IGNORED

Conways miss & the penalty…

BCFC1512

All ifs and buts. 
Bad teams blame officials. 

Its a competitive division. Every team can beat the other on any given day. 
So every game is a fine line. You just gotta be on the right side of that line. And if you’re poorly organised or not as fit as you’re opponent, or make more errors than your opponent, then more often than not you’ll be on the wrong side of that fine line. 

If we start to point the finger at a couple of poor refereeing calls, we’ll lose the focus on our own deficiencies. Which are plentiful. 

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

20 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

If Conway scores and/or we get the pen it’s a totally different atmosphere on here tonight!! It’s a fine line in this league! Win Tuesday and today won’t seem a bad point.

IFs and FINE LINES

This club is all IFs and FINE LINES

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Harry said:

All ifs and buts. 

So every game is a fine line. You just gotta be on the right side of that line. And if you’re poorly organised or not as fit as you’re opponent, or make more errors than your opponent, then more often than not you’ll be on the wrong side of that fine line. 

If we start to point the finger at a couple of poor refereeing calls, we’ll lose the focus on our own deficiencies. Which are plentiful. 

The red card is a joke though.

15 minutes ago, Harry said:

All ifs and buts. 

Competitive league, indeed….a point away is a point gained, whatever anyone might think.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

As I said on the match thread, the Wigan player could have run up and punched Williams unprovoked and got a yellow, and you'd still get contrarians defending it and saying it shouldn't affect anything.

The same contrarians who would crying like babies about it if they had their choice of Manager in charge (although not many realistic names being bandied about). Oh, sorry, Dyche???

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

The penalty was a marginal one, the red card is a joke.

I’m still struggling with this “it all evens itself out” stuff, though.

Just back and haven’t had the benefit of watching them again, but

The first pen call I did see again, it was replayed on the big screen at the ground, and it didn’t look any more than 50/50. The defender stayed upright and that always makes one less likely. 

From a long way away I felt we had a better call for one when Conway hit the side netting. The defender went to ground then and seemed to catch him.

The red card that wasn’t. From 100m away it looked as clear a red card as they come. The only possibility was that both ref and linesman missed it. The fact that a card was given confirms they didn’t, so it was, as you say, a complete joke.

And although we don’t necessarily capitalise playing against 10 men, you have to say that in todays heat, and for that long, it would have made a huge, huge impact today. 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Harry said:

All ifs and buts. 

Criticising officials and blaming them are two different things though.  The standard has been consistently poor in all 4 games this season.  Could things have turned out differently in each match.  Sure they could.  The fact is that we have conceded in periods of the matches where we're playing poorly and defending for our lives and in that respect we are our own worst enemy irrespective of the officials. 

But any of the big calls given correctly will have changed the face of the game and given us a boost.  The second pen shout - if that was outside the area then that's a free kick being given all day long.  The red would have given them a lot more to do. 

Did we lose because of the officials? No.  Could they have helped us win the match by doing their job properly? Absolutely.  There has to be accountability on all sides.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Of course it wasn't. The penalty we should have had at Hull the other week when Atkinson was rugby tackled from a corner wasn't either.

I’ve watched that one back a few times and I don’t think it was a penalty. Certainly, I can see why it wasn’t given. 

14 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Criticising officials and blaming them are two different things though.  The standard has been consistently poor in all 4 games this season.  Could things have turned out differently in each match.  Sure they could.  The fact is that we have conceded in periods of the matches where we're playing poorly and defending for our lives and in that respect we are our own worst enemy irrespective of the officials. 

But any of the big calls given correctly will have changed the face of the game and given us a boost.  The second pen shout - if that was outside the area then that's a free kick being given all day long.  The red would have given them a lot more to do. 

Did we lose because of the officials? No.  Could they have helped us win the match by doing their job properly? Absolutely.  There has to be accountability on all sides.

And what can we control? We can’t control the officials. So I don’t see the point of putting any accountability their way when the officiating is equally as bad across the league - bad decisions and contentious calls are being seen in almost every game. 
We need to control what we can control. Not get sucked into a ‘woe is me’ mentality about officiating. That sort of mindset in these fragile players will kill us off for sure.  We haven’t had a penalty for about 7 years so I’m not expecting one any time soon. 

8 hours ago, Harry said:

I’ve watched that one back a few times and I don’t think it was a penalty. Certainly, I can see why it wasn’t given. 

And what can we control? We can’t control the officials. So I don’t see the point of putting any accountability their way when the officiating is equally as bad across the league - bad decisions and contentious calls are being seen in almost every game. 
We need to control what we can control. Not get sucked into a ‘woe is me’ mentality about officiating. That sort of mindset in these fragile players will kill us off for sure.  We haven’t had a penalty for about 7 years so I’m not expecting one any time soon. 

Also, in the unlikely event that we do get one, it must be odds on that we’d miss it now. 

I have watched the highlights a few times now and I don't think that"s a penalty from one angle it looks like the defender gets a touch on the ball first.

Sending off is clear and I would expect the assessor to really mark the ref down for that. Difficult to see how he could come to any other decision.

The miss is so annoying, he does everything right and it looks in until it bounces. I think he would score from there 90% of the time. But overall he was dynamic today, almost Wiemann like and that ball in for the goal is a beauty.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Was never a penalty.

Player reactions tell you what you need to know. No real reaction from anyone.

Red card mind…….

One the Clown got wrong. ? 

Second one on Conway was….Whatmough cleaned him out.  Makes no odds he got a shot off.

16 hours ago, Harry said:

All ifs and buts. 

Have to agree. 

It's true that in the Championship, the quality gap between the top and bottom sides is far smaller than in the PL. Anyone can more or less beat anyone - it makes for games decided on "fine lines".

BUT, our deficiencies shouldn't be disguised by these "should've/could've" arguments.  The fact is, we had to wait until the last home game of the season to watch a totally dominant City performance and the three league games this season have, like the vast majority of games last season, been ones where we've been on the back-foot for the majority of minutes.  Moments of pure class, longer ones of pure panic. 

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Second one on Conway was….Whatmough cleaned him out.  Makes no odds he got a shot off.

@Davefevscan’t recall that one. Perhaps I was tucking into my chicken balti pie - even though I’d asked for cheese and onion…..

Anyway all about angles and perspectives. 

Let me take you back to your own playing days…..

Ever come across a certain and vocal Mr M Gingell? Well he and I often had our “differences of opinion” ?

Often due to positioning. He’d be on the touch line one minute then behind the goal the next. Then he’d climb up the floodlights. 

“What are you doing up there Mr Gingell?” I asked him once.

”Getting a better view of the ******* mistakes you’re making you ******* ****” came his eloquent reply.

Wasn’t smiling when the back pocket card came out and he was removed to the clubhouse…..

God how I miss those days…… ?

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I have no doubt that if one of our players did that, he would have been sent off for certain.

The penalty decision was a bit less obvious. I've seen them given and I've seen them waved away, but again, if it was at the other end, it would probably have been given.

The referreeing has been truly shocking so far though.

Would we have beaten 10 men though?

22 hours ago, GrahamC said:

The penalty was a marginal one, the red card is a joke.

I’m still struggling with this “it all evens itself out” stuff, though.

"It all evens itself out"   is a myth perpetrated by bad referees and Teams in the Top 2 of the Table............Ha!

• Like 1