IGNORED

Annoying things people say in football chat on otib..

The dastardly red

2 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

The classic “Andi Weimann - he just runs about” was up there with the worst posts ever.

And people who call him Weinman.

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

And Wiemann.

People misspelling John Atyeo annoys me.

I appreciate many on here were not even born when he was playing and, in some cases, their parents probably weren’t either, but, for goodness sake; not only was he (in my opinion) the greatest City player in living memory, but we also have a stand named after him.

Digressing slightly, but he should also have been the player with the most appearances, and no doubt would have been were it not for some disgraceful shenanigans at the end of LC’s career.

• When people spell the names of players incorrectly (e.g. Wieman, Kallas, Massengo etc)

• People suggesting ridiculously over-simplistic solutions as though the players/manager/club haven't thought about it. (e.g. "Scoring goals is simple.....get it out wide and put crosses in the box. Why can't Pearson see this?") 

• People that get annoyed at the manager for "being too boring in interviews" or "just standing there in games". I assume these people are confusing the roles of a football manager and a court jester? 

• People with no ambition for the club. (e.g. "a club like us should be happy to just be in the Championship". *proceeds to watch Brentford win 4-0 against Man U in the Premier League*).

• Anyone that unironically suggests pay as you play contracts for older injury prone players who we clearly can't afford.

• Excessive use of the word "proven" when talking about signing players. Especially "proven 20 goal per season strikers".

• Posting updates from random and irrelevant games in the match day threads. ("Tranmere have just gone 1 up against Gillingham". Okay???). This also includes updates on Bristol Rovers games. 

Risible modern attempts at making new swearwords, such as "cockwomble" and "wankpuffin". These make me want to punch the user really hard in the face, for some reason.

Other than that, nothing really bothers me. I'm a Zen #&£@#&£@#&#. So much so that I think my nearest and dearest wish I gave more of a shit about them, or me, or anything really

6 hours ago, Bernard Lerring said:

People who pounce on a minor grammatical or spelling error, in a post which otherwise contains a decent point about football. 

It seems that some of these people are obviously waiting for such an opportunity, and have no intention of engaging in a football discussion. 

Weird behaviour 

Missing the full stop after "behaviour" there fella.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

People misspelling John Atyeo annoys me.

I appreciate many on here were not even born when he was playing and, in some cases, their parents probably weren’t either, but, for goodness sake; not only was he (in my opinion) the greatest City player in living memory, but we also have a stand 

I was one of those who couldn't remember if his surname was Atyeo or Atyeo. Then my word association (football) kicked in. His last syllable is also the first for the Celtic in disguise club from Somerset.....unless it is actually spelt Eyovil Town!

Sorted!

Edited by Norn Iron
Flippin' phone spellchecker again. It even corrected my deliberate attempt to spell Big John's surname incorrectly!

2 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

I was one of those who couldn't remember if his surname was Atyeo or Atyeo. Then my word association (football) kicked in. His last syllable is also the first for the Celtic in disguise club from Somerset.....unless it is actually spelt Eyovil Town!

Sorted!

Hopefully, you are now satisfied that the correct spelling is, indeed, Atyeo ?.

4 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Sorted!

I give up. 3 times I've tried to edit the deliberate misspelling. My phone won't let me spell John's name incorrectly. Major doffing of the cap to Samsung.

2 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Hopefully, you are now satisfied that the correct spelling is, indeed, Atyeo ?.

Indeed Phil I am. If Samsung says it's Atyeo, then Samsung must be correct....or I have programmed my phone accordingly or this Verdicchio Wine is amazing or all 3 etc!

12 hours ago, Supersonic Robin said:
  • When people spell the names of players incorrectly (e.g. Wieman, Kallas, Massengo etc)

• People suggesting ridiculously over-simplistic solutions as though the players/manager/club haven't thought about it. (e.g. "Scoring goals is simple.....get it out wide and put crosses in the box. Why can't Pearson see this?") 

• People that get annoyed at the manager for "being too boring in interviews" or "just standing there in games". I assume these people are confusing the roles of a football manager and a court jester? 

• People with no ambition for the club. (e.g. "a club like us should be happy to just be in the Championship". *proceeds to watch Brentford win 4-0 against Man U in the Premier League*).

• Anyone that unironically suggests pay as you play contracts for older injury prone players who we clearly can't afford.

• Excessive use of the word "proven" when talking about signing players. Especially "proven 20 goal per season strikers".

• Posting updates from random and irrelevant games in the match day threads. ("Tranmere have just gone 1 up against Gillingham". Okay???). This also includes updates on Bristol Rovers games. 

Chris Houghton

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Some bloke said on this thread that calling someone a “spunk trumpet” made you middle class. Blew my mind tbh

Those sort of "insults" have been popularised on Twitter by the largely middle class Liberal Democrat "FBPE" types. That's where that idea has come from. 

The sort of people who follow @RussInCheshire and "Very British Problems". 

I really really hate it on match threads when we concede and there are about 30 messages consisting only of “balls” “ffs” and “bollox” There’s no need for it, we all know what’s happened and it clogs up the thread, making it more difficult to read the actual discussion. 

Score updates from other games also annoy me, unless it’s one that’s particularly relevant and accompanied by an actual discussion.

Edited by Wanderingred

17 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

I really really hate it on match threads when we concede and there are about 30 messages consisting only of “balls” “ffs” and “bollox” There’s no need for it, we all know what’s happened and it clogs up the thread, making it more difficult to read the actual discussion. 

Score updates from other games also annoy me, unless it’s one that’s particularly relevant and accompanied by an actual discussion.

oh, sometimes that's all that needs to be said :crying:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Selred said:

Signatures under posts. Sorry @Mad Cyril I do agree with the Ukraine No War statement, but it fills up most of my screen.  @BigTone and @PhilC can add you to this as well.

You can turn signatures off in settings so you don't have to see them at all.

For me, there are some of these that seem strange that someone would have a problem with i.e. The Gate.  What's wrong with that?!?  And other things that are simply common phrases like "early doors" etc are pretty harmless.

But what astonishes me more is the lack of annoyance with the improper use of the word "of", as in "could of", "should of", "would of" etc......

• Like 2