IGNORED

On To Luton Tuesday

bcfc01

Maybe a bit soon to discuss,  but the Wigan game needs putting to bed.

Atkinson looked to hobble off so may not be available, James not available as well, and probably HNM not available, and Kalas isn't match fit. Can Williams and Martin do a Tuesday after a Saturday ? Or save them for Cardiff ? I think Williams should play.

NP seems wedded to three at the back with WBs, so:

.............................Bentley

...............Vyner  Klose  Naismith

......Wilson/Tanner  Scott  Williams  Pring

...............................Sykes

..................Weimann  Conway

Still a reasonable team for this level imo and confident of a win (as I was today tbh).

But the squad is looking thin after just three games.

Williams won’t start, NP virtually said as much pre match when discussing HNM’s absence.

I expect with James out he’ll be a sub but not a starter.

Wouldn’t be shocked to see Wells start, whether that is partnering Conway or Martin, who knows?

Even after clearing dead wood and several new signings I still think we seem way to reliant on a 3-5-2 we just don’t have the personnel to play a different system I don’t think. 

Are we good enough to play a 4-4-2 not sure we have a strong 2/partnership at CB or CM to not get overrun which got me thinking about something as close to a 442 that we may get away with…. 

King shielding back 4, retiming 3 across the middle who could be fluid and Wiemann plying just off the the striker in the hole and dropping back in when needed. Thoughts? 

Assuming Atkinson OK for Tuesday and Williams won’t play. 

866A5C72-5C0D-469C-BB5E-7A02BA9BF4D7.png

13 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Maybe a bit soon to discuss,  but the Wigan game needs putting to bed.

Atkinson looked to hobble off so may not be available, James not available as well, and probably HNM not available, and Kalas isn't match fit. Can Williams and Martin do a Tuesday after a Saturday ? Or save them for Cardiff ? I think Williams should play.

NP seems wedded to three at the back with WBs, so:

.............................Bentley

...............Vyner  Klose  Naismith

......Wilson/Tanner  Scott  Williams  Pring

...............................Sykes

..................Weimann  Conway

Still a reasonable team for this level imo and confident of a win (as I was today tbh).

But the squad is looking thin after just three games.

And you think he's going to drop CM, I doubt it,but here's hoping,

• Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, Red-Al said:

And you think he's going to drop CM, I doubt it,but here's hoping,

I really don’t get all the negativity around Chris Martin. Sure and he’ll agrees that he doesn’t score enough goals as a CF but what he does bring is vast experience and nouse. 

He bullies defenders, most of whom hate playing against him and he occupies at least one and often two defenders creating space for likes of Weimann and Conway. He also contributes when defending set plays in much the same way Famara did.

I think he’s underrated by too many posters on here,

• Like 13
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

13 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Williams won’t start, NP virtually said as much pre match when discussing HNM’s absence.

I expect with James out he’ll be a sub but not a starter.

Wouldn’t be shocked to see Wells start, whether that is partnering Conway or Martin, who knows?

Can only be Martin with Nige he wont leave him out he done jack shit yesterday but he will play.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I really don’t get all the negativity around Chris Martin. Sure and he’ll agrees that he doesn’t score enough goals as a CF but what he does bring is vast experience and nouse. 

He bullies defenders, most of whom hate playing against him and he occupies at least one and often two defenders creating space for likes of Weimann and Conway. He also contributes when defending set plays in much the same way Famara did.

I think he’s underrated by too many posters on here,

I was listening to the commentary on RB yesterday,I didn't hear CM name more than twice, as I recall 

I don’t mind Martin starting up front as he does act as a foil for Weimann, occupying and tiring defenders. However, by 60 minutes he’s usually looking puffed, which is when I would be liking to bring on Wells as a completely different and more pacy opponent for the now somewhat tired defenders to deal with. The fact Nige rarely subs Martin and usually gives Wells less than 5 minutes (including injury time) is the bit that baffles me, especially as we are supposedly a team that prefers to counter attack, which should suit Wells just fine.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Only by the negative bed wetters who crave instant success.

Instant success :laugh:. probably one of the funniest yet deluded posts i have heard in many a long year and believe me I have been here a long time. I'm almost speechless which for me takes some doing that somebody could come on here and criticise fans that have been waiting years if not decades for any kind of "succsess" 

Edited by pillred
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Is there a point that when you’ve sharpened a knife so far, it becomes more blunt, or in fact just disappears? ?

My sharpener is still in the drawer. He’s got till Xmas unless we start becoming adrift at the bottom to show that he can (a) get a team defending well and (b) get his team performing more consistently on the whole. I know you are big fan of Nige but even you have admitted to being surprised at the start to the season (I’m paraphrasing).  Will certainly be interesting to see the end of the transfer window. 

2 hours ago, pillred said:

Instant success :laugh:. probably one of the funniest yet deluded posts i have heard in many a long year and believe me I have been here a long time. I'm almost speechless which for me takes some doing that somebody could come on here and criticise fans that have been waiting years if not decades for any kind of "succsess" 

In the past 7 years we have won a league and cup double, been to a major Semi Final, produced an England European Cup winner and maintained one of our longest spells in the second tier of English football. That is a pretty successful cycle for a club of our stature. If by Success you mean playing in the top flight, don't hold your breath the last gap was 65 years, this one is 42 and counting. I would love to know what your idea of success is ?

3 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

In the past 7 years we have won a league and cup double, been to a major Semi Final, produced an England European Cup winner and maintained one of our longest spells in the second tier of English football. That is a pretty successful cycle for a club of our stature. If by Success you mean playing in the top flight, don't hold your breath the last gap was 65 years, this one is 42 and counting. I would love to know what your idea of success is ?

Do you mean winning what is in effect the 3rd division title and a cup competition that is restricted to the bottom two divisions? yes the League cup semi was a nice surprise I'm sorry but in my opinion we have massively under performed compared to too many clubs to mention and asking for instant success, well being more competitive in the division we currently find ourselves in would do for a start. 

4 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

If the club insist on charging premier league prices, despite repeated calls from supporters for some cheaper tickets, then some signs of progress towards at least a PO challenge isn’t unreasonable.

6 hours ago, luke_bristol said:

If the club insist on charging premier league prices, despite repeated calls from supporters for some cheaper tickets, then some signs of progress towards at least a PO challenge isn’t unreasonable.

£12.50 tickets available last week. How cheap do you want them to be ?

7 hours ago, pillred said:

Do you mean winning what is in effect the 3rd division title and a cup competition that is restricted to the bottom two divisions? yes the League cup semi was a nice surprise I'm sorry but in my opinion we have massively under performed compared to too many clubs to mention and asking for instant success, well being more competitive in the division we currently find ourselves in would do for a start. 

A few years ago we finished 8th so by your own measure we have been successful recently and you have therefore not had to wait years or even decades for 'success.'

We would all like to see better football and a push for the playoffs but to say we have had no ' success' for decades is nonsense.