IGNORED

Pearson

Top Robin

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

A mate text me during the Brentford game & said . How the hell have they done this on a fraction of the budget we’ve had at city . We were always the so called bigger club than them but always seemed to be in the same league  . Little brentford. Look what a defined idea & playing philosophy can get you. 
we’ve NEVER had that under Lansdown . His managerial & boardroom appointments have been piss poor. He gets credit for Gary Johnson , apart from him every other manager he himself has appointed has been a failure 

(cotts, Kieth dawe) 

I was thinking the same. The big difference however is location. They would always be a more attractive proposition being in London that us in the SW

Not sure I buy this whole argument of 'we only play well for spells so it's not good enough'. While I'm frustrated that we seem to disappear for spells in games, especially late on, and it's to our detriment, there are very few teams in world football that will control a game for 90 minutes. Watching the EFL highlights last night, every game the commentary was pretty much 'Team X started well and opened the scoring, but team Y got a footing in the game after HT to level it. Team X made a good sub and he scored the winner'. The momentum swings in games of football and if you're expecting us to look in control of the game for 60/ 70+ mins then you're expecting a promotion pushing side and I think that's unrealistic in our circumstances. 

I'd be interested to hear what posters calling for time on Pearson's reign expect from Norwich, Middlesbrough, Coventry, Luton and West Brom this season. Those 5 teams, along with us, make up the bottom 6 (yes, I'm aware 3 of those 6 have a game in hand). And I'm sure a lot of people on here will still look at those teams and expect them to move up table in time rather than over react to a few poor results. So why are we any different?

While the goals we conceded against Sunderland gave me flashbacks to last season's defensive woes, we were just incredibly unfortunate against Hull. What can Pearson do about that penalty decision or the deflection? DaveFevs is right, the results will come. 

In short, let's not overreact. The trend since Pearson's appointment feels like an improvement, both on and off the pitch. After years of LJ/ MA doing a lot of talking but often not backing it up, Nige is straight talking, Gould is happy to do his work quietly and efficiently in the background and I have very little doubt in my mind between them they will leave the club in a much better way than they found it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 3

2 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Bloke's on the other side of the world, give him a chance! I don't think they cover our L1 on Kerry Packer's Channel 9 what with all the Aussie rules and what have you ...

I think Kerry Packer’s circus has lost a clown. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

We didn’t get into the first division in 1976 by buying players, we got there by investing in youth.  We then made exactly the same mistakes we’ve made recently: signing players we couldn’t afford and putting players on ludicrously generous contracts (we were one of the highest wage payers when we were in division one).  This led to us going bankrupt and finding ourselves bottom of Division 4.

Football was more straightforward in Harry Dolman’s day, but having got to the top division (which, let’s face it, was equivalent to today’s championship) we still managed to get it catastrophically wrong.

Don’t fool yourself.  Taking everything into consideration we’re probably better off now than we’ve ever been.

I get that to a extent but how are we better off ? Because of the ground ? Training ground ? On the pitch we’re going backwards . People will say oh sir Steve keeps bailing us out financially . Yes he does , but he’s constantly bailing out his own mistakes . It’s so Bristol city to get a local billionaire in charge of us that knows bugger all about the sport he’s involved in . If I or many on here had , had the chance to pump the money in he has then I would of known first & foremost to define a playing philosophy the club adheres to from first team & right through the academy . Get the best scouting network affordable . Football wise he’s just stumbled his way along . We get promoted , identify the players we want to make us stronger & what happens , our CEO at the time (not Ashton) tries to renegotiate contracts . He promptly lost his job & rightly so , but how did Lansdown ever let that happen . We had a good squad & looked good to kick on with signings we wanted but no . We end up going backwards . Poor planning by ”sir Steve”  yet again 

• Like 4

Time for a change I think, need someone young and hungry who’s up for the challenge of a rebuild. It’s all gone a bit stale I think, I personally don’t see any progress from when Pearson came in to now.. 

I understand we went for a bit of a different approach when appointing him but just can’t see it working out. The issue is I can’t think of many names who are available if Pearson were to leave ? 

1 hour ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Amen 

people can blame lj, Ashton and Pearson all they want but in the end it all comes down to him . 

Tell ‘ee what.

Whilst walking from the Asda car park to the “stadium” yesterday it dawned on me. That’s “the model” that Messers Lansdown and Mrs Lansdown want for his portfolio.

A premiere facility with multiple cash cows. They too could have their hands on the udders of KFC, Nando’s, Subway et Al.

Hoards of punters willing and desperate to fill their pockets with credit card generated purchases. **** me some weren’t even going to the footy….. They was there for a sweltering hot shopping experience……

And at the end as we walk back to Asda, reflecting on yet another day of wasted opportunity we see Father L and Junior coming out of Smythes.

Junior has something in his bag. He’s muttering about “the model” that Father has gifted him.

”You said I could have the Millenium Falcon. Or Lego Expert Ferrari…..”

”Stop your whining you ungrateful child. When you can show me you can manage a Lego Duplo I’ll let you loose on the big boy Lego….. In the meantime Maggie where’s that ******* bus? Did we bring the Blue one or the Red one…..”

Kerching. More cash in they coffers. Keeping up the bloody good work…..

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

We didn’t get into the first division in 1976 by buying players, we got there by investing in youth.  We then made exactly the same mistakes we’ve made recently: signing players we couldn’t afford and putting players on ludicrously generous contracts (we were one of the highest wage payers when we were in division one).  This led to us going bankrupt and finding ourselves bottom of Division 4.

Football was more straightforward in Harry Dolman’s day, but having got to the top division (which, let’s face it, was equivalent to today’s championship) we still managed to get it catastrophically wrong.

Don’t fool yourself.  Taking everything into consideration we’re probably better off now than we’ve ever been.

Better from a bricks and mortar point of view, but on the pitch? SL's wedge has helped us cling on at this level longer than we would typically manage, longer than we would manage under previous, less minted owners; typically by now, after the good run ended or someone crucial left, we would quickly fold and be back in L1 before you can say: Les Kew.

In the words of Sheff Weds fan Paul Brady and Ronan Keating, all that's happening here is a long goodbye (to Championship football. Imho).

12 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

I was thinking the same. The big difference however is location. They would always be a more attractive proposition being in London that us in the SW

Posh do it as well to a lesser extent . Constantly picking up gems at low cost & selling high . A club that size shouldn’t be getting in & out of the championship as much as they have over the last 10-15 years , but they do because they have a strong playing structure. 
just the memory of the clubs in the bag quote from Johnson senior that ended up with a overblown lop sided over paid squad that ended in disastrous relegation . He learnt nothing from that even though it cost him £50m of his own money . He the then repeats it with LJ & here we are again. The bloke is bloody clueless football wise 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

The big question for me is what's missing from the team we had back in 14/15. 

The trite answer in my view is "a midfield". 

Scott is clearly a very good player, and Massengo, while not quite in his league IMO also gives us something, while Williams has, in the past, looked solid.

But this is not the combination we need and King looks past-it and James hasn't got 90 minutes in him and is injury prone. 

The way the ball comes back so often on our defence to my mind is a reflection of how easily our MF is bypassed and how we don't retain possession in the middle half of the pitch much. It makes the defence look the problem, but if you bombard anyone's backline with continuous probing attacks, you'll eventually strike lucky.

To my mind, we are just a Marlon Pack type player away from having a solid base that will shield the back line and bring the ball forward to the more flair players like Scott and Massengo who can feed our forwards. 

I'm not sure a wing-back system works either, and Sykes and Dasilva don't look the men to provide the forward oomph to get the ball somewhere Weimann and Martin can work with. 

I think a flat back four, a - potentially loan - robust, defensive midfielder and we await the return of the injured men and hope Joe Williams plays his way back to full-fitness and confidence to become the player we saw last season. 

If I were "City's GP" that would be my prescription. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

I see people saying this all the time but I don’t believe that for a second though. Everything in Londons more expensive and you find half the players that sign for city end up still living down here even after they’ve transferred to another club . Our underachievements over the years purely come down to an owner blindly running the club and us not being as ambitious as others .

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

I don’t get this constant slagging of SL, all he’s done is constantly financially backed our managers, it’s not him who identifies and decides that this or that player is worth x amount of millions, he would be  backing NP now if it weren’t for FFP (not that I would have much faith in NP considering some of the players he has bought in) I would love to know peoples idea of a realistic alternative for SL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Posh do it as well to a lesser extent . Constantly picking up gems at low cost & selling high . A club that size shouldn’t be getting in & out of the championship as much as they have over the last 10-15 years , but they do because they have a strong playing structure. 
just the memory of the clubs in the bag quote from Johnson senior that ended up with a overblown lop sided over paid squad that ended in disastrous relegation . He learnt nothing from that even though it cost him £50m of his own money . He the then repeats it with LJ & here we are again. The bloke is bloody clueless football wise 

Posh have managed to unearth a gem of a centre forward for as long as I can remember and who often fires them to promotion, it’s crazy if you look at the CF’s that have played for them in the last 20 years

3 minutes ago, harrys said:

I don’t get this constant slagging of SL, all he’s done is constantly financially backed our managers, it’s not him who identifies and decides that this or that player is worth x amount of millions, he would be  backing NP now if it weren’t for FFP (not that I would have much faith in NP considering some of the players he has bought in) I would love to know peoples idea of a realistic alternative for SL

He allowed us to be in a poor ffp position by his poor running of the club and his poor choices when hiring people . 

people always bang on about what we would be without him but just look at the clubs that have had way more success than us 

swindon , Cardiff , Swansea , Brentford, Ipswich, Wigan , Bolton just to name a few and yes some are in the lower leagues now but none of those would swap their achievements to be like Bristol city.

• Like 2

We’ve played well for long periods in games. Losing twice by the odd goal largely due to individual errors. 

The playing side isn’t perfect but it’s not that bad. Yes we get put on the back foot for long periods and we all expect to give up a goal at any moment but we are three games in to a 46 games season and in the next round of the cup. We are developing local lads and youngsters from across the country in order to comply with FFP rules and that’s where we stand. If we are in a relegation battle by January then there might be major changes, but any amount of moaning now won’t change anything. 

This thread has the title Pearson but has become as much about Steve Lansdown. I agree with some stuff, particularly where it concerns Johnson’s spending and the mystifying appointments of both him and Holden. Mr Lansdown is at fault there and the hole we find ourselves with FFP. However he does back his man until failure is achieved. Another reason Mr Pearson is going nowhere. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, harrys said:

Jesus H.

He’s the owner who allowed our wage bill to spiral to 212% against turnover. 

Even allowing for covid, that’s a monumental case of eyes off the ball. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

I got gas mates (sadly) one of them was laughing during the week because he said he’d be willing to sell. Yes he’s rebuilt the ground & training ground but on the pitch where it matters. For the amount of money he’s put into the playing side of things he’s failed miserably . He’s no Harry Dolman in that respect 

What are they laughing about? They think Lansdown would sell his prized asset that he’s been working on for countless years to any old billionaire? He’d make sure we were sold to good people & we’d probably be in a better position than now.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I knew we would get back to Danny Simpson in the end.

He was a mistake, Pearson realised it, so brought in Tanner & let him go. According to some he was on an incredibly low salary. Andy King this year will have resigned on a very similar sum.

Under LJ we paid a million for Marley Watkins who was on £15k a week, he started 10 games for us in 3 years & left for free.

£600k for Hakeeb Adelakun, £9k a week, 5 starts in 3 seasons, left for free..

Million for Liam Walsh, 8 starts, left for free.

But “Danny Simpson”, eh?

Fair comment and my post was after a few beers and a long day at Wigan! But my point was more the fact he’s opposed to  loans but not short term contracts. We’ve used the loan market well in the past and are clearly in need of improvements currently. The Everton lad up front for Sunderland last week a prime example of the kind of player we should be going for imo. 

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

...as I said before, read the preceding pages. You're not opening a can of worms...it was opened on page 1. 

The idea that LJ should still be here is laughable. Even his patron and greatest admirer saw through him eventually! Pity it took so long.

are we any better though, are we a positive respective club in the championship.

1 hour ago, glynriley said:

So he’s signed 7-8 players in his tenure. See my post above yours, LJ signed 17 in one season. Hardly comparing like for like. 

And I wouldn’t mind betting there were one or two he may have wanted to keep but couldn’t from a financial perspective  

I’m as frustrated as anyone with our failure to look more solid at the back, but it’s chalk and cheese. 

Idk why you are comparing LJ to NP at all though. LJ overspent. NP is spending appropriately. He isn’t being treated to a wage bill that is bottom of the division. 

I agree there are probably a few scenarios where we had to let someone go or sign someone who wasn't target number 1 but this is back to normality after the calamity of Ashton. NP has signed players he has wanted. He has said he won’t sign anyone that won’t improve the side. At the minute he has signed 7-8 and largely we are the same. Plenty of comparable sized clubs in the same division who need to be frugal who are consistently better than us. 

I am balanced on my views. This is not an ideal scenario for NP or the club. We let a couple of individuals get us in a horrible mess at the worst time. I can say that. I can also say NP is leaving a lot to be desired in terms of performances and results too. I am not giving him all the credit when we also have a new CEO assisting with the clear out as well. Great job getting the wage bill down but this was happening with or without Pearson. I’m not sure who has left on a free that we would have loved to keep and would sign for terms we could afford. So not sure why credit is being dished out for that. 

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, City oz said:

Might open a can of worms here but if LJ was still with us would be in a better position than we are in now.

Couldn't disagree more. We're partly in this position because of the silly spending he made on players who made us worse. 

Pearson would have loved the money to spend that LJ had

1 hour ago, City oz said:

we are still not where we should be. I do not know what the answer is or claim to be an expert. 

I looked at the match replays against Coventry in the week and noticed the young kids in our section running to the fence line so excited we were scoring goals, they were jumping up and down and the 350 or so that were there were singing their bloody heads off. It is a shame this maybe only happening in the cup and not the championship.

There was some success in the LJ earlier seasons but not sure what better resources he had.

Financially LJ had massive resources compared to NP. I like LJ as well and can’t decide if was party to the mess or it was all Ashton. I’d like to have seen LJ with a strict budget but he got everything he wanted. Some success? Yes but success to money spent ratio is probably below NP. 

2 hours ago, City oz said:

Top Robin I totally agree with you. Listening today NP is starting to repeat himself on various web sites. " I-am frustrated and disappointed with some of the official decisions and our inability to stay a head when we are winning"

The last two years we all think give him a chance. How many chances does he get ?. We finished 17th last season and with even taking on board the pre season friendlies it looks like no improvement on 17th again as what have we seen that is better.

NP  in his earlier years was a fair to great defender at Shrewsbury, Middlesborough and Sheffield Wednesday in his playing days. Later being successful with Leicester City but will it happen at BS3?? 

Time for NP to hang up his boots and hand back the keys to his car and office if we are all honest as it looks like we will struggle again this season. I feel sorry for all the fans that week in and week out turn up and leave disappointed where their expectations have diminished.

Not sure who can replace NP but something needs to happen or take place where some wins are on the board in the next few weeks.

Can any one on here honestly say we are in a better position now than in season 2019/20

Issue being we have weapons on socials saying get Corboran (Ian Gray for example) and others actually having the audacity to mention Dyche.

The aboslute Womble should be aware the former is already at Olympiakos, but then he thinks he's god gift to football debates.

I don't see who replaces Pearson. Better sometimes the evil you know than the one you don't. It may be we appoint a renowned coach rather than a manager from youth levels with the younger squad we have (Swansea with Cooper for example).

We have an owner who isn't interested and ultimately at fault for our current position.

The most realistic are Lee Bowyer, David Wagner, and Tony Mowbray, if we want championship experience.

Otherwise it's then outside shouts like Roy Keane, Xabi Alonso, or Philip Cocu.

However, with it being us, the most realistic proposition is Euell getting the managers post.

Edited by Fuber

39 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

I see people saying this all the time but I don’t believe that for a second though. Everything in Londons more expensive and you find half the players that sign for city end up still living down here even after they’ve transferred to another club . Our underachievements over the years purely come down to an owner blindly running the club and us not being as ambitious as others .

Then why is it that we're the biggest club in the south west, sitting in the lower half of the championship? 

Edited by P'head Red

25 minutes ago, harrys said:

I think the point some are making is the perception that SL has personally intervened in selecting managers (as he is entitled to do as the owner) and they have ultimately proved to be failures; and set us back years. The following spring to mind with three of them being internal appointments - Coppellll, Tinnion, Millen, Holden. LJ was also pereived to be an SL appointment.

And Ashton as CEO (who effectively stabbed him in the back).

8 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I think the point some are making is the perception that SL has personally intervened in selecting managers (as he is entitled to do as the owner) and they have ultimately proved to be failures; and set us back years. The following spring to mind with three of them being internal appointments - Coppellll, Tinnion, Millen, Holden. LJ was also pereived to be an SL appointment.

And Ashton as CEO (who effectively stabbed him in the back).

Tinnion (City legend)and Holden (cheap & continuity option) were poor but understandable appointments at the time, can’t remember anyone complaining when Coppell was appointed, LJ had his moments but ultimately should of been sacked at least 12 earlier, Millen was just hopeless, funnily enough the one manager who got the most stick on this forum when appointed was Cotterill, the fact is that most managerial appointments are failures and most managers get the sack

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

I get that to a extent but how are we better off ? Because of the ground ? Training ground ? On the pitch we’re going backwards . People will say oh sir Steve keeps bailing us out financially . Yes he does , but he’s constantly bailing out his own mistakes . It’s so Bristol city to get a local billionaire in charge of us that knows bugger all about the sport he’s involved in . If I or many on here had , had the chance to pump the money in he has then I would of known first & foremost to define a playing philosophy the club adheres to from first team & right through the academy . Get the best scouting network affordable . Football wise he’s just stumbled his way along . We get promoted , identify the players we want to make us stronger & what happens , our CEO at the time (not Ashton) tries to renegotiate contracts . He promptly lost his job & rightly so , but how did Lansdown ever let that happen . We had a good squad & looked good to kick on with signings we wanted but no . We end up going backwards . Poor planning by ”sir Steve”  yet again 

We went bankrupt in 1982!  How much worse could things have got?!  We are a transformed club now, even if mistakes have been made along the way.