IGNORED

Annoying things people say in football chat on otib..

The dastardly red

1 hour ago, The Horse With No Name said:

It annoys me when posters refer to players by their initials, ie TM has a year left on his contract. There was one the other day had me scratching my head for ages till it turned out to be a typo. 

It’s just a way to shorten the name to save time! But agree pointless if nobody knows who it is…

31 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Presser , no it is a press conference, using this does not make you appear more knowledgeable or in the know  

Industry term, innit, but I take your point.

Going back to the OP, what you so rarely read on here, but always restores your faith in human intelligence when you do, is when someone starts the thread arguing one point of view, but then has his or her mind changed by what others have posted and acknowledges it.  It seems to me, there's something about social media and making posts to strangers that stops many people being able to compromise and back down from set positions. Chatting with your mates in the pub, you are much more likely to change your mind or concede that the opposing view has something going for it. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

58 minutes ago, HitchinRed said:

Post after post after post that just agrees with or repeats a previous post.

A single thread can have tens of pages, but it gets really difficult to actually find the key points that are being made.

If you agree with a post, just use the voting button, and only reply to it if you have a fresh point to make.

I agree ?

Actually, one that irritates me is, when someone DOES agree with a post, they type “This”. 

Edited by Southport Red

When talking about hooligans people use the name of the club. RE "Cardiff were very naughty"  "Millwall Ran" It seems anyone who is in favour of a little bit of football violence turn all monosyllabic when referring to football fans/hooligans and forget to add anything after the club name. Or maybe it just a weird attempt to sound hard, I dunno.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRL said:

When talking about hooligans people use the name of the club. RE "Cardiff were very naughty"  "Millwall Ran" It seems anyone who is in favour of a little bit of football violence turn all monosyllabic when referring to football fans/hooligans and forget to add anything after the club name. Or maybe it just a weird attempt to sound hard, I dunno.

Ironic that ‘monosyllabic’ has so many syllables. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Industry term, innit, but I take your point.

Going back to the OP, what you so rarely read on here, but always restores your faith in human intelligence when you do, is when someone starts the thread arguing one point of view, but then has his or her mind changed by what others have posted and acknowledges it.  It seems to me, there's something about social media and making posts to strangers that stops many people being able to compromise and back down from set positions. Chatting with your mates in the pub, you are much more likely to change your mind or concede that the opposing view has something going for it. 

Absolutely, a rare thing in any context these days. One of the most valuable things my late Dad (a T&GWU shop steward) said to me was "Remember, sometimes the boss is right." A lesson I have tried to apply, replacing boss with the more general "person you disagree with."

As to the forum, I am perfectly happy to give a like to a post I disagree with if I think it has been well argued.

I'm fond of quoting Keynes:

"When the facts change I change my mind. What do you do sir?"

• Like 1

What’s quite interesting is a lot of the frequent ideas on this thread are all a bit of a hangover to the early days of OTIB.

Calling teams ‘Crapdiff’ and ‘Florist’ and discussing the ‘Pray offs’ has a real early 2000s vibe to it. The internet has evolved and so has the humour - it’s also interesting that it’s a certain poster who’s been around since those early days (and is a dogmatic old relic anyway) is the main offender! 

• Like 3