IGNORED

Pearson

Top Robin

8 minutes ago, harrys said:

Tinnion (City legend)and Holden (cheap & continuity option) were poor but understandable appointments at the time, can’t remember anyone complaining when Coppell was appointed, LJ had his moments but ultimately should of been sacked at least 12 earlier, Millen was just hopeless, funnily enough the one manager who got the most stick on this forum when appointed was Cotterill, the fact is that most managerial appointments are failures and most managers get the sack

That’s definitely true throughout the football industry worldwide.

The only English based managers that I can think of never to be sacked is Wenger and Pep. 

3 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

At their worst I think their reigns are very similar. LJ had better highs though but 1000% had better resources. 

I don’t really mind how we play. We just don’t feel as organised as we should to me. When we do press it doesn’t feel as if it is as a unit. When we sit deeper I get a sense our cms and wide cbs are not always sure where to be at times. Think playing a Martin is logical when he is at his best but for me he is playing too much. His performances drop significantly as the game wears on. 

I guess my point is, I don’t feel as if we are miles away from being a competitive side. A team that could ultimately finish 13-16th but probably never more than 7-10 points from playoffs through 40-42 games. Problem is think we have been quite close to that for awhile now but we still haven’t made the last little adjustments. So much to be optimistic about going into the season and despite a couple key injuries which do not help, can’t help but feel they’d just cover up a few of the cracks instead of completing us.

Yep, little things to work on.  We sometimes got the press working well yesterday, and others it looked haphazard, not triggered properly.  On a hot day that saps energy.  But at least it is something that can be worked on.

3 hours ago, headhunter said:

Half the salary bill to bring it more in line with Millwall, Luton, PNE & Blackpool?

But with a small group of players taking up a disproportionate percentage of that budget.  If our playing budget is below £18m, then Kalas, Dasilva, Bentley, Wells and Massengo are taking up a third of it! Budget might be more in line with those clubs Dave, but not created in the sane way.  That’s the difference.  Lopsided wage bill. Why do you think Nige wants to address that?

And when we’ve had 3,4,5 years of working to a sensible budget we can see how we compare.

2 hours ago, City oz said:

Might open a can of worms here but if LJ was still with us would be in a better position than we are in now.

LJ would never work under this budget.  It’s now less than the wages / playing budget he started 17/18 with, which also had significant FFP headroom to recruit.  We spent £12m that summer, plus the wage bill increase.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, little things to work on.  We sometimes got the press working well yesterday, and others it looked haphazard, not triggered properly.  On a hot day that saps energy.  But at least it is something that can be worked on.

But with a small group of players taking up a disproportionate percentage of that budget.  If our playing budget is below £18m, then Kalas, Dasilva, Bentley, Wells and Massengo are taking up a third of it! Budget might be more in line with those clubs Dave, but not created in the sane way.  That’s the difference.  Lopsided wage bill. Why do you think Nige wants to address that?

And when we’ve had 3,4,5 years of working to a sensible budget we can see how we compare.

LJ would never work under this budget.  It’s now less than the wages / playing budget he started 17/18 with, which also had significant FFP headroom to recruit.  We spent £12m that summer, plus the wage bill increase.

Think I’m with you on the Pearson situation, think as a club we’ve made a decision to stick with NP to get us through this difficult period financially. NP is clearly accepting of our ‘budget’ and is supportive of promoting the youngesters. You only need to look at our recruitment and how many players have we paid a fee for? Atkinson? He’s clearly reduced the wage bill as demonstrated by SL’s comments, and his comments appear to contradict the many on here’s view that James & King are on substantial wages. Interesting to hear that looks like weinmann is off so interesting to see what budget NP will be given. 
The club is a mess , and for me one person is responsible 

Edited by daored
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BITW said:

Fair comment and my post was after a few beers and a long day at Wigan! But my point was more the fact he’s opposed to  loans but not short term contracts. We’ve used the loan market well in the past and are clearly in need of improvements currently. The Everton lad up front for Sunderland last week a prime example of the kind of player we should be going for imo. 

Fair play for the reply.

The thing with loans is they are invariably far more expensive than giving a free transfer like King a one year deal.

There is a loan fee, an expectation that they play a % of games or a penalty clause kicks in, plus of course the players’ wages.

Ryan Kent was a classic example of this where we ended up shelling out a fortune for minimal football.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t explore the market, but we definitely need another departure first.

8 minutes ago, daored said:

On one of the Podvacts this morning stated a significant incoming bid which club unlikely to turn down - no other details given 

Yes I heard this a few days ago and alluded to it in another thread. The offer would have to be very significant but the lad is in the form of his life and a shot at the prem or another big league will turn his and the clubs head. 

Regarding NP’s comments on refereeing you have to admit we don’t seem to get many of the 50/50 decisions - or even 60/40.

The penalty at Hull was a joke

The penalty yesterday was one that VAR probably wouldn’t over turn if it had been given, and wouldn’t have given it if it hadnt been awarded by the ref.

The sending off yesterday was as clear as day - the Wigan guy kicked out, and, made contact with JW - there is only one outcome the Rules say should happen - that’s a Red Card - absolutely no explanation as to why it wasn’t!

City could easily have won at least two of their first three games - I thought Ellis Simms (Sunderland) was awesome at times, but if Chris Martin had converted the tap in that game could easily have been 3-3. We could be sat here with 7 points.

Some of the kids coming through look really good and on any other day Tommy Conway converts the header yesterday and we win 2-1.

Everything is definitely not doom and gloom - I’m looking forward to the next two homes games!

Lets hope for some more positive play, decent defending and ref’s who don’t bottle making the correct decisions!

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Yes I heard this a few days ago and alluded to it in another thread. The offer would have to be very significant but the lad is in the form of his life and a shot at the prem or another big league will turn his and the clubs head. 

Certainly couldn’t blame him - didn’t he take a pay cut to stay here ?

• Like 2

Just now, daored said:

Certainly couldn’t blame him - didn’t he take a pay cut to stay here ?

Yep he did. City were not going to take up the one year extension but got him for three years on a new contract. 

Whatever anyone thinks about Pearson this guy has had nothing but benefit since he came in. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

It would be a real blow if we were to lose Weimann, just caught up on the transfer thread as well and it seems rumours of an incoming bid for Semenyo is being muted in the press.

It may be a busy last couple of weeks of the window and could we conceivably lose Semenyo, weimann and potentially Wells?

34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Also remember that in his first transfer window LJ (and Ashton) benefitted from a £15 million boost with sale of Kodjia, while still managing to sell Ayling for a pittance. And even then, they spent a significant amount of that straightaway on the likes of Tomlin, when the core of the team for the next 2 years was actually inherited from Cotterill. Look at that successful 2017/18 team and only a few were Ashton and LJ choices - most were part of the “League 1 Galaticos of 2014/15.”  

The problem Pearson has inherited is a squad assembled at significant cost and high wages for this level, who are not significantly better than others have managed at much less cost. The pandemic and then the wider financial situation has upended the “bring “em in cheap(er) and sell them on at huge profit” policy, which was always risky anyway because no one has ever had a 100% success rate with it and we have been caught with our pants down when the music stopped. This in a financial landscape where only Premier League clubs have money for transfer fees, with most of the bigger ones looking for talent from overseas, leaving perhaps just 10 or so clubs looking out for domestic talent from the Championship. The only way that the “selling club” policy makes financial sense now is developing youth talent coming from the Academy and moving them on at an appropriate time, with the relevant sell-on clauses, but even then that is a lottery because it’s now a buyer’s rather than a seller’s market.

On that basis, I would suggest that Pearson hasn’t done a bad job of bringing on young talent from our own ranks, buying players from Leagues 1 and 2 (Atkinson, Sykes, Wilson) and picking up free transfers/out of contract players (Naismith, Klose) the question is  whether he can fashion a successful team from them. We have looked pretty good in the first half of every game so far this season, so the rest of your outlook depends on whether you are glass half full or half empty person. For some on here at the moment, it’s more like a quarter full and someone’s pi$$ed in it!

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Fair play for the reply.

The thing with loans is they are invariably far more expensive than giving a free transfer like King a one year deal.

There is a loan fee, an expectation that they play a % of games or a penalty clause kicks in, plus of course the players’ wages.

Ryan Kent was a classic example of this where we ended up shelling out a fortune for minimal football.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t explore the market, but we definitely need another departure first.

I largely agree with this but will play Devil's Advocate a little.

Can we not tap Leicester for some favours in the loan market? NP yes I know he was sacked but he should be highly thought of there,.

Secondly, Stoke this and last season despite seemingly being up against it FFP wise seem to have no such problem with PL and the odd foreign loanee. See also Nottingham Forest last year- thought their FFP position coming into 2021/22 was not dissimilar to ours and perhaps a bit worse. Then they signed varied loanees, sacked one manager, paid some compensation for Cooper I believe. Reading's loanees for their financial position have been off the charts.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Wasn’t it Ian Gay who said this though?

His source is 70% reliable….another made up stat. ?

Whenever a player is linked, he will always say “my source is telling me we are in for them”.  I’ve never heard him once say “my source tells me it’s bullshit”….much easier to pretend to be ITK by piggybacking on a rumour.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That’s definitely true throughout the football industry worldwide.

The only English based managers that I can think of never to be sacked is Wenger and Pep. 

Yep, if you look at the prem there are practically none of them that have never been sacked:

Steve Cooper

Eddie Howe

Erik Ten Haag (Yet)

Jurgen Klopp

Mikel Arteta

Scott Parker

Steven Gerrard

Thomas Frank

Graham Potter

Hens teeth, I tell you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yep, if you look at the prem there are practically none of them that have never been sacked:

Steve Cooper

Eddie Howe

Erik Ten Haag (Yet)

Jurgen Klopp

Mikel Arteta

Scott Parker

Steven Gerrard

Thomas Frank

Graham Potter

Hens teeth, I tell you.

But apart from them, who?

?

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Whenever a player is linked, he will always say “my source is telling me we are in for them”.  I’ve never heard him once say “my source tells me it’s bullshit”….much easier to pretend to be ITK by piggybacking on a rumour.

If Weimann goes we’re in big big trouble, how much does a 30 year old get? 5-7m? Pointless 

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ian Gay is the most pessimistic City ‘fan’ that I’ve ever met and I’m convinced that he makes up loads of bullshit as you quite rightly say.

Must be an attempt to appear that he’s got special inside information that’s not accessible to anyone else - that of course strokes his already inflated ego.

What really irritates me with him is his constant knocking of Nige with ‘facts’ all of which have no reasoned context whatsoever.

He refuses to post on here because he reckons we have no idea about what’s really going on………:cool2: but the truth is it’s because his views and opinions would get ripped to shreds on here.

• Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Rob k said:

If Weimann goes we’re in big big trouble, how much does a 30 year old get? 5-7m? Pointless 

The problem is that for the amount we might get for Weimann, there is no chance that we will manage to replace him with anyone near as good. We would lose 20 goals per season, plus a decent number of assists at a stroke, and given our defensive frailties, we need to score consistently to get anything from a game at the moment. The thing to remember is that he has come good under Pearson, who has played him in his best position, just behind a central striker, plus they have a professional relationship that goes back years. 

I wouldn’t begrudge Weimann a move for that last chance at playing in the Premier League again or even going to the Bundesliga, because he is in the form of his life, including even resurrecting his international career. That goal against France at least added a decent chunk to his value. The question for him would be would he be played in the same way anywhere else, because as we and the fans of other clubs where he has played know that if you shunt him out wide, he won’t be half as effective.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Funny you should ask. Apparently it’s only Wenger and Pep who haven’t been sacked. The good folk of Monaco will, indeed, be shocked.

6EA46602-DFF0-4A78-94CE-74B5B5044E94.jpeg

Bloody facts, eh?

Pretty sure if you trawled through the divisions & time, you’d find loads of other examples. 

I can hear the response already, I only meant in the Prem, shrug emoji..

He’s almost in the same territory as Rolf Harris these days, but Dario Gradi at Crewe is another..

15 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Funny you should ask. Apparently it’s only Wenger and Pep who haven’t been sacked. The good folk of Monaco will, indeed, be shocked.

6EA46602-DFF0-4A78-94CE-74B5B5044E94.jpeg

Does it really matter? My post was to agree that all managers get sacked at some point. I used Wenger and Pep as examples of neither of them having been sacked.

What has impressed me tho Silvio is the amount of effort you must have put in to research both Wenger and Pep management record to prove me wrong on one of them………….:clap:

23 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Does it really matter? My post was to agree that all managers get sacked at some point. I used Wenger and Pep as examples of neither of them having been sacked.

What has impressed me tho Silvio is the amount of effort you must have put in to research both Wenger and Pep management record to prove me wrong on one of them………….:clap:

‘Only ones I can think of’ or along those lines 

Suggests poor knowledge or lack of research Robbo ?