IGNORED

Squad depth - we need help but can we afford anything?

Shuffle

We named a squad of 31 players at start of the season and if we look at it realistically, we can exclude the following:

2 x GKs

Sam Pearson - been training all season with u23s so why he was given one in the first place is beyond me

Ryley Towler - who had agreed a loan to Salford but held back due to injuries, so not seen as a starter

Benarous - out until Xmas

Owers, Bell, Idenhen,  Kadji who again are unlikely to feature

in addition we have the following;

kalas/Semenyo/James - Injured

Williams - who cannot do midweek games & we have lots of them 

Massengo - who doesn’t want to be here

Realistically, we have a core of 20 people on a good day that you would realistically feel confident about starting games for us as you will always have injuries and god help us if we get suspensions.  I get we have to operate with a smaller squad but we are too light.  I hope that on3 of the younger ones that I’ve stated are unlikely to feature prove me wrong and have a breakthrough season.

I do not profess to understand FFP but are we that strapped that we cannot add a free agent or a loan signing to a beleaguered squad? I assume not as surely we would have but what a sorry state of affairs.   I was concerned like lots about squad depth but then we get Lansdown say he’s not worried by FFP & contradicted by Gould literally the next day.   Such a frustration when you think of the millions squandered!  

5 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

We named a squad of 31 players at start of the season and if we look at it realistically, we can exclude the following:

2 x GKs

Sam Pearson - been training all season with u23s so why he was given one in the first place is beyond me

Ryley Towler - who had agreed a loan to Salford but held back due to injuries, so not seen as a starter

Benarous - out until Xmas

Owers, Bell, Idenhen,  Kadji who again are unlikely to feature

in addition we have the following;

kalas/Semenyo/James - Injured

Williams - who cannot do midweek games & we have lots of them 

Massengo - who doesn’t want to be here

Realistically, we have a core of 20 people on a good day that you would realistically feel confident about starting games for us as you will always have injuries and god help us if we get suspensions.  I get we have to operate with a smaller squad but we are too light.  I hope that on3 of the younger ones that I’ve stated are unlikely to feature prove me wrong and have a breakthrough season.

I do not profess to understand FFP but are we that strapped that we cannot add a free agent or a loan signing to a beleaguered squad? I assume not as surely we would have but what a sorry state of affairs.   I was concerned like lots about squad depth but then we get Lansdown say he’s not worried by FFP & contradicted by Gould literally the next day.   Such a frustration when you think of the millions squandered!  

I have a feeling we have players lined up should somone move on, or we receive some sell on money. If not, we'll have a back up plan as make do until Jan.

• Like 4

Our dire financial situation, the result of SL giving Ashton the keys to the safe, has been explained multiple times on here by people who know what they are talking about.

And Nigel has said time and again that we are not in a position to sign players unless others leave.

Quite why the message still doesn't sink in is a mystery.

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I’ve said a few times, Massengo has to be moved on asap and that hopefully frees up some money to bring a couple in.

The kid isn’t chomping at the bit to sign and that’s his prerogative all day long but it’s also no good to us.

Somebody has to want to sign him. So far no sign anybody does. Seems clear enough to me.

• Like 2

Just now, chinapig said:

Our dire financial situation, the result of SL giving Ashton the keys to the safe, has been explained multiple times on here by people who know what they are talking about.

And Nigel has said time and again that we are not in a position to sign players unless others leave.

Quite why the message still doesn't sink in is a mystery.

No I get the message but the squad is a mess and does the Smzodics, McCallister, Bakinson money albeit not massive amounts not allow us to get a loan or a free agent ? 

Just now, chinapig said:

Somebody has to want to sign him. So far no sign anybody does. Seems clear enough to me.

We don’t know who has enquired, what money has been discussed etc. It could be nobody or there could clubs trying to pull our pants down. If nobody is interested in him it says a lot…….

1 minute ago, Shuffle said:

No I get the message but the squad is a mess and does the Smzodics, McCallister, Bakinson money albeit not massive amounts not allow us to get a loan or a free agent ? 

Loans mean loan fees so probably no on that front. Anybody who is a free agent still seems unlikely to do more than add to the numbers.

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

We don’t know who has enquired, what money has been discussed etc. It could be nobody or there could clubs trying to pull our pants down. If nobody is interested in him it says a lot…….

Nigel has said there have been no enquiries. Anybody who might want him can just wait until next summer and get him for nothing. The player has all the power in that case.

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Nigel has said there have been no enquiries. Anybody who might want him can just wait until next summer and get him for nothing. The player has all the power in that case.

You would think that someone would be prepared to pay something now if he was considered the answer to a problem rather than just a useful player to have in 12 months?

11 minutes ago, Rich said:

I have a feeling we have players lined up should somone move on, or we receive some sell on money. If not, we'll have a back up plan as make do until Jan.

We’ll, that’s it. Unfortunately nobody seems to want the players City want to offload. Massengo can be signed for nothing at the end of the season so why would any clubs make a bid now? He wasn’t even a regular starter in the team last season. As for Wells, nobody is going to pay his current salary and there’s no incentive for him to take a pay cut to leave. NP has inherited a complete mess and good old Will Shakespeare summed it up perfectly - “The sins of the father are to be laid upon the children”

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Shuffs - it probably covers the impairment of Palmer’s freebie to Cov. £875k asset value given away to get rid of a £1m wage commitment.

So doesn’t free up much I’m afraid.

it’s a bit shit ultimately but hey-ho, bigger job this season as it stands.

But over the next 3 weeks when window closes we will know the true picture.

Contract extensions or not as the case may be will make things clearer.

its a hard waiting game. 

• Like 2

To answer the OP, I don’t think it does.

For my money we are effectively running on a 23 man squad & I have the feeling that unless someone offers us telephone numbers for Scott, that is it until January.

If so we need Semenyo & Kalas back as soon as is sensible & will need to keep as many important players fit as much as possible.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

I’ve said a few times, Massengo has to be moved on asap and that hopefully frees up some money to bring a couple in.

The kid isn’t chomping at the bit to sign and that’s his prerogative all day long but it’s also no good to us.

We need a buyer though.. that is the problem.

10 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Every club in the leagues are struggling bar a few and many have done some excellent business in the loan and free market. 

People act like we’re the only club in this situation.

I think there are only 3,4,5 clubs in our situation.  Forest would’ve been had they not got promoted.

Stoke, Reading, Derby (now relegated), possibly Boro are the others in the mix.  Birmingham I’m not sure either. All the others have massive headroom either through PPs or because they’ve played within sensible budgets, e.g. Millwall. Luton, even Cardiff, etc.

So not that many really.

It bugs the hell out of me that it’s happened to us…luckily we started turning the financial oil tanker around…just takes a while.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think there are only 3,4,5 clubs in our situation.  Forest would’ve been had they not got promoted.

Stoke, Reading, Derby (now relegated), possibly Boro are the others in the mix.  Birmingham I’m not sure either. All the others have massive headroom either through PPs or because they’ve played within sensible budgets, e.g. Millwall. Luton, even Cardiff, etc.

So not that many really.

It bugs the hell out of me that it’s happened to us…luckily we started turning the financial oil tanker around…just takes a while.

Didn't Boro get alot of money for Tavernier and Spence?

• Like 2