IGNORED

Bentley

bcfc01

How much longer will NP put up with Bentleys absolutely crap distribution ?

He is one of the major reasons we always end up defending so deep imo.

Hoofing it anywhere upfield to get the ball as far away from his goal as he can, only to see it come right back.

They really need to drum it into him - use the ball, contribute to starting an attack, or at least a bit of possession. 

That was awful from him today.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Or we could just not be so negative and play forward rather than constantly go back to Bentley?

Poor tactics and lack of bottle from the players which causes too many negative back passes. 

This.

We do not have the players to play ‘total football’. We are not Manchester City.

We look much more solid going more direct, rather than playing a possession based game. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Or we could just not be so negative and play forward rather than constantly go back to Bentley?

Poor tactics and lack of bottle from the players which causes too many negative back passes. 

Going backwards isn't negative = The EPL's top back passers will be playing in the Champions league. The possession is positional and purposeful.

The flaw for BCFC is players are not moving off the trigger (the back pass) into relational distances quickly enough. It becomes possession football in one zone that is inefficient positional play that is nullified. 

Edited by Cowshed

30 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

This.

We do not have the players to play ‘total football’. We are not Manchester City.

We look much more solid going more direct, rather than playing a possession based game. 

Haven’t got the players to play direct either. Aside from Martin there’s no one to win headers up the pitch.

55 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Hoofing it anywhere upfield to get the ball as far away from his goal as he can, only to see it come right back.

They really need to drum it into him - use the ball, contribute to starting an attack, or at least a bit of possession. 

Wasn’t that why Max got an extended run last season? And, for what it’s worth, we looked more comfortable in possession during that time IMO. 

I’ve got a bigger issue with Bentley flapping at the corner from which they scored today, on the back of two saveable goals shipped last weekend. 

Over-rated and needs to be moved on IMO.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Probably as long as he keeps saving us from our crap defence

40 minutes ago, tin said:

Wasn’t that why Max got an extended run last season? And, for what it’s worth, we looked more comfortable in possession during that time IMO. 

I’ve got a bigger issue with Bentley flapping at the corner from which they scored today, on the back of two saveable goals shipped last weekend. 

I think max plays as a proper sweeper keeper. Bentley is comfortable on the ball, but it is always passed back to him in the area - when max played he stepped up received outside the box and was like an actual sweeper. This let everyone else step up. I think he is actually better for our overall play, but Bentley is the better keeper. reminds me of Joe Hart and Bravo at Man City - I think Hart was a better keeper (shot stopping etc), but bravo understood how to play as part of the system. It felt like Bentley got better when he came back in for Max, but I don't think that area of his game has progressed. 

1 hour ago, tin said:

Max did get an extended run but for all his distribution qualities, he was not very good tbh , rooted to his line for many goals , big relief when Bentley came back 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

Going backwards isn't negative = The EPL's top back passers will be playing in the Champions league. The possession is positional and purposeful.

The flaw for BCFC is players are not moving off the trigger (the back pass) into relational distances quickly enough. It becomes possession football in one zone that is inefficient positional play that is nullified. 

True. Lazy midfielders marking themselves by not finding space to receive. 
Funny how the best passing teams make it look like theyve got more players simply because of better movement. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KegCity said:

Haven’t got the players to play direct either. Aside from Martin there’s no one to win headers up the pitch.

I don’t necessarily mean playing to Martin every time. We can go to the channels as the other option.

I guess what I am trying to say is, we need a plan B and a plan C - plan A works for about 35 minutes… then the oppo suss us out!

• Like 1

When I use to play, to be able to pass the ball, you had to A) have someone want it & B) have someone move to a position ( with intent!) that creates the angle for the ball carrier to be able to pass it. Now I know the game is full of stats & phases now, but it’s still the same bloody simple game. As with anything, you have to get the basics right first. Bentley is one of our lesser problems I would say. COYR 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nickolas said:

It's not just the matter of passbacks.

A counter attacking style which we are leaning on requires quick distribution by it's very nature. Even at this level Bent's distribution is pretty damn poor compared to other keepers in the league (Bachmann, Bursik, Steffen, Nicholls, Johansson).

21 minutes ago, Keepers Ball said:

Well if he could do all the things you want as well as shot stopping he wouldn't be here. 

Call me old school but I prefer my Goalkeepers to protect the goal. That's what they are there for.

Bents is currently 22nd for save percentage compared to shots faced in the league.

1 hour ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Basically it's the Tom Heaton argument rehashed. He went on to play in the Prem and England. 

We as a club and fans in general don't know when we have a good thing and will try and scapegoat anything, because we're too pissed off to see the woods from the trees. 

I don't know what that argument was, but did we have him on loan from Cardiff and he decided against joining us on a perm?

13 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

Not too sure what he was doing with todays goal we conceded? ?‍♂️

Like DB but seemed at fault today?

I assumed this was what this thread would be about, he is all over the place. It looks like he came for the ball, never got near it and then was diving in all directions as everything pinballed around him.

14 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

I don’t necessarily mean playing to Martin every time. We can go to the channels as the other option.

I guess what I am trying to say is, we need a plan B and a plan C - plan A works for about 35 minutes… then the oppo suss us out!

There’s nobody out wide to win the ball when we go long and there’s only one player up front who’ll win it. Dasilva isn’t winning the header, Sykes or Wilson are both going to struggle. Play the ball on the floor.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KegCity said:

There’s nobody out wide to win the ball when we go long and there’s only one player up front who’ll win it. Dasilva isn’t winning the header, Sykes or Wilson are both going to struggle. Play the ball on the floor.

I meant playing in to space behind their back line, though I’ll concede a lack of pace in our side makes this also a less than perfect strategy.

I guess we have a difference of opinion, which is ok. I just think we’re trying to play on the deck, and when that doesn’t work we run out of ideas. Being able to go a bit more direct, at least as an option, seems prudent to me :shrug: