IGNORED

Powerboat Racing

Bristol Rob

I remember reading an article about the then World Champion Billy Seebold when he came here for the first time. They took him around the docks and he apparently said "This is great for practice, where do we race?" :)

I was lucky enough that my dad was in the RNR and we used to go on the Venturer on race day and watch from there, talk about close up views! It was actually the smaller single hulled formula 3 and 4 boats that were the most dangerous, as the water got choppier they would bounce right out and sometimes flip over.

When quite a few times as a kid. Loved it. One year a friend of the family got us into the corporate hospitality and they had a spare boat there you could get in. Honestly, i've seen more convincing entries on Red Bull soap box race and this thing went over 100mph!

Not the exact boat but you may remember the sponsor and colours if you did go.

Flickriver: Photoset 'London Docks Powerboat GP Royal Victoria Docks August  1985' by Antsphoto

I remember going to watch that  ,was so dangerous ,no wonder it didnt last too long . I was opposite the ambulance that took away one of the fatalities . Sickening to see ,never went back to watch it after that ,think it may have been the last year anyway . Dont those races normally take place in wide open water  ?

On 13/08/2022 at 17:57, Bristol Rob said:

Talk of balloons got me thinking back to other stuff thar went on in Bristol when I was a young 'un.

Just watched this.

Haven't things changed.

(If you just want to watch a non fatal crash, that is towards the end of the video, you ghoul).

I remember watching it with my gran, late 70s, early 80s. Somebody usually crashed and died

22 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I remember watching it with my gran, late 70s, early 80s. Somebody usually crashed and died

That is pretty impressive to read that your grandmother was still attending powerboat racing at such an advanced age, although slightly disappointing that you were unable to remember her exact age.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

That is pretty impressive to read that your grandmother was still attending powerboat racing at such an advanced age, although slightly disappointing that you were unable to remember her exact age.

she was born in 1905, so would've been between 72 and 78. My gran used to take us everywhere around Bristol (on the bus or make us walk miles).

• Like 1