playing philosophy can get you. 
we’ve NEVER had that under Lansdown . His managerial & boardroom appointments have been piss poor. He gets credit for Gary Johnson , apart from him every other manager he himself has appointed has been a failure 

(cotts, Kieth dawe) 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1